Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flooring (NO MORE CARPET)

So the coach, (2004 Ultimate Advantage) came with carpet in living room and bedroom. (not furry kid friendly). Being a handy kind of guy im wanting to remove the carpet and install more pet friendly flooring. the question is has any one done this in there coach or did you just take it to a shop? if you did it any tricks or tips would be great.
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I replaced the flooring in my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U. It's a tedious but not a technically difficult DIY project. Removing the old adhesive under the vinyl and carpet where it's glued down is time consuming and frustrating. If you can handle being on your knees for hours at a time (get good knee pads), the installation is pretty satisfying. Two people can probably do it three times as fast as one. I'm shocked at the thousands of dollars some posters have said this job has cost them.

I replaced my carpet with 19" square commercial carpet tiles and my vinyl with peel-and-stick "luxury vinyl" planks. The carpet tiles are a nice compromise and being that they're tiles, easy to replace if damaged or stained (I bought extra, just "in case"). I used two-sided carpet tape instead of adhesive, figuring that, if it didn't work, I could always re-install it with adhesive. So far, the tape has held and the carpet tiles haven't been a problem with our four year old Border Collie, but he's house trained.

I could have used luxury vinyl throughout. It's also available in snap-together planks, similar to laminate. I chose the peel-and-stick since it's thickness matched up better with my carpet tiles than the snap-together version. If I was doing the whole coach I'd probably go the snap-together route. Just make sure you leave room for expansion at the edges as specified in the installation instructions. Also, it's probably not going to be warranted for RV installation but I think that's pretty much a CYA thing on the part of the manufacturers.

Engineered wood planks won't be pet friendly or waterproof and, although laminate is pet friendly, it isn't waterproof. Even the so-called water resistant/proof type is only good for 24 hours. This isn't good for pets (or RV leaks) either. This is why I chose the luxury vinyl. We have had luxury vinyl planks in our house since Feb 2017 and it looks like wood and has held up well. Here is some info on "waterproof" laminate:

https://floorcritics.com/waterproof-laminate-reviews/

An indispensable tool for this job is an oscillating multi-tool. Not only is it good for trimming the planks to fit around irregularities and undercutting trim moulding, it's good for scraping stubborn adhesive. I have both a corded and battery version and prefer the corded for this job. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive one that works well.

Also, don't worry about removing that last little bit of carpet under your slides. Just extend the slide and cut the carpet back as far as you can by angling your knife under the edge. You'll never see it after sliding the new flooring under the edge. Removing it is difficult and, in doing so, you can damage your slide's "glide bar" if you have one (don't ask me how I know this). Depending on your slide and the thickness of your new floor, you may or may not need to use removable protective strips to protect your hard flooring when retracting the slide. You can use left-over pieces of your vinyl planking for this.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

One thing to consider. The glide used in winnebago's for carpeted surfaces is different than the glide for hard surfaces (tile, sheet goods, laminate) . The glide for carpet is a plastic polymer and is hard. The glide for hard surfaces is carpet covered wood. I researched that when I ripped out the carpet in my coach. It's chance that the hard glide would scratch up the new flooring. Not a chance IMO, I wanted to take. I pulled my slides and removed all the carpet and changed out my glides. I did not remove the carpet in the cab area. (bigger pain the removing the slides).
Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckinley View Post
One thing to consider. The glide used in winnebago's for carpeted surfaces is different than the glide for hard surfaces (tile, sheet goods, laminate) . The glide for carpet is a plastic polymer and is hard. The glide for hard surfaces is carpet covered wood. I researched that when I ripped out the carpet in my coach. It's chance that the hard glide would scratch up the new flooring. Not a chance IMO, I wanted to take. I pulled my slides and removed all the carpet and changed out my glides. I did not remove the carpet in the cab area. (bigger pain the removing the slides).
Any glide strip can catch grit or a small rock and damage a hard surface floor.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Jeff, we have 2 dogs and 2 cats that have free run of our 2003 Journey DL. I would never think of pulling up the carpet and replacing it, it just works too well as it is. You have 3/8" ceramic tile other than what's carpeted?

dick and linda...over on whidbey
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The dog is a heavy shedder.
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
04 Winne Ult Advantage

Flooring in 2004 Ultimate Advantage

Hi,

I also have a 2004 Ultimate Advantage and was considering removing the carpet in the living room. I am concerned about the slide scratching the new flooring. Did you put in the new flooring yet? How did it go?

Here is my unit: http://www.mhsrv.com/2004-winnebago-...er-tx-i2358245
luce61906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
04 Winne Ult Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koja View Post
So the coach, (2004 Ultimate Advantage) came with carpet in living room and bedroom. (not furry kid friendly). Being a handy kind of guy im wanting to remove the carpet and install more pet friendly flooring. the question is has any one done this in there coach or did you just take it to a shop? if you did it any tricks or tips would be great.
Did you get your flooring done? Any problem with the slide scratching the new floor?
luce61906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well,
Everyone's got their own ideas and tastes, for what kind of potential flooring to be used as a replacement floor. Our coach too, is an '04 but, it's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, like yours, it had carpeting in a somewhat similar design and arrangement. Being it was an '04, and with just under 90K on the clock, it was showing its age. Not torn up, not really worn, just getting UGLY as time went on.

