Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Foggy Entry Door Window

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get the entry door window on a 2003 Horizon repaired or replaced (West Coast - California or Oregon)?
I had it replaced at Forest City three years ago but it started fogging up the next year.

Has anyone just ordered a window and replaced it themselves?

Thanks

2003 Horizion 39WD
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Maybe replace it with 1/4 tempered glass??
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get the entry door window on a 2003 Horizon repaired or replaced (West Coast - California or Oregon)?
I had it replaced at Forest City three years ago but it started fogging up the next year.

Has anyone just ordered a window and replaced it themselves?

Thanks
check dave root in bend, or. i have not used him but he gets good reviews.

http://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan,
I have tried both phone and email contact on the website but no response.

2003 Horizion 39WD
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Finhawk,
I guess that is a possibility but I would like to keep the dual pane glass if I can.

2003 Horizion 39WD
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Call your local glass shop. They can make dual pane etc.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

x2 for local glass shop, we had a foggy window up front drivers side, the weird shaped one next to the windshield, our local glass guy ordered a replacement for us and when it came in he installed it in about 20 minutes. It looks great, double pane, window and labor $164.00.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the ideas. I tried my local glass shop first and got nowhere. I'm not sure he even knew what an RV was. If I took it in that might be a possibility but I cannot leave the door without the glass overnight. I'll keep looking.

2003 Horizion 39WD
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've used Safelite at home in MO and on the road in the SF Bay area. Their price was reasonable and they showed up on time. They seemed to be familier with RV's.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Bob,
First off, dual pane glass in motor homes has had its share of problems. It doesn't matter what the coach is, manufacturer, model etc. Just about all makes and models have had an issue with this at one time or another. Some folks have been lucky and never had any issues at all, others, have had constant problems.

In the '99 Bounder we had, it had dual pane throughout. Well, eventually the drivers side, next to the driver and the same one on the passenger side, both slider and stationary, started fogging up. The process of making "air tight" high quality dual pane windows is way above about 99.9% of the "local glass shops" out there. As one of your answers stated, the glass shop that they used had to "ORDER" the replacement and then install it. They DIDN'T make it.

What I did was have the two dual pane windows (glass only) replaced with LAMINATED GLASS of the same thickness. I even got to choose the tint that was in between the glass panes. When it was all said and done, it looked and acted identical to the original set of windows. The coach was no hotter, colder, no sweating (as I was told would happen) at all. Those two windows will NEVER FOG AGAIN!!!!!!!! Period!!!!!!!!! The cost was close to the same as getting replacement windows from Atwood so, I just figured I'd never have to mess with them again.

Now that process IS something that 100% of the glass shops CAN DO.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had two fogged widows that I fixed myself. I mean de fogged them and resealed them. The cost was zero. If you are handy it can be done.
I just drilled two small holes in the spine between the glass on opposite sides and using my air compressor, blew out all the moisture and then blew in some inert gas from my MIG welder and sealed the whole perimeter with silicone sealer.
My next one is the door window, It is doing what your is doing . I do like FIRED UP'S idea of the laminated glass but I hate to spend money if I can do it myself.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

There's also a place in Eugene that was recommended to me by a neighbor in an RV park who used them to replace a windshield. They also do side RV windows and door windows. I called them once to get a price on my door window and they were very reasonable. I have yet to get mine replaced, though.

I believe they can do it in either the standard double pane or tempered.

RV Windshield Distributor, Oregon Conversion Bus Glass Supplier, RV Windshield Replacement
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies. I have requested info from several of the links but it will be next week before I hear anything, I do think the idea of laminated glass is worth looking into. I will post what I find out.

Thanks again to everyone.

Bob W6VY

2003 Horizion 39WD
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
Thanks Dan,
I have tried both phone and email contact on the website but no response.
i think that dave works rallies. it may take him a while to get back to you.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Coach Glass in Eugene, OR. Wonderful people, great work. RV Windshield Distributor, Oregon Conversion Bus Glass Supplier, RV Windshield Replacement They removed, cleaned, and replaced the pilot window, the first windows towards the front on the driver and passenger side, and the kitchen window. Because the door window was so bad, they replaced it. They were accurate with their estimate and stuck to it.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Coach Glass in Eugene, OR. RV Windshield Distributor, Oregon Conversion Bus Glass Supplier, RV Windshield Replacement They removed, cleaned, and replaced our pilot window, both front living room windows, and our kitchen window. They also replaced the door window because it was so bad. They do great work, are very personable and helpful, and have a very fair price. You can stay on their lot (they have 3 30amp spots and they're first come, first served.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info on the 3 30 amp spots. I should hear back from them early this week.

2003 Horizion 39WD
Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Ended up getting an appointment at Coach Glass for next month. They are great to deal with over the phone and by email and seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks all.

2003 Horizion 39WD
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

They're great in person too! Say "hi" to Tim Lemon for us. Get there early if you need to overnight.

Tags
door, window