Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile Fixed the anoying Winny door rattle

Our 2001 36GD Journey is solid as a rock except for a very anoying little rattle coming from the door area. I tried every thing I could think of short of taking the door apart to find this little bugger. No luck, it just kept driving me nuts.

Yesterday I bit the bullet. That rattle was going to be history. Here's what I learned.

1. The plastic inside cover for the door is held on with "velco" and comes off easy with just a little care so as not to crack the old plastic.

2. Once the plastic cover was off I noticed the hold open device near the hinge side was dry of lubrcant and needed grease. I had noticed for some time it sounded sort of funny. I knew from the start this was not the cause of the rattle, but lubing this device was simply an added benifit to the "Rattle seach."

3. Next I removed the three scews that hold the lock set to the inside of the door. [special screw driver needed] I was now able to pull the inside handle and lock set out of the door. I could not however, seperate it from the door. A 1/4-20 nylock nut was holding the assembly to the latch trip lever.

4. I removed the little round sticker that covered the access hole to the offending nut. Alas, the hole was too small to get a socket in to remove the nut. No problem, I just reamed out the hole to 5/8" and removed the nut and freed the lock set.

5. Now I could see what was going on. I simply "Shock" the door, listened and looked for what was rattling.

6. The dead bolt slide bar was the main culpert. I greased the bar with a very heavy grease.As a "for sure cure" I also put a big gob of the same grease on a piece of soft foam plastc sponge and forced this down the hole in the cross door brace so that the greased sponge put preasure on top of the dead bolt bar. That puppy will not rattle again.

7. Continuing to shack the door, I found several other little rattley "Thingys" and gave them all the same basic treatment the dead bolt got.

8. Still shacking the door, I found the last and least rattle was coming from the outside latch handle. I cut a piece of the afore mentioned foam so that it fit under the handle center with just a slight outward preasure. Used a bit of liquid nails to glue the plastic under the handle and that rattle was gone.

9. Putting the whole thing back togeather was a little challange, but well worth the effort as a test drive revealed NO rattle.

A small side story. I did this work, a little at a time, over a period of two days. I had to close the door at night and with the lock set removed from the inside of the door the outside handle does not work. The latch however, works just fine. I thought maybe I can just close the door to the point of "Almost" latching. To be on the safe side I decided it would be smart to unlock the window next to the drivers seat. You guessed it, when I gently closed the door, the latch went CLICK. Next morning I'm on a ladder climbing in the window. Good thing I'm little on the thin side. My neigbors already know i'm crazy so it's OK.

Life is fun
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm glad you are having so much fun.

With my hearing, those little rattles don't amount to anything. It needs to go boom boom boom for me to hear it. However, DW's hearing is so acute she can hear an ant walking up our driveway. She kept after me to fix the rattle in the door. It took a few road trips to identify it, but I fixed it.

The little plastic hold down lever would slap against the door making a rattling sound. I put a piece of Velcro on the doors flat surface, and wrapped the other piece of Velcro around the plastic bar. It's been there for over a year and no more door rattle.

So if you still hear a rattle, check it out.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Sarge,
My ears are all shot out too, so I understand. I could still hear my "Now gone" rattles so that gives you an idea of how bad they were.

What I don't undersatnd is the "little plactic hold down lever" you refer to. All we have is a pull out handle and two key holes on the outside. On the inside we have a lift up handle, a push down 1/4" lock bar and a red plastic wing lever for the dead bolt.

Any of these sound like your "Plastic hold down lever?" Is it on the door? All I can think of is maybe the awning brace thingy that holds the bars together in the travel position.

Never met a Marine I did not admire.

Pine Tree
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm referring to the little 6 inch or so little thingy ma jig that holds the door open when you just want the screen closed. I know a lot of newer coaches have pneumatic rods that keep 'em open, but mine and others have that little "keeper" that you have to hook into a catch to keep the door from slamming shut in a breeze.

Does that make sense? If not, I'll find a picture.

Edited: Here's what I have (pick one, mine is plactic.) Door Fasteners
Mine is the "T" type. The rod is on the door, and the "T" catch is on the body of the coach.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I fixed my door rattle by one putting a piece of foam under the handle on the outside and wrapping some electrical tape around the round stud that the latch connects with and hooks to hold the door closed.

I have to replace the tape every couple of days when using the coach a lot.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the detailed repair notes.
My door has a terrible rattle that I have not been able to locate. Your info will inspire me to finally fix it.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sarge,
Thanks, we do not have the plastic device you refer to on our rig. Thank anyway.
Stogie,
Yes, I too use the tape on the door bolt routine. The other rattles over powered.
Jim,
Good luck, a little tricky but, it can be done. Just remember to unlock a window before you start this project.
Pine Tree
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
......... Just remember to unlock a window before you start this project.
Pine Tree
Is that a voice of experience or just a vast knowledge base?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hey Sarge,

I'm just trying to be helpful here. Please read my original thread for an answer to your question. I will never make claim to a vast base of knowledge. Just stumbling along, one foot in front of the other. "Even a blind mouse like me, finds cheeze once in awhile."

Pine Tree
Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ah! Experience wins again.

Next time I'll read the bottom line.

Thanks.

Reminds me of me leaving the confines of the coach and accidentally hitting the lock button. Fortunately DW was still inside. Befuddled latches won't cut it though. I'm sure at some point I'll be able to use your good advice.