Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

While we were at Cummins for the new fuel line bracket campaign, the tech needed access to the front (front as forward) area of the engine. (This is already getting confusing since the engine faces backwards )

Anyway, there is a large floor panel between the bed and the rear hanging locker (closet to you landlubbers). This panel is on the 'step' part of the floor and forms the right side of the step. Here is a picture of the floor panel.

Neither the tech nor I could figure out how to remove that floor section. We could lift it up some, but then it caught on the lip sticking out from the hanging locker. It can't move left or right enough to remove it either.

You all with our 40AD floorplan (or similar) - have you ever had that panel out?

It appears to me that I might need to disassemble the floor of the hanging locker enough to lift that protruding lip up so I can remove the floor panel. Then I could cut the floor panel in half.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

While we were at Cummins for the new fuel line bracket campaign, the tech needed access to the front (front as forward) area of the engine. (This is already getting confusing since the engine faces backwards )

Anyway, there is a large floor panel between the bed and the rear hanging locker (closet to you landlubbers). This panel is on the 'step' part of the floor and forms the right side of the step. Here is a picture of the floor panel.

Neither the tech nor I could figure out how to remove that floor section. We could lift it up some, but then it caught on the lip sticking out from the hanging locker. It can't move left or right enough to remove it either.

You all with our 40AD floorplan (or similar) - have you ever had that panel out?

It appears to me that I might need to disassemble the floor of the hanging locker enough to lift that protruding lip up so I can remove the floor panel. Then I could cut the floor panel in half.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

John: As I recall I had to remove the corner trim at the bed platform. Can't be positive but we did eventually remove the cover without much difficulty. I can't check mine right now as that slide is right up against the house.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I think C Zimm is correct.

But you nomenclature may be incorrect. It is more properly called a "Wish you had access panel"
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zimectrin:
I think C Zimm is correct.

But you nomenclature may be incorrect. It is more properly called a "Wish you had access panel" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Or "almost an access panel..."

Thanks Cliff and Steve!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

John ...

I have the 39W Journey ... my bedroom looks just like your Vectra 40AD

I have had that panel off a couple of times in my coach ... I removed the trap door to the storage below ... I raised the bed "board" ... then did a little jiggling of the panel ... and suddenly it came out ...

As I recall it was helpful to be able to grasp both ends of the panel as I was jiggling ...

I did not have to cut anything ... or dismantle anything to do with the closet ... in order to remove it ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'll have to make another run at removing the panel thanks to the advice from you guys - thanks!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

John,
I have a 2004 40AD so I think the floorplan is the same. My floor panel comes out to gain access to the hatch you are looking for. I lift the plywood panel along the edge along the closed doors. If you only lift that edge and pull it carefully but firmly, the carpet will give enough to allow the panel to pass by the lip along the closet edge. Get the corner by the washer dryer end of the panel started and it will pop out. Hope this helps.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I and two techs worked for well over an hour one hot July 16, 2007 in Omaha, NB trying to remove the floor panel to access that fuel line. (Ours line blew on the highway.) We finally sawed the panel. Forrest City, later that year recarpeted the two pieces, at our expense. They insisted the panel is removable. It sounds like some of them may be but ours sure wasn't.

06 Horizon KD
Blue Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

John,

My Journey 39K has the same panel. You do not have to remove anything from the closet, but work a long handle screwdriver from the far end of the closet side, pry it up and a little wiggling will slide the panel out.

You will have just as much fun putting the panel back in.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote