Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

First DEF Eura coach in the works

We were on vacation earlier this month and did the Winnebago factory tour on the 10th. I was hoping to pick out one for us, but there are to many to chose from.
One interesting thing we heard was on that day they supposedly were rolling in the first DEF chassis to build a coach on. Nobody had any info on it other than that, and it was not in any of the brochures that we could find. I guess it is deemed to be a non-issue.
Another interesting note was that they were no longer using the TrueAir basement units and going to roof mount low profile units.
hitension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I did a search on the web to find out what a DEF coach was, but the only result was your posting here. What is a DEF??

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I believe Hitension is talking about the new engine/chassis combo's(still Freightliner/Spartan & Cat/Cummins) that use the newly required DEF(Diesel Exhaust Fluid), also called urea, that are mandated on new engines.

Part of the reason Winne did away with basement ac is the need for more engine area with the new tank for DEF.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I think you will only find the DEF tank and system (urea) on Cummins engines manufactured after 1 Jan 2010. Cat quit over the road engines and Navistar engines, coming on new Monaco products( many of them anyway) have some different technology. DEF adds $10,000 to $15,000 to each engine as I understand.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I was at GNR in July and Freightliner was there with a number of chassis displays. I spoke with their techs about the new 2010 DEF chassis and what all was involved. They asked what I currently have and I told them a 2008 Tour with ISL 400 which has the Diesel Particulate Filter on it. They told me the 2010 emission version of my chassis would have two DPFs stacked on top of each other and the urea tank. No wonder it adds about 15 grand to the cost of the coach. On the roof air issue I was told the primary reason Winnie switched is the new refrigerant being required by EPA would make the basement air system much larger and combined with the 2 DPFs and urea tank they would lose too much storage. If you notice the new roof air units the ceilings have been lowered from 7' 2" to 7' to keep the overall height of the coach around 12' 4".
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl View Post
On the roof air issue I was told the primary reason Winnie switched is the new refrigerant being required by EPA would make the basement air system much larger and combined with the 2 DPFs and urea tank they would lose too much storage. If you notice the new roof air units the ceilings have been lowered from 7' 2" to 7' to keep the overall height of the coach around 12' 4".
I am currently replacing my basement unit with a new R-410A freon unit. It is a direct drop in replacement. I know because I am waiting on my 3rd new unit to be installed, the first 2 were not working correctly.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

McDuff-
What went wrong with your first basement unit that it needed to be replaced? I have a 2004 Meridian with the basement air and keep worrying what will happen "inside cool wise" if something happens on a trip during hot weather. At least with two roof airs, which I've had in the past with no problems with either one, if something happens to one you still have a little cooling available.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl View Post
I was at GNR in July and Freightliner was there with a number of chassis displays. I spoke with their techs about the new 2010 DEF chassis and what all was involved. They asked what I currently have and I told them a 2008 Tour with ISL 400 which has the Diesel Particulate Filter on it. They told me the 2010 emission version of my chassis would have two DPFs stacked on top of each other and the urea tank. No wonder it adds about 15 grand to the cost of the coach. On the roof air issue I was told the primary reason Winnie switched is the new refrigerant being required by EPA would make the basement air system much larger and combined with the 2 DPFs and urea tank they would lose too much storage. If you notice the new roof air units the ceilings have been lowered from 7' 2" to 7' to keep the overall height of the coach around 12' 4".
Ditto - we just returned from Forest City and these are the reasons for the basement air units going away. Just not enough room for all the 'new' goodies being mandated by the government.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
I am currently replacing my basement unit with a new R-410A freon unit. It is a direct drop in replacement. I know because I am waiting on my 3rd new unit to be installed, the first 2 were not working correctly.
McDuff, I'm also interested in what was wrong with the two R-410 units that had to be returned. I'm waiting for my new R-410A Basement A/C unit to arrive at Tom Johnson (Marion, NC) to install the end of this week. I'm told it is the last one available until RVP production ramps up at year's end. What is the warranty on the new R-410 unit?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Space is not the only reason for the switch. RVP is the only supplier of the basement A/C units and Winnebago does not like to have only one supplier for anything. In addition, the roof air provides more cooling capacity for the bigger coaches. I think I remeber one or two people commenting on inadequate cooling!
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster - our troubles with our ac started a year ago when we took a monster power surge from a lightning strike. Had lots of replaced, including the control board for ac. On a month long trip this June, we started tripping breaker on #2 circuit, which is weird 'cause what they found was control board burnt again and #1 compressor locked up. I had it with this unit, so opted to go for new one.

Thudman - The first did nothing but blow warm air, had a 4 degree differential. The 2nd one had a 22 degree differential but compressor #1 drew too many amps. The 3rd arrived this past thursday, I got mad when they did nothing friday or saturday, told them it better be done today(monday) as we have plans to leave on wednesday to go to a nieces wedding.

I have been keeping a running log going on in my "repair saga" thread here.