Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flooring

Anyone having a problem with their flooring coming up. I have a 2016 Itasca 35G with laminate floor tiles. After the big slide on the drivers side was extended I noticed about ten tiles have shifted.
I talked to a lady at CW with a 2017 35G she said her tiles started coming up a week after she took delivery.
It would be interesting to know how widespread this problem is.
FLjeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
no issues im our '16 suncruiser 38q

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

LVT not Laminate...

Laminate flooring is "floating" and "clicked" together. LVT flooring are tiles or planks "glued" to the subfloor. If you'll private message me a photograph of the loose tiles and a separate picture of a tile you've removed so I can see the backing I can recommend a permanent adhesive to make the fix.

Be CAUTIOUS not to break or rip a tile/plank being removed. Use a heat gun on the lower setting and a wide (thin) drywall spatula for best results without damage.

Thanks. Eric Turnquist (Turnquist Carpets)
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie_ENT View Post
Laminate flooring is "floating" and "clicked" together. LVT flooring are tiles or planks "glued" to the subfloor. If you'll private message me a photograph of the loose tiles and a separate picture of a tile you've removed so I can see the backing I can recommend a permanent adhesive to make the fix.

Be CAUTIOUS not to break or rip a tile/plank being removed. Use a heat gun on the lower setting and a wide (thin) drywall spatula for best results without damage.

Thanks. Eric Turnquist (Turnquist Carpets)
Thanks Eric, we are finishing up a three week trip and will be back home on Friday 3/31/17. I will PM you when I get to the house, I just brought basic mechanic tool for the trip.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2014 37F Adventurer and our floor tiles are shifting also. I contacted
Winnebago and learned they are peel and stick. They can be heated with a hair dryer and peeled up and re-glued. I have not done it yet. I attempted to buy new tiles but Winnie wants $20 a tile. If you have repaired yours what adhesive did you use?

Thanks
Bill
bzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My 2015 Vista 30T is now beginning to show divets where we sit in the chairs. Not too happy about this. I may remove the plastic dots with felt pads to see if this makes a difference.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzny View Post
We have a 2014 37F Adventurer and our floor tiles are shifting also. I contacted
Winnebago and learned they are peel and stick. They can be heated with a hair dryer and peeled up and re-glued. I have not done it yet. I attempted to buy new tiles but Winnie wants $20 a tile. If you have repaired yours what adhesive did you use?

Thanks
Bill
Bill: I have not attempted a repair yet,been kinda busy. I was looking at the floor today more of is coming up my guess is the slide rollers and Florida temperature has something to do with that.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This thread is over a year old but I have one tile that is lifting. I tried to use tile adhesive that you apply to the flooring and the tile, wait till it's dry to the touch and then place the tile. I weighted the tile down for 24 hours and it seemed OK. A week later it's lifting again.

I didn't remove the old adhesive before the repair. I'm thinking that's my next plan. And I'm in Florida and the heat is brutal right now.

What adhesive did others use? Did you remove the old adhesive and if so did you use mineral spirits? Any tips how to fix this?
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bob, when we purchased our "gently used" Journey several years ago, the first renovation we did was to replace the OEM carpet and vinyl tile with vinyl tile more to our liking. We heated the orig tile, lifted it and placed the new self stick vinyl without removing the old adhesive. Ton of work to do so, and two local tile shops advised not needed. However, like you, we had an area where four tiles came together (four corners) that curled up. We removed those four tiles, used Kwick Klean adhesive remover (because that was what ACE had), then used a generic subfloor sealer on the bare plywood, then laid four unused tiles. Solved THAT problem.

A characteristic of tile adhesive is that it stays pliable indefinitely. In a RV, tiles will "creep" laterally through foot traffic, furniture/wall vibration, etc. Seams will open up. Tiles will jam until they buckle. Tiles will even try to creep outside beneath slide outs. Not so much of a problem in a house because the tiles are captured by low vibration walls and subfloor. They need to be captured in our RV's, too. The simplest solution a staple driven unobtrusively around all walls and especially in the way of your slideouts. Every 12 - 16 inches as close to the wall as your stapler allows. Extend your slideouts and staple as close to the coach wall as possible.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Mustang to Mustang.... Thank you for the advice.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I am replacing my flooring in my 1996 winnebgo brave. In taking up the old flooring I have found that the galley area has an additional 1/4 inch plywood over it. This makes the floor have 2 levels. I think my floors are original so I think it must have had this extra 1/4 inch plywood on the galley area when originally built. Has anyone else found this? Did you take up the 1/4 inch or cover the rest of the floor with 1/4 inch plywood before you installed your new floor?
jmwsew is offline   Reply With Quote