Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Fan-Tastic vent cover

This is a topic of getting cut when you least expect it.

I was washing the roof yesterday. It needed another good hands and knees scrubbing to get the remaining black spots off I missed the last time I washed it. I was diligently scrubbing away around one of the vent covers when I felt a sharp edge cut into my thumb knuckle. Ouch. But I thought it was just a sensation. Well, don't you know? I was bleeding! That little sucker got me good. The it happened a second time, even though I was trying to be careful.

I went back on the roof today to try to see what got me. I had 320 grit wet paper with me. What I found surprised me. There was a very tinny, very sharp ridge all around the out edge of both covers. I used the paper dry and sanded the edges to a more soft radius. Much safer now.

For me this was not a problem. I bled a bit and the cut is a bit tight and sore today but I will survive. For someone with a medical issue this could be a problem.

I hope my bit of pain will prevent someone else from a more serious issue.

Happy camping is the only way to travel!

Rick Y
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I use an old RV wash brush with a broom handle so I may stand while washing the roof. I use DirtX or Spin N Span to wash the roof, and it comes out shiny and clean every time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

So I guess in addition to the black spots, you now had to scrub off the blood?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
So I guess in addition to the black spots, you now had to scrub off the blood?
"How do I remove blood from the roof"? Now that would be an interesting call to make with the folks at Winnebago Customer Service!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

A couple of the posts sound a bit bloody. Being that the soapy rag was still attached to the bloody thumb there was no problem cleaning up the mess. . If I had hit the sharp edge harder as I scrubbed I would have done a bit more damage to me. But, alas, the problem is solved.

About the black spots: We spent many rainy months in WA and OR. When you volunteer in strange territory, and the weather is exceptionally unusual, washing the coach is not a option. The lichen had started to grow on the roof. Took two scrubbings to get it off. The one the other day was with a copper pot scrubber and a rag. Dawn dish soap helped much. Nice bright white roof again before we head out the the High Desert country of CA on Friday. Another new adventure!

Rick Y
Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Jerichorick, if you experience that again-lichen on the roof, go to someplace like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc and buy the package of tabs you affix to the roof that kills present stuff like mold, mildew, lichen, etc It slowly releases a chemical (I think it's copper sulfate) that kills and prevents growth of such fungus. Copper Sulfate will kill a tree, shrub, etc. too. It is the active ingredient in root killer for drain lines.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Jerichorick, if you experience that again-lichen on the roof, go to someplace like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc and buy the package of tabs you affix to the roof that kills present stuff like mold, mildew, lichen, etc It slowly releases a chemical (I think it's copper sulfate) that kills and prevents growth of such fungus. Copper Sulfate will kill a tree, shrub, etc. too. It is the active ingredient in root killer for drain lines.
Thank Ray. I'll look for the tabs. Now I need a way to keep them in place. Being in the high CA desert now I don't think the black spots will be a problem. Sand, on the other hand, WILL grow on everything! Got a pill for that?

Tags
fan, vent