Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Fogged over headlights 2002 Ultimate Advantage

Probably like the majority of us, my headlights have "fogged over" pretty bad. Talked with Winnebago about replacement lights but, all they could was say was that they are "Ford" lights. I think they may be Ford Mercury Grand Marquis lights but, don't know for sure. Does anyone out there know what model of Ford they come from and what year. The only numbers visible on the front are for the certifications and are not part numbers. The Ford emblem is visible on the front so I know they are from a Ford product just don't know which one. Any help appreciated.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There should be factory numbers on the light, and you can google the number and it should give you more information on the light. The headlights in my 2005 Winnebago Voyage are from a 1999 Ford Ranger.

Maybe someone on here has the same make and model of motorhome, and can help you.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I had amazing results with the headlight restorer stuff from mothers. Used my cordless drill and they cleaned up beautifully. Like $25. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have tried the Mother's product but, to no avail -- mine are too far gone. I am hoping that someone will know the part number prior to my having to remove the lights so I can have the replacements in hand when I do remove. No part numbers are visible on the front of the lights so I am assuming they are on the back side which I can not easily get to to read. Thanks for the replies so far - still crossing fingers.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I used the 3M kit from auto parts store cost about $35.00 had 4 different grits of sand paper, to use with drill and the results was great, looked like new.
Cubby afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'll take a look at my ultimate freedom's lights in the AM and see if i can get a pic of the P/N. I think they are mercury mystique '95-97 ish.
mcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Look at the lens, toward the bottom. There should be some numbers that start with DOT. Do a search on the Internet and you'll find what they fit, then you can look on Amazon or eBay for sellers. I did that with our CC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #8
aa1ssradio

Mercury Mystique. 1996 0r 1997. That is what I had on my 1999 Ultimate when I replaced them.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If you belong to Sam's club go there. For around $30 to polish them clear, lifetime warranty and you don't have to do the work.

Had one car done and the headlights have remained clear for 3 years now.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have looked at sites for the Mercury Mystique lights (year model 1996 - 1997 and they appear to be the ones that I am looking for. Found a pair for $166.00 (new OEM compatible) with free shipping and no tax. Have ordered and will up date when they arrive. Thank all of you for your help and suggestions.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

2002 Ultimate advantage headlights

I ordered these lights and have them in my possession however I have not installed them. I started to but soon found it was impossible to do unless I removed the front cap. I called Winnebago and they confirmed that this has to be done to install them. I just can't make myself tackle this job, maybe after awhile I'll get done. 79 and don't have the agility I used to have.,
grant3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Try this procedure before you go to all that trouble of replacing them. I haven't personally tried it but plan to.

I discovered this by accident as I was cleaning the fender area by the headlight for painting.
I ran a microfiber cloth, wet with lacquer thinner, across the area I was prepping for paint and I accidentally went over the old, foggy, looking like crap headlight. To my total amazement the opaque layer of the headlight came right out and was left behind was a crystal clear lense !!!
I made a quick pass over the rest of the headlight and I was astounded by the result. A second quick pass, (quick is the trick!), and the results are what you see on the photos!
I immediately did the same on the rest of my cars and 2 years later the headlights still look this good.
I would recommend trying a small corner of your headlight before doing the whole headlight.

What seems to ensure success is:
1. Use lint free cloth,(I prefer microfiber cloth),
2. Use enough Lacquer thinner,
3. Use a light continuous motion and don't go over the surface again, until the solvent evaporates and the lense "hardens" again
(about 30sec).
4. Please, use proper hand protection, ie: Nitrile gloves, when using solvents of any kind. The long term effects of exposing your bare
skin to solvents is nasty and irreversible!

Give it a try and have a great success with your project!)

PS: As an experiment to potentially improve on the original process, about a year ago, I applied a coat of clear lacquer varnish on an old headlight. I sprayed the coat of varnish on the headlight immediately after I wiped the lense with the lacquer thinner, while the lense was still in the "green" state. A year later, with the headlight seating outside, exposed to the elements, there is no sign of deterioration, pealing or yellowing. I don't think this step is necessary but I add it here as an informative bit. )
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I tried several times to polish the headlights on my 06 Toyota Tacoma with mixed results. Generally the effects did not last long.

I found this web site Spyder Headlights - Best Prices & Reviews on Spyder Projector & Crystal Halo Headlights that had a pair of complete housings for my PU. The fit is good, the quality appears to be the same as the OEM ones and the lenses are crystal clear. I understand the lenses are made from a better quality plastic than previous versions.
Radioflyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Litewave ----- I will give this a try ---- thanks for the suggestion --- I will post my results and if it works, you may have found a solution for a lot of folks on this forum who have the "fogged" headlights.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Fogged Headlights

Try a terrycloth towel and insect repellant
Old 05-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

There are several sites on U-Tube. I followed the instruction on one (different grit sandpaper and clear gloss spray paint). Lights on 2006 tow vehicle now equal to DW's new Cadillac in brightness.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

My 2010 headlight plastic lenses started dulling more and more as time went on. Last year, I tried something I heard in a conversation somewhere.

I used plain old Arm&Hammer baking soda, applied with a sponge, and lots of water. Didn't take long, and the lenses were much clearer. Not like new, but noticeably better, and acceptable. Repeated after 6 months, got a little more improvement.

Not sure what the film is that coats these plastic lenses after time, but it does seem to only be on the surface.

I would expect that much older lenses will need much more work, but as a preventative, baking soda seems to work.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I finally had a chance to try the Acetone and microfiber towel cleaning on the lens. I saturated the towel in the area that I was going to "swipe" the lens with and then very quickly but firmly moved the towel over the lens -- small sections at a time but, NOT repeating where I had already been. I could not believe it -- the lens completely cleaned up !!!!!! I am going to wait another day and then apply polish to the lens to protect them from the UV rays which cause the problem to start with. I will probably use Blue Ice to wax them with. This was a very inexpensive way to clear the lens. Just make sure that you don't repeat any area after you make the cleaning swipe ---- the lens is soft from the Acetone and it will smear. Try on a spot that is not in the direct line of the light at first to see if it will clean your lens before doing the total lens. Thanks for the suggestion to try this way to clear them up !!!!!!

Tags
light, lights