Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Flat Roof and Email to Winnebago

Hello,

Sorry that this is a duplicate (somewhat) post but the situation still not resolved in my view and I got very few replies before. Surely there are other Winnebago owners with the flat roof? Mine is the 31KP and it is a 2014. I suspect many of the Winnebago owners roofs are flat like mine and I really hope to find out from others if my worries are founded.

So, first question is Winnebago email. I sent and email and on their page they promise a response in a few days. It has been over a month and I called them two weeks ago and the tech pulled up my email and assured me they were behind but someone would answer by the end of the month (that is today and no answer) so I will probably call them on Monday. Any ideas of a good person to contact there? Someone on the forum gave me an email once? In my email I sent very good details and pictures of the water standing on the roof. Others have experience or know ways to get Winnebago to answer emails? My thinking is that if they say all if fine and normal at least I would have that on record?

Now to to roof matter. There is no crown that I can detect. Is this normal for a Winnebago roof in recent years? Is it normal to have a thick layer of sealant on the sides and front so that the water will naturally dam up from either rain or A/C condensation? We have now camped in 15 places since purchase on 28 March 2014. EVERY time that it rained or I used the A/C when we pulled away we have a gush of water running off the roof. If the RV is leveled correctly the water will simply not leave the roof until it either A. evaporates or B. you travel up or down a hill. And I am not talking about a little bit of water - several gallons if you have been there a few days running the A/C and if it rained then probably 20 or more gallons.

I have pictures of water standing (I sent to Winnebago) and it is easy to see that the water is standing there on the roof and not leaving as described above.

I just can't get past the idea that standing water on a roof is asking for problems. I have owned several RVs in the past but all had a crown roof and the a/c and rain came off very easily.

I don't think I can be the only Winnebago 31KP 2014 owner. If others have the flat roof with no crown please tell me about the water leaving or not leaving your roof. I realize the fiberglass is not supposed to leak but I can't see myself physically getting up there (I am not good on ladders) and carefully checking the caulking every few months (but I will certainly do that if necessary). I don't want to wait until there is a leak to know I have a need for new caulking.

My roof design has front and side sealant and the back of the RV is overlapped downward with no sealant. One would think you could just raise the front enough that the roof would be unlevel enough to run off the back but I tried that and to get the water to run off the back you have to be so unlevel it is uncomfortable in the RV. I have no automatic levelers to use either. If I did have auto levelers I suppose I could raise the front very high (in some camp places) once a day to drain the water but that does not seem like a good option.

Again, sorry for the duplication post but I am really frustrated. We love the layout of this 31KP and some will remember my first posting after purchase this is the unit with no caulking in the front seal and it leaked badly all over the cab but the dealer spent two days correcting that issue - as well as other issues and now love the "winnie" if I could just get a handle on the roof issue. Other 31KP owners please let me know how your roof looks after running the A/C for a couple days!!

I just don't want to always be wondering if or when the roof will leak because of standing water - bound to eventually cause issues?

I can take more pictures - find the ones I posted - answer PM if necessary. Please help me.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
Please help me.
n5pht
There is no help....... every Winnebago I've owned since, (and including), my '75 class C, had a flat, (actually concave) roof.
They all eventually leaked because of the standing water.

BTW, Winnebago didn't listen to me in '85..Or in '89 or in '92... I doubt they will listen to you either.
Sorry.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
n5pht
There is no help....... every Winnebago I've owned since, (and including), my '75 class C, had a flat, (actually concave) roof.
They all eventually leaked because of the standing water.

BTW, Winnebago didn't listen to me in '85..Or in '89 or in '92... I doubt they will listen to you either.
Sorry.

Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks Mel - at least I know I am not alone! I will keep good records and pester Winnebago to at least give me the courtesy of an answer to my email and pictures.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Sightseer has a crowned roof. On my last factory tour about 5 years ago the lamination rollers for the roof still were curved so as to form the crown.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My Journey has a crowned roof. I've owned it since new (10 years) and it's never held water or leaked. I looked at the 2014 Vista brochure on line and on page 11 it mentions "crowned roof". I think something is amiss with yours...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

n5pht,
This is not to disagree or, chastise you in any way but, did you or did you not, inspect that entire coach, prior to purchase? In that, did you climb up on the roof to see what it looked like before you signed the dotted line? How about underneath? You see, when many folks are getting ready to buy, they do a pretty thorough inspection prior to actually either making the deal or, at least before getting serious. It gives them "ammo" for adjusting the price many times.

Our Itasca, a subsidiary of Winne, has crowned roof. As does many Journeys, Meridians and a whole host of other Winne products. Many years ago, we had an "Ultra" Class C, 27' unit. It had a flat, one piece aluminum roof. It would dump water either from rain or condensation too. I expected it because, I knew the roof was flat and, I always do my best to level our coaches for multiple reasons so, water will naturally puddle on a flat surface.

If yours has "border" around it for seals, edges, trim and more, then it will have a puddle if rain or condensation occurs. I'm not sure just what you'd expect Winne to do about it. Again, not disagreeing with you, or chastising you, only saying you should have known the roof conditions prior to purchase.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
n5pht,
This is not to disagree or, chastise you in any way but, did you or did you not, inspect that entire coach, prior to purchase? In that, did you climb up on the roof to see what it looked like before you signed the dotted line? How about underneath? You see, when many folks are getting ready to buy, they do a pretty thorough inspection prior to actually either making the deal or, at least before getting serious. It gives them "ammo" for adjusting the price many times.

Our Itasca, a subsidiary of Winne, has crowned roof. As does many Journeys, Meridians and a whole host of other Winne products. Many years ago, we had an "Ultra" Class C, 27' unit. It had a flat, one piece aluminum roof. It would dump water either from rain or condensation too. I expected it because, I knew the roof was flat and, I always do my best to level our coaches for multiple reasons so, water will naturally puddle on a flat surface.

If yours has "border" around it for seals, edges, trim and more, then it will have a puddle if rain or condensation occurs. I'm not sure just what you'd expect Winne to do about it. Again, not disagreeing with you, or chastising you, only saying you should have known the roof conditions prior to purchase.
Scott
Well, you are right of course - buyer beware! I am not very able to climb onto the roof actually but should have not went with the idea that Winnebago made a good product. That was my mistake for sure. I made too many assumptions thinking Winnebago would be a better product than I had before. After reading a lot on this forum that was probably a mistake.

I do expect them to answer my email as promised on their web page. I was told that Winnebago was making a flat roof for many, many years and now as you say, I am learning that is not true that in fact many of their product line has a crown roof. I guess I am stuck or take a large hit and trade again.

At this point I will figure out a way to get up there and inspect the seams on a regular basis and pray for the best. I guess the phrase (at least for me) applies "you don't know what you don't know." It never occurred to me to ask about where the a/c condensation will go - and that is definitely my mistake.

As to the other problems I have had (water leaking when new from front cap, water pump leaking, no sealant on sink in kitchen, drain on bathroom sink coming loose) I really didn't know anyway to check harder than I did on this new unit. How can you know the water pump is leaking? Can you take a water hose and spray the front cap before purchase? Maybe they should let us rent a unit for a week to decide where to buy it or not but I don't think that would fly?

Now that most of on our list seems to be worked out we hope to enjoy the MH for some years - if it just won't leak!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #8

NOTE: I actually did check on the water pump and saw water and dealer said it was the small screen filter and he put on a new one - turned out it was also the water pump and dealer did agree to send me a new one and I installed it myself.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Gary, don't overlook what I said about the Winnie brochure for your 2014 Vista saying it has crowned roof. I think they got some splainin to do...
Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Gary our 2013 itasca pored condensation from the front ac into our ceiling I could not get satisfaction from Winnebago and got chastised for posting here. I have talked with some tiffin owners wh had a flat/concave roof tiffin replaced their roof, so it can be done. Keep after Winnebago and your dealer . I hope you have more luck than we did with ours.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Gary, don't overlook what I said about the Winnie brochure for your 2014 Vista saying it has crowned roof. I think they got some splainin to do...
Tom - thanks but mine is the Minnie Winnie 31KP not a Vista. I can't find anything in my literature claiming a crowned roof.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I was told that Winnebago was making a flat roof for many, many years and now as you say, I am learning that is not true that in fact many of their product line has a crown roof.
n5pht
I didn't mean to give you the impression that I thought ALL Winnebagos were built wrong, (aka: with a flat roof, that becomes concave is they age).
If I did I'm sorry.

