Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Finding and Identification of air horn solenoid??

Our air horn stopped working and this forum has advised me to "Clean out" the solinoid. Is the air horn solinoid for a 2001 Winnebago Journey located behind the generator access door and on the right facing the generator front? That is on the drivers side. Is the solinoid blue in color and does it have wires on the top and bottom and tubes [air lines?] on the side?

Pine tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can't remember the color ... but if it has airlines and electrical wires I think you have the right animal .. mine is very near the connection for my air hose ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Air Horn Splenoid

The one on my 2002 Journey is blue and black and is mounted on the fire wall in front of the driver. You should see a small air tank below the generator access door. Follow the air hose from the tank to the solenoid.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

One hose will go to the air horns and the other to an air tank if it's a Hadley. Took mine apart several times and cleaned the plunger. Finally wound up buying a new solenoid that kinda cleared up the problem. About $100 or less.
I seldom ever blew the air horn so now when I'm out in the middle of nowhere I blow the air horn to exercise the solenoid.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

I think there are two solenoids on the "firewall". Mine are on the drivers side. One is for the air horns and the other is for the air operated inside stair sliding cover. The blue rectangular box looking thing is a manifold and the solenoids connect to the manifold via black 1/4" plastic air lines. On the top of the solenoid is a knurled knob that un-screws (lefty-loosey). When the knob is removed simply lift the coil off the plunger. I use bronze wool to clean the plunger. If you have both solenoids it isn't going to hurt to clean both of them. When you screw the knob back on I suggest a dab of silicone on the top of the knob to keep it from vibrating loose.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you clean solinoids or are even installing a new one. put a little oil in the line coming from the tank. it will make the solinoid last longer.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The solinoid I diecribed above is the step cover controller. Two solinoids, one on top one onthe bottom. Obvious.

I found the air horn solinoid to be on the passenger side behind the generator access door. It is mounted [Screwed into] a rather large air tand with a gauge on it.

I my case a wire had fallen away from the solinoid and the fix was just to put the wire back on the solinoid.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote