Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Falling ceiling

I have a 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T that has some ceiling issues in the bedroom. The ceiling material is coming down. I've tried re-gluing it twice and it won't last a day. I've contacted WB customer service and they recommended the glue I used but had no success. They told me then the material that the ceiling fabric is being glued to is failing and would have to be stripped off and replaced. Very expensive and none of the repair shops around me will do the job. Here's my question? Obviously the material that the fabric is glued to won't hold the fabric without coming apart. I'm thinking of putting a section of luan plywood on the ceiling and then gluing the fabric to the luan. The luan material is 1/8" and I don't believe it would be noticeable between the joint cover strips. In other words I would screw the luan to the ceiling over the black insulating material and glue the fabric to the luan. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The ceiling liner has a thin layer of foam between it and the Luan board it is glue to. Over time, the foam material deteriorates and the lines will let go. I had this problem on a 1975 sailboat years ago. It is a messy job as the deteriorated foam is very sticky, hard to get off and not an easy job to get the new material up.

It's hard to believe that method of liner installation is still used even though the long term problems with it have existed for at least 25 years.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

They did away with the foam backed vinyl around the year 2,000 and replaced it with a non-woven hammered carpet material however folks complained and wanted the foam backed vinyl instead so be careful what you ask for. My 2001 has the hammered non-woven carpet and although it may distort at times at the seams in the ceiling underlayment it has held up much better that the vinyl and has not sagged anywhere in almost 14 years.

You will have to scrape off the foam that is still glued to the ceiling in order to bond it back however without the foam it usually will not look very nice and will telegraph any irregularities in the underlayment.

I was just going to contact Foss Manufacturing and buy a wide roll of non-woven wall carpeting to replace the foam backed material when this happened on my 1995 Vectra.

I used Foss to make up upholstered wall systems for high end offices. Really enhanced the acoustics to eliminate noisy offices.

Main site:
http://www.fossmfg.com/

Where to purchase:
http://www.fossmfg.com/where-to-buy/
Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There are a dying breed of automobile headliner installers still out there getting calls every day about replacing fallen headliners. Yikes! Every so often we follow a car that's got a drooping HL. You might want to give one of those installers a call.

Also, if you decide to do the job yourself, follow the adhesive instructions very carefully. Some call for the adhesive to "cure" for a period of time before installing the fabric.

Good luck - I have yet to replace my headliner, BUT my day is coming!

Phil
Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Falling Ceiling

I just replace my ceiling for the same issue. The problem is the foam backing to the vinyl deteriorates with time, heat and humidity. My motorhome has been in Florida since new which I feel contributes to the deterioration. I first noticed a bubble in the ceiling in one location but later found multiple areas. Winnebago sold me the replacement foam backed vinyl for about $50 per yard. I needed 24 yards for the job.
You will be amazed at how easily the old vinyl comes off. Use a steel brush to get the old foam off and be very careful to collect the old foam on some plastic sheeting as it is very sticky. I made some 3/4X3/4 moldings to go around the periphery of the ceiling to hide the connection of the ceiling to the sidewall.
It is a very messy and fussy job and will take two people to reapply the new. It is easy to understand why nobody is interested in doing it for you.
Good Luck! I feel your pain.
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Check with an automotive headliner shop.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had an old Winnebago, same thing happened to it. Took it to a semi-retired upholsterer. His solution: beginning and the front and moving to the back, he stretched it tight and ran a row of staples every 2 ft. So every 2 ft from port side to starboard side was a row of many staples. Once it was all tight and stapled, he covered the staple row with white, flat wood trim from Lowes. A year later the bedroom ceiling separated, and I did the same thing.

I had a few small "bunches" of material next to the cabinets, but not a bad fix. Not a lot of money, and not a "major" project.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling repair

A year ago my 2005 Itasca Horizon had the same problem. The front 3/4 of the coach headliner just started falling down. I purchased a 5 in 1, sharpened it and started scraping the old foam and glue from the plywood panels that make up the ceilng. Used a paint drop cloth to cover the area below where I was working. After scraping, a piece of old carpet (The Backing) when rubbed over the ceiling removes the rest of the foam.
Now for a replacement product. (No more Vinyl) On Line I looked up Acoustical fabric/ carpet. The carpet is a carpet without a backing, it only has a sizing on the back. My ceiling is in 48" x 96" sections with plastic trim pieces in between. Use 3M spray adhesive, if I remember it is the 99 adhesive. You can staple a corner or partial edge (it will be under the plastic trim). With a helper spray about 2 feet, carefully place carpet on glue, allowing about an extra 1/2 that you tuck in above the wall (No moulding needed)
Removing the old foam/glue took about 3 days. Installing the new material was done in 4 days.
The place I purchased material from Was Goldcrest Wallcoverings. They furnished samples and were the best price. Phone numbers are
1 800 535 9513 or 1 518 478 7214 ask for Neil Gold.

A word of warning "If you ever try to wash your vinyl ceiling, the act of rubbing it to clean it, will break break the bond of the foam"
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Having guests who like to touch the ceiling will also hasten its fall.

The non-woven wall carpets are usually the lightest and easiest to work with and apply like wall paper using a contact adhesive however do not use a solid vinyl material or vinyl wall paper as the material has to be porous to prevent mildew from occurring between the ceiling covering and the underlayment.

Tags
ceiling