So, we too pondered all the different floors that we could install. Nothing really appealed. And, like our new home, a non-carpeted floor has tendency to resonate sound. So, we weren't too quick to decide. Then, some friends who have an almost same year coach, decided to have theirs recarpeted. They hired a company to do it. From the time they signed the paper, to the time it was completed, about 3 days.

They called us over to look at the completed job. It took me and the wife, about 30 seconds to decide, "yep, it's new carpet for us". We drove from their home, to the showroom and spoke with the owner. The wife picked out the color and style, in about 10 minutes. It was gonna be about 3 days before they could get to the job so, I gutted the coach.

Long story short, they came, they removed all existing carpet and, the next day, they started installing the new stuff. The bob was completed two days later. Without a doubt, new carpet changed the interior looks of this coach, beyond belief. Then, we built, upholstered and installed, all new valances. Then, I disassembled the two section, motorized couch/recliner and took all the pieces to a local upholsterer. That job took 7 days.

The coach looks 100% more modern and more cozy than it did. Now, again, this was our decision to recarpet. We too have a dog. It's a mini Schnauzer and doesn't shed. We too were concerned about the potential marks on the floor, from the slide, if we were to change from carpeting to some form of fake wood, vinyl, whatever. So, for noise abatement, coziness, warmth, quietness, and fuzziness on the feetzies, we chose to recarpet. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	171387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	171388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	171389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	171390  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

As Fireup says, depends on personal taste and how you use your rig.

I agree, hiring a carpet pro is just good sense. But laying hard surface is well within the scope of a determined "handy kind of a guy".

As carpet averse folks, we laid in vinyl tile several years ago. Intend to rip out and re-lay with different color/pattern when we return from our spring trip. Process described here http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...de-350702.html

We've not noticed an increase in interior noise, altho neither do we wear street shoes into our rig OR our sticks n bricks. Super easy to keep white glove clean.

We are 46 years down range and still enjoy each other so have no pets . But we often host two long haired granddaughters who shed their body weight on every trip. Nice not picking long strands of hair out of the carpet.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
I agree, hiring a carpet pro is just good sense. But laying hard surface is well within the scope of a determined "handy kind of a guy".
You don't need a pro to install carpet tiles. As I mentioned earlier, I used 19" (maybe they're 20") commercial carpet tiles, securing them with carpet tape. Installation is super easy since you cut and fit as you go, just like you would with vinyl tiles.

They're low nap, easy to clean while still warm underfoot with some sound deadening qualities. If you buy extra, you can always replace a badly stained piece if necessary.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Long story short, they came, they removed all existing carpet and, the next day, they started installing the new stuff.
I'm using a computer with a smaller screen tonight rather than my larger iMac, so I THINK one of your pictures is a slide-out. If that's the case, how does it work when replacing the carpet at the dinette / sofa slide-out? How far under the slide is there carpet and how did the installer access this area?

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I'm using a computer with a smaller screen tonight rather than my larger iMac, so I THINK one of your pictures is a slide-out. If that's the case, how does it work when replacing the carpet at the dinette / sofa slide-out? How far under the slide is there carpet and how did the installer access this area?

Thank you. -RT
On my 35U, the dinette/sofa slide was completely carpeted. I'd already removed the sofa to replace it with recliners and I removed the dinette as well. Neither is a difficult DIY job. The carpet goes all the way under both but there's really no reason to remove the dinette, the installer can carpet right up to it. As far as the sofa goes, I'd suggest removing it in case you ever decide to replace it with something different. It will come apart into pieces that will fit through your door.

Alternatively you could let the installer work around it and keep enough new carpet to re-carpet the area under the sofa if necessary in the future.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

How did you get the slide out. I have all the stops off but don't want to slide the slid it out to far???
Braveman 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I didn't take my slide out or over-extend it at all. There's no need to remove any of the old carpet under the slide. Just cut it with a utility knife as far under as you can reach, holding the knife at an angle. If necessary you can install a flat transition strip to neaten things up.

If your MH is anything like mine, that last little bit of carpet extends over the plywood ramp on the floor at the wall. This is functional in that it raises the inboard end of your slide as it's extended, compressing the top seal. Removing that last bit of carpet is not only difficult to do without causing damage to the plastic bar that slides over your carpet. It's also difficult to replace in order to retain the proper lifting action. (don't ask how i know all this).
Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post

Thank you. -RT
RT,
Sorry for taking so long to get back here. The carpet layer laid carpet right up to the adjoining edge where the slide finishes extending. And, the slide carpet has an overlapping edge that lays on top of that adjoining edge. So, you never, ever see the joint where the carpet meets the slide when the slide it out, if you can picture what I'm trying to describe. It all looks like Itasca did it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

My unit has vinyl linoleum in a tile-like pattern installed by the previous owner. Looks good and easy to sweep the sand and dog hair* out. They also had thicker vinyl wood planks installed in the driver's cabin area. I've been told that area is subject to more flexing so the linoleum doesn't work. They left the original carpet under the sliders.

(*Dog owners consider dog hair a condiment.)
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote