Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Not all of us are experienced in what is required in maintaining an RV. Since I didn't buy mine from a dealer, I didn't get a lesson. My fiberglass roof was blown off recently while driving through some gusty wind. My insurance company denied the claim, saying it happended because I didn't maintain it. At the time this happened the wind gusts were up to 50-70 miles per hour. I didn't see anything loose on the RV, my husband was driving it, I was driving behind him. Suddenly I saw the whole roof lift about 10 feet in the air and hit the ground in pieces. We had to get up there and cut the rest off so we could get home without it flapping off. I am very dissapointed in my insurance company for denying this claim. Of course I am going to fight it. I am also very dissapointed in Winnegago's roof. I had this RV for less than 3 years and now I'm out a roof.
mich702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Not all of us are experienced in what is required in maintaining an RV. Since I didn't buy mine from a dealer, I didn't get a lesson. My fiberglass roof was blown off recently while driving through some gusty wind. My insurance company denied the claim, saying it happended because I didn't maintain it. At the time this happened the wind gusts were up to 50-70 miles per hour. I didn't see anything loose on the RV, my husband was driving it, I was driving behind him. Suddenly I saw the whole roof lift about 10 feet in the air and hit the ground in pieces. We had to get up there and cut the rest off so we could get home without it flapping off. I am very dissapointed in my insurance company for denying this claim. Of course I am going to fight it. I am also very dissapointed in Winnegago's roof. I had this RV for less than 3 years and now I'm out a roof.
mich702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What year is the Winnie in question??? Sounds like it has not had the required maintenance for several years.

I did buy mine from a dealer, but got no such "lesson" either. However, the Winnebago owner materials that came with my coach state the roof warranty is for 15 years. AND, in order to keep the warranty in effect, you must have the roof side sealant inspected/repaired either once or twice a year (I don't recall which off hand). I have mine inspected and sealant repaired as required about every 9 months. I don't know if inspection by a qualified RV tech before purchase would have revealed the lack of maintenance or not, but it is likely it would have.

You're right that most of us learn as we go along, particularly if you buy a used rig and get no owner materials or records with it.

All RV roofs require regular inspection/repair of one kind or another. I would much rather have the Winnebago fiberglass roof than a rubber coated roof!

Sorry for your unpleasant experience!!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mich702:
Not all of us are experienced in what is required in maintaining an RV. Since I didn't buy mine from a dealer, I didn't get a lesson. My fiberglass roof was blown off recently while driving through some gusty wind. My insurance company denied the claim, saying it happended because I didn't maintain it. At the time this happened the wind gusts were up to 50-70 miles per hour. I didn't see anything loose on the RV, my husband was driving it, I was driving behind him. Suddenly I saw the whole roof lift about 10 feet in the air and hit the ground in pieces. We had to get up there and cut the rest off so we could get home without it flapping off. I am very dissapointed in my insurance company for denying this claim. Of course I am going to fight it. I am also very dissapointed in Winnegago's roof. I had this RV for less than 3 years and now I'm out a roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really should not have been driving a high profile vehicle if the gusts were up to 70 MPH. Your husband could have been flipped over and not just lost the roof. If driving into a 70 MPH gust the velocity could have been well over 120 MPH. At those velocities awnings and such will generally go first and many times take the roof with them in very short order sometimes in a heartbeat.

Moving foward get it covered and preserved before the rig is damaged beyound repair while you work out how to get it fixed.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #5

Just a reminder people...the roof is NOT held to the sides with the bead of caulk...the overlapping loose sides are moved down over the sidewalls and screwed to the side by the awning/gutter rail. Also the front and rear edges are underneath the front and rear caps.

The OP's roof must have not been inspected for it to come loose like it did....Sounds like some underlying problem that was a previous problem.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

As was said earlier, one should not drive in that much wind. If this MH had an awning I would think that that came off first and took the side of the roof with it. I drove foolishly in my Class C trying to get the family home from Kansas to CO in a heavy cross wind. The MH was on 2 wheels at time (at least it felt that way). I swore I would never do that again (that was in the mid 80's) and haven't. Now that when we hit the road I expect not to be on a schedule and will use my brain more than my foot.
JMHO -- Frank O.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

AF Chap: I checked with Winnie on the roof warranty. It only covered the fiberglass itself not any accidental blow off. I then decided to go the Eternabond route and have not worried about the roof since. Inciderntally, I contacted Winne about the roof, because I thought I was seeing stress cracks in the fiberglass itself. Truns out it is not cracks but a normal pattern. Then I was assured the roof material is under warranty for 10 years.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you look in mich702's profile you'll see the coach is a 1991 Adventurer. That means it was 13 years old when they bought it, and it's at least 16 years old now. That's a long time for problems to develop
Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hikerdogs:
If you look in mich702's profile you'll see the coach is a 1991 Adventurer. That means it was 13 years old when they bought it, and it's at least 16 years old now. That's a long time for problems to develop </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 96 Warrior had an aluminum roof. Did Winnebago use fiberglass or metal on different models in earlier years I wonder?