Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ok, I did a quick search but didn't see a hit for my problem.

2001 Itasca, 35U. Today the passenger side window is getting fogged. There are 3 panes...one that slides (it is ok); one that is fixed (it is the main culprit); and the narrow one across the top (that is also fogging..but I can live with that...its mate on the driver's side was fogged when we bought it.)

Where do I begin here? I'm out of Winnie warranty but do have an extened one. Is this something common? Is this something that can be fixed by a window place or who?

Dang.....

Thanks in advance...Steve
Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ok, I did a quick search but didn't see a hit for my problem.

2001 Itasca, 35U. Today the passenger side window is getting fogged. There are 3 panes...one that slides (it is ok); one that is fixed (it is the main culprit); and the narrow one across the top (that is also fogging..but I can live with that...its mate on the driver's side was fogged when we bought it.)

Where do I begin here? I'm out of Winnie warranty but do have an extened one. Is this something common? Is this something that can be fixed by a window place or who?

Dang.....

Thanks in advance...Steve
Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Steve...I had a 2001 Adventurer 35U that I bought new. The passenger window(the fixed pane)was replaced under warranty for fogging. When We traded it in for our Horizon,in Dec.2004, that window plus the smaller top window on both sides were starting to fog up again. I never had a problem with any of the other windows in the coach fogging, just those front windows.

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Warrenh...Thanks! Who fixed yours? Dealer, glass place or ?. Steve
Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Steve

I presume from your problem that you have dual pane windows, and that the "fogging" is between the two panes of glass. That means the seal is broken between the to panes. Normally, the only fix is to replace the window. I've not heard of anyone being able to restore the seal and required vacuum or whatever that was originally between the two panes.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have a 2001 Itasca and have the same problem with the same windows. It's a real pain trying to see the passenger mirror through that window at times. Other times it is fine. I haven't checked, but I would think any good glass place could replace those windows with tempered glass. I don't think double hung is important in that location.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

when I bought my 2001 Itsaca sunrise 30W it had a window in the bedroom where the outside pane of the dual pane was broken. I was able to order a new one from Winnebago. and replaced it myself. I even followed the link on this form page at the top to the parts cataloge and found the part I needed. Hope this helps

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

RV Carpenter: how difficult was it to do this? I'm somewhat handy (takes me only 3 trips to the hardware store for a project).
Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well it was a completely different window, it was one that opened and closed. once I figured it out it only took an hour. (45mins to figure it out and 15 mins to do it) It was fairly easy with no trips to the hardware store Now thw indow your talking about is a fixed window and is mounted differently.

If you look in the parts catalog (link below) on page 283 is a drawing of the window I think your talking about. I guess you can decide for yourself. might be worth a try you have to buy the window anyways, and if you can't put it in then just take it in and give them the window and have the dealer do it.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/%7Eservi...CA/1ifg35u.pdf

Seattle, WA
Old 04-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Why not call Winne, maybe they will be nice to you.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don-Savannah, GA:
Why not call Winne, maybe they will be nice to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I did (by email). Got a quick reply that was what I expected: "If the windows have fogged, a bad seal has developed in the window. The windows were warranted for a period of one year through Winnebago and two years through Atwood. Replacement glass can be obtained through an authorized Winnebago dealer."

RV Carpenter: Thanks for the link. I was looking for my catalog and forgot about the pdf version. Think you're right. Steve
Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you do it yourself let us know how hard it is, I have the same type windows and I am sure I will have to replace sometime.

Seattle, WA
Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

go to www.atwoodmobile.com, they can supply just the failed window instead of having to buy the whole assembly from Winnebago. Much cheaper
Vt Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem with my 97 Vectra. The passenger windows were replaced last week by a local glass dealer. They had done many Rv's and I checked out their work before taking mine in. The whole unit has to be removed to do the passenger's side. You can order the sealed units from Lichtsinn or in my case have the units made locally. The drivers side is being done this week but the window unit does not have to be removed - only the rubber strip on the outside.I do most of the fixing on my moho but this is one job for a pro. I watched the whole job - installing & sealing the whole assembly is not for a novice. Price for passenger side $800.00. Much cheaper for other side as it will only take 1 hour.
Norm Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I guess I got a bargin at only $600 for the window and the labor. By the selling dealer.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I posted this in response to another thread.

Last year I went thru the issue of having the small pane over passenger side replaced. Not from leakage, but from BB shot.

Dealer would only replace whole unit. I ordered the glass from mobility rv near the factory. Picked it up while at the GNR & asked Winnebago to replace the glass during my service work. They would not. Said they had tried it in the past, and 4 out of 5 developed leaks again & they were stuck with replacing the whole unit under warranty. So they only replace whole units now.

I had them replace the whole unit, total of $818.06 (I had $250 ded so insurance paid rest).

I thought I would be smart and I kept the old unit, took it back to GNR & spent a day trying to get it apart. I figured I could salvage the other pieces & learn how to do it myself.

First off, that unit is HEAVY. Second, it is pretty well glued together during assembly. The metal pieces are put together really wierd.
I couldn't get anything apart without breaking the other glass, so I threw it away.

Tongue in cheek:

When the window fogs, shoot it with a BB gun.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I've sat back long enough and read about these windows problems. The issue is with Atwood, it's a shame that a lot of folks are put through the run around and expense of fixing their mistakes. Where do you thing Pella and Anderson would be today if their dual pain windows leaked and they didin't cover the repair. I don't know of any residential window company that doesn't warrant their windows for less the 20 years. So whats up with Atwood, their windows aren't any different?

Hey Bruce, if your reading this, it's time Atwood stepped up to the isssue and took care of these problems. Dual pain window leaks and fogging should be the last thing a coach owner should have to worry about.

Myself, I think Winnebago should take care of these problems and charge the cost back to Atwood. This has been a long running problem; what, do they think that after their chincy one year warranty runs out, that the problem ceases to exist? Not hardly!

radarr
Old 06-16-2006, 04:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Fogged windows to me is a good reason for a safety recall. Especially the front side windows,when they fog up in the winter, or on a damp day. Trying to see your mirrors clearly can be one difficult job. No amount of defroster will clear these windows. There is hardly anything any of us use more than our rear view mirrors while driving.
They are absoutely essential to the safe operation of a motor home. Who ever came up with this design should have realized this. I truly think these defective windows require a re-call. A voluntary recall would be good, but in the end, a forced re-call is in order.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:51 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Re the 2 posts right above. I sure agree. I'm kind of laid back and take the attitude of "stuff happens" when things break but when the same exact things keep breaking in the same exact locations, then there is a manufacturing problem. (on edit: and this seems to be over a lot of model years!) When I posted this awhile back, I was very surprised to see how many had the same windows fogged (the narrow ones up high) and the ones that block the mirrors. The high one was fogged when we bought it but I didn't think much of it since it is out of the way...but the mirror blocking is a different matter. Steve
Old 06-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Radaar and Homer you are both correct, now, how do we get the ball rolling on this issue? Conntact the BBB or something like that? I'm just waiting for my replacment window to do the same thing again. I sure hope not.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote