Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Fan-Tastic Fan upgrade ....NOT

I was so excited when my 7350 upgrade kit arrived today. The ad stated that it was compatible with ALL models!

The vent fan is getting to be a challenge to reach when the controls need adjusting. Age and back are restricting my arm length and getting the step stool can be as much of a challenge some days. With this wining out of the way I can now get to the story.

Upon reading of the instructions I thought "this should go well!" Not to be. I pulled the old fan base out as instructed (and that was a bit of a challenge not to break terminals) and prepared to install the new base. It was at that moment that I noticed that the physical shape of the base was different than the original. My base has formed recesses to accommodate the Winnebago ceiling tower. I am bummed out.

I hope someone in the Itasca/Winnebago world can help me find the correct upgrade kit. A reasonable price would be a big bonus.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That same thing happened when I went to upgrade my on the old Journey. I call Fantastic Fans and they told me that they make specific models for Winnebago with a different layout. They sent me the one I needed directly. It fit.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
That same thing happened when I went to upgrade my on the old Journey. I call Fantastic Fans and they told me that they make specific models for Winnebago with a different layout. They sent me the one I needed directly. It fit.
I'm in AZ at the moment and I gave Atwood a call when I got up. The lady I spoke with asked me to email her some pictures. I think she is going to help. Did you have a new upgrade kit that they exchanged or did you move the components to a base they sent you?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had mine changed in a shop. They had to move the components to the new base/frame. I bought the original replacements on sale at Camping World for $160 each. Getting the correct "Winnebago" units from Fantastic Vent would have costs $400 each. Moving the components was an easy decision.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
I had mine changed in a shop. They had to move the components to the new base/frame. I bought the original replacements on sale at Camping World for $160 each. Getting the correct "Winnebago" units from Fantastic Vent would have costs $400 each. Moving the components was an easy decision.
I may try the parts move. I think you mean from the "new" to the old. It will take a bit of precision drilling but it might work. I certainly don't want to screw up two units! For anyone interested, the correct part # is XK7350WH. I was not given the cost yet. I'll followup when I known. I did a search online and came up empty.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure where the shop, Northwest Coach in Olympia, Washington, got the correct new plastic parts, basically plastic bottom plates/frames, to hold the components they removed from the "upgrade kits." (I had two fans upgraded to multi-speed, reversable, remote controled.) I know when they asked me what I wanted to do, they said they could get the these parts from their supplier for $11 each and it would be about an hour labor to take the components off the upgrade kits and mount them on the correct new plastic plates. I can give them a call Monday and ask who their supplier is if you are interested.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You folks inspired me. I bit the bullet today and did the parts move to the old base from the new, won't fit, one. Success!

The process was tedious and not for those who don't have some skills in component wiring and plastic cutting. The directions supplied with the 7350 kit are "typical", which means "If you don't have, it figure it out." I didn't have a reverse switch and that made wiring the correct leads together a bit of a guess. I had to drill and trim openings for the control sensors, remove a knockout in the fan mounting for the rain sensor and trim the circuit board mounting area to accommodate the new board. I used my wife's hot glue gun to secure the sensors and wires. That all went well. While I was at it I pulled the dome switch and cleaned it. In wiring I abandoned the wall control switch, the three speed fan control and the fan on and off switch mounted on the base. My wife found a spot in the coach monitor control cabinet for the remote control to be mounted.

When I put the fuse back in the base the fan came on after a few seconds. I tested the remote and was very pleased as to how it controls the fan. I even reversed the fan while it was running at full speed. The fan simply slowed down and changed directions without any strain that I could detect.

In talking with Fan-Tastic I found out that Winnebago/Itasca uses what Fan-Tastic calls a "CLAMP FAN" installation. That is why our base corners are different than the majority of the fans out there. I tried to find this on the internet and couldn't. Not even in their catalog is this type shown.

The bottom line it that it IS possible to install the 7350 kit in a Winne product.

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Rick Y
Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Glad it worked out.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Update:

My 7350 failed. The company sent me a new kit. When I replaced the circuit boards I noticed the connector for the IR sensor was corroded on the main board connection. When I took a better look at the main board I found more corrosion.

We had been in many months of high humidly and cool temperatures. The fan components became saturated, thus the board corroded. I am looking for a good product to spray the new board with to prevent this from happening again.

The good side of the upgrade is that the fan now has both manual and automatic controls from the remote. The down side is that the dome remains open when the temperature drops low and the fan was in automatic. Though the fan stops running the cold air will drop in, heat rise out. The rain sensor works well.

Tags
fan, upgrade