I can only speak truthfully about the Winnebagos I have owned.
BTW, until I read your post I had assumed that they had it figured out by now.
Apparently it's true: "You can't you teach an old dog Winnebago new tricks"!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

oops - I saw the 31KP in your first post and confused it with the 31KE which is a Vista. I should have seen the Minnie Winnie in your signature. Hoping for a happy ending...
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2014 Itasca 31K with a flat (EPDM - not fiberglass) roof. In almost 15 months of ownership, I've never noticed water collecting on the roof. The Air Cond. has run almost every time we've used the MH and the water finds it's way off the roof somewhere or other. I just left a campground this morning, the air had been running for days and we had rain last night, but I didn't notice any significant amount of water coming off the roof when we left the site. Of course when I park, I only go for "level enough".
My 1997 Coachmen Catalina 22RK also has a flat roof and its never been a problem with that unit either. I feel there are enough other issues to be concerned with other than the flat roofs, as long as you keep up with proper maintenance on all your potential leak spots.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

i know some new AC units have water drain line under the roof line

this is not a every day AC units but some new 2013 2014 units that you are starting to see more and more

with that said i seen some where .. some where some one say there installed on flat roofs to keep the water from running down the side of the RV as some ppl dont like that or see water running down the side of the RV

if this is so and your unit has this setup it would be the water drain lines where not installed

but if this was a err in your RV i think you would be more posting water coming in the AC vents as the water pan is now under the roof line
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
i know some new AC units have water drain line under the roof line

this is not a every day AC units but some new 2013 2014 units that you are starting to see more and more

with that said i seen some where .. some where some one say there installed on flat roofs to keep the water from running down the side of the RV as some ppl dont like that or see water running down the side of the RV

if this is so and your unit has this setup it would be the water drain lines where not installed

but if this was a err in your RV i think you would be more posting water coming in the AC vents as the water pan is now under the roof line
The A/C condensation seems to be fine but just pools on the roof. I don't think there is any special drain line that is supposed to connected but that is an interesting idea. The rain water also collects on the roof. Maybe the answer is to pray for the best and keep an eye on the caulking. The caulking looks very good now and thick. The back of the RV has rolled over fiberglass so no caulking. The front and sides have the caulking. From climbing up there on a ladder (I have not attempted to get on the roof) it looks like Winnebago tried to leave a bit of an exit for the water in each front corner or it could be even worse. I think when it is sitting at home (if I have the fridge off) I will probably just run the front on boards to help the rain water run off the back and when camping just try not to worry so much. But I still think Winnebago should answer my email!

Thanks everyone for comments and still hope to meet others with a 31KP Winnie to see how they are faring on this issue.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I would certainly agree that the folks at Winnebago should care enough about any customer to answer an inquiry, by email or phone, whichever you indicated as your preference.

It may very well be that your coach was designed with a flat roof. I do believe that putting a flat roof on any RV is poor design. I had two fairly inexpensive travel trailers years ago (Wilderness by Fleetwood) and they had aluminum roofs. However, even on what was considered a budget level TT, they put a slight radius in the roof so water would not pool on it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure why you're waiting for an email. I've talked to the service/customer reps a number of times regarding a few different issues. They (at least he one's I've talked with) have been quite knowledgeable and helpful. They are quite capable of answering your questions and concerns. That's why they're there. There's no need to wait for an email from "someone at Winnebago".
Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

My 31H also has a flat roof.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #20

Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
My 31H also has a flat roof.
Thanks. Does your 31H hold water like I have described?

Tags
roof, winnebago