Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Fiberglass roof appears to be delaminating. What to do?

2007 Journey 34SH. Up on the roof yesterday for routine cleaning and general inspection. Noticed three "bubbles" (for lack of better term) approximately midway side to side and fore n aft. I'm guessing fiberglas skin is delaminating from substrate. Each bubble is approximately 9 - 10 inches long by 2 inches wide. Their long axis parallels the long axis of the coach. None are in proximity to any of the vents, antenna, etc.

Any experience out there repairing this issue?
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Blisters are usually the result of water intrusion. There are several methods of repair, ranging from replacement to patching. This website pertains to boat hulls, however the tactic would work on a fiberglass RV roof too, you would just eliminate the painting step, or paint the entire roof as a precaution against further water intrusion.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Doesn't the roof have a 10 year warranty? I'd send detailed pictures to Winnebago and ask them about the issue first.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago will more than likely ask you if the roof sealing has been inspected every 6 months. They will be able to see if there has been water intrusion.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had cracks in the radius along the length of both sides. I had the coach in for repairs of some damage I did to the rear cap. Their estimator was on the roof and said that is should be cover by Crane Composites Inc who makes the fiberglass skin. CCI denied the claim 3 times and then I filed in CA small claims for $5400. When they got the court notice to appear I got a call and they asked me to get another quote from a Winnie dealer and that came in at $8400. I promptly received a check for $5400.

My recommendation is to get a quote from a RV body shop. They would be experts on fiberglass repair and could determine the cause and if a whole new fiberglass skin is required.

Your coach is 2007 so depending on when it was sold the 10 yrs may have expired. You may also be able to make a comprehensive claim on your auto insurance.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 05-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Fiberglas roof delaminating

Appreciate all the responses. Sometimes it helps to bump foreheads with others just to get the problem solving juices flowing. After a closer inspection of my "bubbles", and following threads and websites you all suggested, plus others I stumbled into, this will be my solution. (In case others refer to this thread with similar issues)

The roof panels are thin fiberglass sheets bonded to a plywood substrate. I intend to slice through the fiberglass just to the substrate around the perimeter of the bubbles. ( Turns out a box knife slices through the 'glas like butter.) If the substrate is compromised, I will treat it with a penetrating epoxy I have used successfully on rot in home window frames. Following that, or if the substrate is sound ( I believe it is), I will simply patch the area with woven roving saturated with fiberglas resin, overlapping the sound fiberglas roof by several inches and sand the patch fair.

I watched a Diclor youtube video demonstrating application of their product designed for coating fiberglas roofs. That will be next.

Good to be retired and have time for all this. Got to get after it while I'm still agile enough!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm not saying you don't have an issue, but you don't have a delamination problem. The fiberglass is not laminated to the lauan substrate. It's only held on at the edges, that's why that edge seal is so critical. I wouldn't go cutting holes if it were my roof.

(Some - including folks in Forest City - have said that it is laminated. Clearly the pictures off roofs that have blown off show that there is no lamination.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have the same issue on my roof. I was told by an RV Tech who inspected it that if it was not leaking to leave it alone. I monitor and keep seals in good shape. No issues yet. As a previous poster stated, the roof is not laminated.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here's one for you. As I was sitting here reading this thread there was a knock at the door of my coach. "There is a roof coming off a ladies coach over there". We are parked at the Elks campground at Navajo Dam, N.M. Sure enough, one whole side of the fiberglass is lifted on a 2002 Sightseer. I took pics with my cell phone and soon as I can figure how to download them to the laptop I will post. BUT_____________THERE IS NO GLUE UNDER THE FIBERGLASS. I can stick my hand under with no problem. We have secured the glass with a 2X4 and rope til her insurance adjuster can have a look.

Hopefully pics to follow.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully this pic comes thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	162026  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

This shows the edge that is out the full length of the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full roof.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	162027  
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

OK. You may recall the old bromide "Why do we make a plan? So we can change it."

Thoughtful, constructive input from all of you. This concept of a 30ft by 9ft by 1\16 inch thick sheet of plastic secured only at the edges while driving down the road at 60plus mph is disconcerting.

jerboy's pics are persuasive.

New Plan. Going to take Phinnej's route and leave alone for now. (While keeping a close eye on the edge and other seals). And, it is time to hit the road for a few months anyway.

Thanks all!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

That pic should be a reminder how important it is to inspect that roof to drip rail joint and address any failed caulk. On my previous coach, 2002 Journey, I used a strip of 2" eternabond tape to permanently seal and secure it.

That seam is a design shortcoming in an otherwise decent coach brand, IMO.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

You might be seeing thermal expansion of the fiberglass, thus the rippling or bubbles might vary with weather conditions. So, you might notice raised spots on hot sunny days that settle down substantially on cool, cloudy days, and are totally flat in freezing cold conditions.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyG View Post
You might be seeing thermal expansion of the fiberglass, thus the rippling or bubbles might vary with weather conditions. So, you might notice raised spots on hot sunny days that settle down substantially on cool, cloudy days, and are totally flat in freezing cold conditions.
Maybe this is the reason for not laminating, so it CAN move.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I would check out Composet Products
RVLover357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
2007 Journey 34SH. Up on the roof yesterday for routine cleaning and general inspection. Noticed three "bubbles" (for lack of better term) approximately midway side to side and fore n aft. I'm guessing fiberglas skin is delaminating from substrate. Each bubble is approximately 9 - 10 inches long by 2 inches wide. Their long axis parallels the long axis of the coach. None are in proximity to any of the vents, antenna, etc.

Any experience out there repairing this issue?
I had the same question on my 2004 Suncruiser. I emailed Winnebago and here is their reply:

The roof material will expand and contract with the changes in outside temperature. This is normal and won’t hurt the roof material.

Thanks,

Bill

WinnebagoIND_black

William Crawford | Service Advisor | 800-537-1885
605 W Crystal Lake Rd | Forest City, IA 50436

Thank you for being a customer!
Old 05-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte View Post
I had the same question on my 2004 Suncruiser. I emailed Winnebago and here is their reply:

The roof material will expand and contract with the changes in outside temperature. This is normal and won’t hurt the roof material.

Thanks,

Bill

WinnebagoIND_black

William Crawford | Service Advisor | 800-537-1885
605 W Crystal Lake Rd | Forest City, IA 50436

Thank you for being a customer!
so what does that mean? If the cap is bonded to the wood roof it won't/ can't "expand and contract" as they suggest. I have the same issue as the OP and would like to discuss this with Mr. Crawford further. Do you have an email that you can PM to me?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
so what does that mean? If the cap is bonded to the wood roof it won't/ can't "expand and contract" as they suggest. I have the same issue as the OP and would like to discuss this with Mr. Crawford further. Do you have an email that you can PM to me?

I understand it to mean that the roof is free floating, attached to the motorhome body at the cap ends, front and rear, and along the sides of the roof where we are advised that we must keep the sealant fresh. The sealant not only seals but glues/bonds the fiberglass roof covering to the sidewall of the rig.

I merely emailed Winnebago from this web page

https://winnebagoind.com/contact

and asked my questions. They will get right back to you.

Some folks complain about the way Winnebago builds the roof but one must remember that are thousands of Winnebago/Itascas on the road who don't have a problem because they follow the directions of the manufacturer and inspect at least annually and recaulk when necessary. I learned a lot by watching the Lichtsinn webcast that can be found here

Live Webcast Archive - Lichtsinn Motors - RV Dealer in Iowa - RV Sales, RV Service, RV Rentals, RV Financing, RV Parts, RV Accessories, and More

go down the list until you find "Live webcast from August 2016 - Roof Cove Maintenance for your RV" and watch the whole video.

Bob Eagan
Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2002 Sightseer like the one cited earlier. I placed eternabond tape around the entire perimeter of the roof, from the front and rear caps to the sides from the bottom of the gutters upward. I used 4 inch tape. Hopefully, this will keep the roof on. I also taped over all the sealant around roof protrosions to keep the sealant from failing. So far so good.

Tags
roof, fiberglass