Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flaps won't flap

Just wrapping up our shakedown cruise at LazyDays in our new Suncruiser. Very successful, just a few issues with no show-stoppers.
However, I do have two "duh" questions (that's the noise I'll probably make when I get the correct answers ).
1. The water and electric service centers have this little plastic flap that you are supposed to flip down, route your access cord or hose through, then flip up so you can close the exterior access door with the hose and cord intact. The flap has two little red turn-clips.
OK, I can't figure them out. Tabs in every imaginable position, the flap won't flap down. I didn't want to force it, but the d$#% thing won't move for me. So, what the heck am I missing here?

2. Lounge chair (with the round metal base, recliner, leg rest ): very comfortable. But I can't figure out where to position it while in camp. Near the wall in it's traveling position is OK, but too close to recline. Moved away from the wall it just seems to get in the way of traffic, or block access -- it's like having a Buick in the living room . Where do you locate yours?

Thanks in advance!

Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Rich,
To open the "flaps" turn the two little red brackets toward each other (toward the center) then push down on the "flap". It has a built-in snap that helps keep it in place in case the red brackets aren't in the lock position. Sometimes it won't go as easy as it should and you have to give it a little extra push to open it.
The chair is exactly as you described it, a Buick in the room. When we get to our campsite we reposition the chair to where we want it and leave it there untill we leave the campsite. My wife thinks we need a slideout for that area.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Rich

We have similar on our 09 Meridian. With the tabs facing in, just give the flap a light hit down, should open. Think the tabs are extra insurance to keep closed.

Agree with you on the lounge chair. Since we have opposing slides, I think it's a little better than yours, but does get in the way a little. Also, our model does not have a restraining strap for the chair and stool. We installed two brackets on the wood behind the chair and strap it in with the stool while driving. Gives us a little more room and does not move around.

Nick Dienes
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The other members are right on. Give the flaps the "man" fix - a pop with your hand when the tabs are in the open position works nicely. I pull my chair out just far enough that it won't hit the wall when reclined - works okay for me that way - oh and I also turn the passenger chair to the side - seems to open things up a little more.

Many happy and safe journeys - enjoy.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Tom, Nick and IJ. I will try the fixes when I get back to camp.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2004 33V Suncruiser with the exact same flaps and everything said is correct. The red clips seem backwards, but just look at how they cross over the seam. It will work fine. If this is your only problem, then you are in great shape.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We have a 2004 33V Suncruiser with the exact same flaps and everything said is correct. The red clips seem backwards, but just look at how they cross over the seam. It will work fine. If this is your only problem, then you are in great shape.
Well, pretty much is the only problem except for a busted seal on a fixed window, already scheduled for replacement and no hassle.

I'm pretty happy with the quality control of this new rig so far, especially for such an "iffy" year for the industry.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We bought our coach used at Lazy Days and had a rought time with them. Get it right before your time is up. They have contracted drastically with the economy lately and be sure to get things fixed right. You can go back for a lifetime and get their free lunch and breakfast and get a discount at Rally Park. We just boondocked a night in their lot week before last.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Didn't purchase the rig there, and I wondered if they would give me grief over that. So far they have been friendly and courteous, but time will tell. They are the most convenient Winnebago warantee shop to us by far, but I would go elsewhere if I felt they were out of line.

From some casual conversations, I get the sense that someone cracked the whip over all the complaints that were piling in. Rally Park was a perfect place for a shakedown stay, with CW, WallyWorld, Lazydays, and everything else 5 minutes away. I was even able to go to work today while still camping at the park 30 minutes away.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We stayed 3 nights at Tampa East which is the next exit East from Lazy Days. It is a Pasport America (half price) camoground and quite a bit cheaper than Rally Park.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Everyone else is "right on" about the flaps and chair, I just want to say that I really like that 35L floor plan. Congrats and many happy miles.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

As stated, the little red tags are the "locks." The end upward that is flat and you would grap with your finger and thumb should both be oriented to the center of the flap for the "open" position. Once there, man tap it with your big toe, just kidding, but you may have to exert some pressure on it to snap it open.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Other coaches have the Buick problem as well. We opted out of the factory recliner & bought an Ikea Poang chair which is comfortable, rocks slightly, and doesn't try to crowd you out.

Congrats on the new baby. And thanks for helping keep the economy afloat. I heard that a coach sold.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just a follow-up -- the flaps flapped as expected after a manly effort. I was being too cautious not wanting to "force" anything (been to that party before).

Mike, I will check out that Poang chair -- they just opened an Ikea in Tampa, so it's an excuse to take a look. How do you pin it down for travel? And yes, the coach that sold last month was ours, though we feel like we stole it at a very attractive price.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ya shoulda stole it in today's economy full of HOPE.

We don't pin it down at all. It rides nicely right where it is and hasn't moved in 8,000 miles. That includes 2 trips down Baja peninsula where roads are not so good.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

In our remodeling project, we took our ring chair and moved it to a Wal-Mart parking lot. It was gone in 15 minutes. Hope someone enjoys it more than we did.

Jack
Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just a follow-up -- the flaps flapped as expected after a manly effort. I was being too cautious not wanting to "force" anything (been to that party before).

Mike, I will check out that Poang chair -- they just opened an Ikea in Tampa, so it's an excuse to take a look. How do you pin it down for travel? And yes, the coach that sold last month was ours, though we feel like we stole it at a very attractive price.

The 35U is simular to your 35L except that they removed the fold down table between the passenger seat and the lounge chair so the could push things foward to put a washer/dryer in the bedroom. I removed the Buick and bolted down a Flexsteel captains chair in its place. Now I have another belted seating position that is never in the way and always stays in its right place. It is hard to tell from the online floorplan if you have enough room there between the step well and the front passenger seat to do it however this has worked out quite well for me.