Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if this is the right forum but I will start here. A co-worker of mine just had his RV broken into. They broke into the basement storage by undoing the wing-nut lock (i.e., the non-key locking side), sliding in a screwdriver, and sliding it over to unlock the other cam lock. I like having the wing-nut locks for convenience sake but I am thinking it might be wise to put locking cams on both sides of the storage door to prevent what happend to my friend. My question is do you simply drill a hole in the door and put in the cam lock or is it more difficult than that?

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if this is the right forum but I will start here. A co-worker of mine just had his RV broken into. They broke into the basement storage by undoing the wing-nut lock (i.e., the non-key locking side), sliding in a screwdriver, and sliding it over to unlock the other cam lock. I like having the wing-nut locks for convenience sake but I am thinking it might be wise to put locking cams on both sides of the storage door to prevent what happend to my friend. My question is do you simply drill a hole in the door and put in the cam lock or is it more difficult than that?

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #3

I believe the Sunstar is the only Itasca class A model that uses the locking cams along with the wing-nuts.

If you have a wing nut on one side and a locking wing nut on the other, I would put locking nuts on BOTH sides. Im not sure if you would have to drill out anything as you will already have the hole.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

FrontRangeRVer, thanks. By wing nut I mean the type that doesn't lock, you just twist it like you would a wing nut.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bjbkkb:
FrontRangeRVer, thanks. By wing nut I mean the type that doesn't lock, you just twist it like you would a wing nut. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mine don't have wing nut latches, but anyone half observant and having a phillips head screwdriver can be in any of my basement compartments in about 30 seconds if they are fast ...might take a minute to do it in relaxed mode. But I figure anyone who breaks in won't do it the easy way ...they probably will pry the door open with a bar, popping the plastic latches off and damaging two doors in the process. ...unless they have access to another Winnebago, in which case they can probably just use the key
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have two big door hatchs in the back for the storage area. I have one key locked cylinder on one side and a wing nut type cylinder on the other. Since it is so easy to open the wing nut side I decided to put the wing nut in the center and have key locked cylinders on the sides. I ordered the keyed cylinders from my local winnebago dealer and they just arrived last week. I will have to drill out a hole in the center to fit the wing nut unit.
Two keyed cylinders and all hardware for them cost 38 bucks.
I spotted almost identical lock type cylinders at ace hardware the other day and if knew I would probably have gone with those. I didn't really look at them carefully but from the short time I did look them over they looked as if they would fit fine. Plus they were cheaper. I am not sure if they can be keyed alike either..
My adventurer had a seperate key for the basement storage doors that I thought was different for each coach? but not sure about that - Those doors were very easy to pop open esp. if you didn't care about breaking things.
I think they now use 10 different keys. I guess it's better than the old 751 key that fits all.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

CTcamper, that is exactly what I was thinking. Put the two locks on the ends and the wingnut in the middle. A determined thief will not be deterred but hopefully the RV next to me will look like an easier job than mine.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Isn't adding another lock on a storage compartment sorta like putting a dead bolt on a screen door? The latch pockets and door are so flexible they would give with even a small amount of force. If someone really wants in a second lock isn't going to deter them. They just have to do a little more damage to get in.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It is not that difficut to break in but:
One lock they could use a small branch or twig to pry one side enough to get fingers under the hatch door and rip it open, whereas the two locks should need a screwdriver or tire iron to pry with. Just enough to deter someone.
If it takes them a few more minutes to break into them then that's a few minutes extra where they might be seen.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">two locks should need a screwdriver or tire iron to pry with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That depends on what the latch bolts and latch bolt pockets are made of. In the case of my coach, the single center-mounted lock has latch bolts out both sides of the compartment door -- so is much like your "two lock" version. That sounds secure, but the latch bolts are plastic, AND they go into plastic pockets. The latch bolts break with normal use, and I doubt the plastic pockets are much stronger. I suspect any door could be jerked open by simple taking hold of the door bottom, and jerking upward.