Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Angry Fiberglass sidewall cracking

For the last week or two we've been hearing what sounds like small "bumps" on the side of the MH. Today I've discovered what it is. The fiberglass wall is cracking down and to the rear from the rear lower corner of the bedroom slide. The crack is about a foot long, and wide enough at the upper part to slip a piece of paper into. We have been at two different locations in the past two weeks. It is possible that our last location caused a frame twist as 3 of the jacks sunk into the ground (even with pads under them) over the first night. This is just a guess about the cause.
1. Anyone have an idea what might be going on?
2. Any suspicions about the extent of the hidden damage and associated repairs?
3. Is this so serious that I should not travel until it's repaired?
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't have any answers for you but would like to follow the thread since we have the same basic coach.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

JoeCaster, We have experienced a similar problem on our 39W, 04 Meridian with 58K miles. We were traveling form The Grand Canyon to Monument Valley on Rt 160 in Arizona this past May. We drove through a sudden dip in the road where water flows over. It was a short sudden jolt which cause my DW and I to look at each other and say "that should have been marked". When we arrived in Monument Valley I noticed the crack form the front corner of the bedroom slide. It traveled form the corner to the belt line. It was spread apart about 3/32 on an inch. See picture below.

We had the repair done at Duncan RV repair in Elkhart Ind. and are satisfied. They have developed a repair method that dose not allow the crack to return. This is there web site:
Home

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07359.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	70880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09869.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	70881  

RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

RV735,
Thanks for the information. Interesting that we've just come through the same general area - Grand Canyon, Zion, then Arches, Canyonland, Natural Bridges then to Cortez, then east on 160. We were in South Fork CO when we sank into the pad.
I'll check out Duncan RV. It's quite a ways from our east-most point (Wichita), but maybe they can give me some ideas.
Question? Did they say that something "broke" that caused the crack? Like a brace or attachment point?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Broken wall stud.pdfYou are not the first to have this problem!
I have a similar crack, so does Craig Matthews aka “Margaritaman.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/itas...ml#post1653071 see post #11
He has a lot of info and photos of his repair. I have not had mine repaired yet, I will be back in TX this winter.

More info in the. pdf

04 Itasca QD crack
Attached Images

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

In that year range 2002 -2004 the coaches with bedroom slides that do not continue down to the trim molding or that stop a foot or so from the molding like the 39 foot models have problems with the crack from the corner on the front or rear bottom. I have never seen the 36 ft coaches with the problem the 36 slide terminates at the moulding. I Had a 2002 39qd that started 6 months after I purchased new. Winnebago repaired it 3 times and finally fixed it correctly and agreed to continually fix it as long as I owned it. Bottom line is they know there was a problem. Some never have the problem. I have also seen other manufactures with the same problem
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
In that year range 2002 -2004 the coaches with bedroom slides that do not continue down to the trim molding or that stop a foot or so from the molding like the 39 foot models have problems with the crack from the corner on the front or rear bottom. I have never seen the 36 ft coaches with the problem the 36 slide terminates at the moulding. I Had a 2002 39qd that started 6 months after I purchased new. Winnebago repaired it 3 times and finally fixed it correctly and agreed to continually fix it as long as I owned it. Bottom line is they know there was a problem. Some never have the problem. I have also seen other manufactures with the same problem
GG!
Do you know how they solved the problem? Do you have any documentation on the repair, or that Winnebago was aware of the problem.
When I found mine I called them seeking answers and was told they had never heard of it. I just want to know how to fix it for good.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

JoeCastor, Answering your question: Only the fiberglass outer surface was damaged no brace or structural supports . Duncan was surprised that there was not more support at the corner. I my opinion, the corner, as designed and constructed is weak. Over time as it is stressed a crack propagates. It is not a structural problem. However it will allow water to enter and degrade the interior materials. The important issue is to repair to prevent the water intrusion.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
GG!
Do you know how they solved the problem? Do you have any documentation on the repair, or that Winnebago was aware of the problem.
When I found mine I called them seeking answers and was told they had never heard of it. I just want to know how to fix it for good.
Unfortunately, that LIE is often told in the RV industry...and not just by WBGO.

They mass produce these things, and then expect us to believe we're the ONLY ONE who has ever had a particular problem. Internet forums allow owners to share info and pictures which PROVE their claim is untrue. IMO, the root of the problem is the industry's reluctance to admit mistakes and take responsibility for fixing them. Simply put, it is all about the $$$.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

2004 Vectra here and we have the same problem. Thanks for the links.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

FWIW, Tiffin Motor Homes has similar issues at the bedroom slide. Same exact area. There fix is not the way Duncan repaired the above. Their are several post I've followed with this issue.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

rgvtexan

Putting it bluntly the rep is full of crap or he is a new guy. Ask to speak to someone else. I doubt if they will do anything for you now anyway. You may want to talk to the company that does the aftermarket paintwork I think its called CDI. On mine the shop simply repaired it a few times and it never came back. If you do research you will find the topic on other rv forums. Print out the comments and send them to the guy who never heard of the problem.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
rgvtexan

Putting it bluntly the rep is full of crap or he is a new guy. Ask to speak to someone else. I doubt if they will do anything for you now anyway. You may want to talk to the company that does the aftermarket paintwork I think its called CDI. On mine the shop simply repaired it a few times and it never came back. If you do research you will find the topic on other rv forums. Print out the comments and send them to the guy who never heard of the problem.
That is what I want to avoid. The repaints could get expensive quick. I just want to do it once.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have a situation that I am told is spider cracking - it is on a 2005 Wiinebago Adventurer. My calls to Winnebago over the years have been completely fruitless (like such things do not happen to Winnebago products). It is on both sides, from front to back. I am told that the only way to fix it is to remove the paint, and the jellcoat and then have it redone. That is not cheap. The alternative is to live with it. It started with just a few small cracks.
Donangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

As an update, and after getting over the panic that my motorhome was breaking in half, I drilled a 1/16th in. hole in the sidewall at the bottom of the crack, which is about 12" or 13" long, going down and back from the slide corner, and about 8" of so from the belt line. Next, I put painter's tape along the crack (not easy as the break is quite craggy), then using Lok-tite Extreme cement as a caulk, I filled the drilled hole and the entire crack line, including the the slide corner where the crack started.
I have traveled about 600 miles since doing this and there is no change, so I'm hoping I've arrested the problem, and hopefully mitigating the repair effort.
Any thoughts about my temporary repair effort?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It's, the repair mostly temporary. To achieve a complete repair you would have to grind the area down and re laminate with cloth and mat. This will create a secure mechanical bond. Using West Epoxy for the correct repair will add additional bonding. The proper repair is time consuming and has a fairly high degree tech knowledge to be successful. Generally the marine industry folks are the best bet or a knowledgable body shop.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have some, what I would call "spider" cracks, only on the street side of the coach and only in the dark paint areas. Since it was stored in AZ before I bought it, I was attributing it to the sun but now, maybe not. My 2002 Horizon doesn't have crack one but it's not full body paint either. I've always said to never buy first year of a big change but I did it anyway and now kinda wish I hadn't but still like her. They used black tape on the inside portion of the slide where it meets the rubber seal when extended. That was peeling off so removed and repainted.
Rich