Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Have never used ours 35U Adventurer
Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

In my case, the strap offers z e r o protection of any kind. The floor anchor may be secure, but the slide anchor is attached to trim that I could easily remove with well under 10lb of pull. The hydralics have hundreds+

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Never used the straps in our last MO and was also told by the salesman that we would "just rip them out by mistake anyway". Our new (to us) rig doesn't seem to have any. The anchor is in the floor so I assume the first owner discarded them.

Same setup though. Small screws into the floor and a trim piece that anemic weakling could rip out.

With the technology put into these machines you would think some kind of slide bolt with either a warning light on the switch or a cut off similar to the ones that prevent extending the slide without the parking brake on could be used instead of the flimsy strap system.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

The strap probably has some value in some situations. However, it's a poor design because it lacks provisions for the accidental opening of the slide when still attached. As a result, many people (including myself) have destroyed trim-work because of this shortcoming. It's like the safety blade guards the manufacturers install on table saws. The intention is sound but everyone takes them off because they're poorly designed. If a manufacturer really wanted the public to use the straps, they should improve the design. If not, the straps will continue to symbolize an ineffective safety strategy as well as a potential source of liability over the long-run.

Jack
Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I took my rig in for a repair and found the straps ripped out of the floor by the techs. I'd rather have them tear that way than break off the moulding. Now, when I bring it in, I remove the straps. I agree they probably don't do much but I'm sure at one time they were a necessity.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I'm pretty sure they are there to keep the jackel attorneys out of the manufacturers back pockets.

You know what they call six attorneys chained together at the bottom of the ocean ?................................................. ..................A GOOD START!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I have been considering the 2x4 lumber on top alternative. If mine ever had straps, they were ripped out or removed before I took posession.

Most mine ever moved was about an inch, but that got me to worrying. Anyone else use the lumber-on-top-of-the-retracted-slide technique? Any pics?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I hate to be a naysayer but I have driven 62,000 miles through the mountains and around curves and have never had a slide so much as budge. If it did start to extend it would be so slow that you would have plenty of time to slow down and pull over. Sometimes being over cautious can lead to larger problems in the end. I'll bet a nice solid 2x4 could do some real damage if inadvertantly left in place.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I also removed my floor bracket on my Journey when we took out the carpet and put down tile. I have had the big heavy drivers side slide bounce in and out a couple inches a couple of times. (First time was when we drove thru an area that had tornado warnings) This seems to happen when I have a big cross wind hitting me on the passenger side of the coach. As I fight to keep on the road, it appears that what happens is the wind hits the coach and as it goes around to the drivers side, it creates a vacuum and pulls the slide out slightly. Then the vacuum breaks and the slide pops back in - same principal that gives an airplane lift from the wings. When I first experienced this, I thought I had a tire that was blown but I could see the slide banging in and out in my rear view mirror. All I did was pull off to the side and run the slide out about 12" or so and then run it back in to make sure it was sealed good then dropped my speed from about 65 to 55 and that took care of the problem. When it happened again all I did was drop my speed and it stopped banging in and out.

After reading these posts, I am probably going to get a slide lock anyhow for this slide in case I drive thru some really bad cross wind areas.

Here is what I will probably get:
Slide Lock- 24" to 44" - Item - Camping World
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

slide issue made me a believer

I didn't have a strap on on the back slide and while coming accross 80 I notice the slide come out about a foot. raised my BP about 40 notches. thought maybe I hadn't seated the slide when I closed up, but notice it creeping again while traveling so that night I made a 2x2 that I put at floor level to correct the problem. I use the straps on the front and haven't had an issue, however I might make a couple of boards for peace of mind. Len p.s. yes, we already had an issue when the wife forgot to remove the board.. had to add a red ribbon to the board !
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER View Post
I didn't have a strap on on the back slide and while coming accross 80 I notice the slide come out about a foot. raised my BP about 40 notches. thought maybe I hadn't seated the slide when I closed up, but notice it creeping again while traveling so that night I made a 2x2 that I put at floor level to correct the problem. I use the straps on the front and haven't had an issue, however I might make a couple of boards for peace of mind. Len p.s. yes, we already had an issue when the wife forgot to remove the board.. had to add a red ribbon to the board !
''2x2 at floor level''???
i made a strap tiedown to use at floor level and use a 2x2 (with red ribbon attached) in the ceiling for my rear slide. i can also use this tiedown fitting to retract the slide manually when necessary.
my rear slide likes to self extend about 9''. hwh says that it is the solenoids. replacing them 3 times didn't help.
i use both original tiedowns for the front slide and also 2 2x2's in the ceiling with red ribbons attached.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Never used mine. I don't even know where it is. Never had a problem.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2004 Itasca and I pullled the strap out while opening the slide as many of us have done. Have never replaced it. Doubt it would hold that heavy slide anyways. The bedroom slides don't come with a strap. Go figure!!!

2004 Itasca Meridian 34H
ladycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Faithfully used the stay bars for my Jayco Class C slide. Always worried about forgetting to remove the critters and breaking something major cuz the locks were quite beefy. Was also concerned about the slideout deploying while underway, so was a bit anal about using them. Bought the Winnebago Sightseer and haven't bothered using locks/stays on either slideout. The only lock I got with the rig was for the bedroom slide anyway so I just bagged the whole deal. I just KNOW I'd forget the wimpy little lock and end up breaking something besides the lock. Think I'd rather have the slight risk of having the slide deploy rather than bustin something up.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Slide safety straps.

2 coaches, never used it in either, and never needed it.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I'm certainly not a lawyer but consider this scenario:

You make a right turn and the slide extends into the lane of on coming traffic and injures a driver. If the strap is connected to the slide and breaks your insurance company pays. If the strap is not connected the insurance still pays but you could be sued for negligence.

In my experience you are always better off using the safety equipment provided, no matter how inadequate you think it may be.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #37

We were on an Alaskan caravan When our HWH motor went south, Well no jacks and no slide, I called HWH they told me to back the T valves out then you can slide the slide In or out,, HELLO:::: we had 4 pushing 2 pulling . buddy we had the valves turned all the way out.. 1/4 out 1/2 way out it was a hard job. I find it hard to believe that the slide will jump out.. Altho I have allways had a friend of a friend that had a friend that had theirs go out. So I guess it happens..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Why not put a cover or a velcro strap across the slide switch to make you aware the straps are connected. I put a velcro strap from the antenna crank on the steering wheel to remind me the antenna is up. My LR slide has a turnbuckle bar that will not give if I try to put the slide out, and I have a key switch that will lock out the slide from moving.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote