Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #41
JVG
Winnebago Camper

Mike,

I just read that you have a written procedure for replacing the windows.

Could you e-mail it to me.

My e-mal address is [email protected]

Thanks,

JVG
JVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

JVG,
I had Mike send the file to me just a couple of weeks ago. I just emailed it to you.

Mike in Florida,
Thanks for documenting this procedure. Having read thru it now, I feel confident that I know what kind of job this entails for a successful replacement that's not going to cost me "an arm & a leg".

I'm replacing the Vista window over the driver's door. It not only fogged up last Jan, but now it has about inch of water sitting in the bottom. Looks like a darn aquarium now just need the little fish in there. It'll be another month when I'm parked in one place for a few weeks to do this project. I'll post my results.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

I have uploaded the document for all to download. Once you click the link select save and you will have it saved on your computer. You will need Adobe Reader or other pdf viewer to read.
Atwood Window Repair
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Clay,

Thanks for agreeing to host the file. I hope it proves to be of value to others with similar issues.

Mike
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #45
Winnebago Watcher

I don't have any leaky windows. And if I did, I would proabably just purchase the entire window assembly and do the R&R myself. My time is worth money too!

However, HUGE props to Mike in Florida for taking the time to put together such a well written document. This is EXACLY why I read these forums. To find out great information like this.

Very well done!
time_to_go_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Ah, here's the thread that I wanted to respond to. We had visitors from Germany and my window replacement got put off while we toured most of western USA with them. (At least it seems that way).

I again want to thank Mike and others who provided info about the problem. If the weather is warm it is simple to remove the outer rubber trim, and simply dig out the black sealent around the glass from the inside, leaving the window frame where it is. The whole job can be done in a couple of hours (well maybe a little longer the first time).

Here is my post on the subject: http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/36110592541/p/2

Mike has given really good info on obtaining the replacement glass and the black urethane sealant. Thanks again and good luck.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #47
Winnebago Watcher

Request for photos, more info

Mike

Very interested in your window experience. I would like to do the same with my Holiday Rambler Endeavor driver side window, but do not know where to get new window. I am in FL also, and would like to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Florida View Post
Like many of you, I have lived with a water condensation problem in the Atwood (Excel) windows in my Winnebago Industries MH.

After reading a lot of discussion, and waiting impatiently for NHTSA, Winnebago or Atwood to step up on this issue, I decided to try and do something myself. I wanted to share my success, and let everyone know that by doing the labor myself, it didn't cost anywhere near the horrific quotes that I have seen posted by some coach owners.

I had a serious condensation problem in the now infamous small angled window between the drivers door and the windshield, as well as in the top eyebrow window and stationary glass on the passenger side of the coach. On the drivers side there was enough moisture between the panes that it had become a safety issue, and the passenger side was likewise becoming a similar concern, as the window was fogging and I could no longer clearly see the side mirror.

In my quest for solutions, I started with my local Winnebago/Itasca dealer who quoted me $465 + S/H just for the drivers side slant window. After haggling with them a little, I got them down to $364, as now they were doing me a favor... In a state of shock, I moved on, and continued hoping I would find a more cost effective solution.

I culled the Winnebago website and got the part numbers for my windows from the on-line build sheets. I emailed Atwood hoping for some help, any help. Atwood quoted me $274 for the drivers side slant window assembly, and $485 for the passenger side window assembly.

Still seeking a cost effective solution, I decided to remove the window and drill small holes through the frame to allow the window to breathe, which others had suggested. After a couple of days with little signifcant progress, I remembered reading a post from someone who had bought just the glass from Atwood, and recalled that it was relatively inexpensive. I shot back a request for a "glass only" quote, and Atwood did respond. The "glass only" quote was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the assembled price, and allowed me to move forward with the replacement of these windows.

BOTTOM LINE : I got the three (3) thermopane windows delivered to my door within three (3) business days for a total cost of $127.

My original intent was to take the new glass and the coach to my local auto glass guy and have him install the widows. However, after mentioning that he would be all too happy to take my money, he convinced me that I could do it myself, and gave me a few pointers. Since I had experience removing and resealing windows in a previous coach, I wasn't intimidated by that process. To say the least, it is time consuming, and quite frankly a PITA, but well worth the cost savings.

I have taken some photo's along the way, and would be happy to share the details of the replacement process. All in all, I replaced all three (3) windows for about $140, plus my time.

I would simply offer my opinion that there is a cost effective solution to this all too common problem. On the difficulty scale, the job turned out to be a "4 or 5" on a 1 to 10 scale, and it didn't require any special tools.

I remain disappointed that neither Atwood nor Winnebago has assumed a position of leadership on this issue, as it is clearly something they should be gravely concenrned about. With that having been said, I did get GREAT customer service from the Atwood - West Union facility.
royce999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Royce, just sent you a PM
Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Hello to All,
I am a new member who found iRV2 when googling the problem with thermopane window failure - I have a 2002 Winnebago WRG32G Adventurer.
I read Mike's solution and found the part number on the Winneb ago web site as well as the Atwood part number. I called Sue Phillips at Atwood who quoted me $75 plus shipping for the passenger side fixed window. She also told me how to remove the window, which along with Mike's description, will help me resolve the problem. Winnebago rep told me that the window frame would have to be sawed to get the pane out - and welded back after the pane was in place. Ms Phillips told me that this was not the case - that the window frame has a pannel which is screwed together and is relatively easy to take apart and put back together.
In any case I am about to give it a go.
Thanks for the great info.
Dave Williams
dhwgulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Good information, all. I purchased my 2006 allegro bay , gently used in april. The gasket inside the passenger side window was loose and it was cloudy. The service man at the small dealer where i purchased it said to call tiffin, they may replace it. When i got home, called tiffin, was told if it was less than 2 years, theywould pay for the window and the labor, less than three, window and shipping to my local dealer. It turned out that is was less than three, got a new window for just the shipping, $100 for installation.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Just replaced mine on the winnebago. The window over the driver door. Got the glass from atwood for $100 (looks like prices have gone up). Anyways, removed the split vinyl covering from the frame on the outside. gently popped/pulled out the old window. removed all old butyl rubber. Installed new window using urethane caulk, reinstalled the vinyl covering and all is fine. Did not have to remove any frames, but you do have to do all this work on a ladder... The how to info on this forum was invaluable...
Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #52
Winnie-Wise

I would sure appreciate a copy also. I just replaced a window for $1300.
[email protected] Thanks, Joe
Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Mike!! Downloaded and placed in my coach 'Maintenance Notes'.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Window Condensation repair

Joe - I just sent it to your email. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike
Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 AM   #55
Winnebago Master

Mike, thats the way to do it. Buy glass only and do it yourself if you can. If not the local auto glass dealer is not out of the question...be safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #56
Winnebago Watcher

Window defect

Hi Mike
We're in the same boat with the windows, only our RV guy is quoting 1200.00 for the passenger side window. Would you mind telling me the year and make of your RV?? Ours is a 2001 Adventurer and we're real happy with it, but the window thing threw us for a loop. Thanks for your help. John and Sallie Lee, [email protected]
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #57
Winnebago Master

there is another way to be able to see your mirrors through the right side passenger double paned window.
remove the inner pane.
i detailed how i recently did it on another post. the single outer pane is working just fine all by itself.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #58
Winnebago Master

Mike, your preaching to the choir. I too used the same method you did , but I let a glass shop do it cost was $75.00. A professional can tackle it better than I could. I sometimes thread a bolt the wrong way. An instance of my mechanical ability. Glad your wallet still has some dough...Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #59
Winnebago Watcher

I have a moisture problem with the small crank out window located in the escape window of the rear stateroom. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Same in Arizona. A foggy window is not covered by the insurance company or our extended warranty. A windshield being damaged by a rock is another story.
Happy travels, Joe