Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The previous owner put in an extend-a-stay hookup. Where do I put the extra propane tank to hook up to it when traveling in the MH, I know it should never go inside.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The previous owner put in an extend-a-stay hookup. Where do I put the extra propane tank to hook up to it when traveling in the MH, I know it should never go inside.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

As mentioned in an adjacent forum,I'd not vote for the roof of the coach either...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by auntsis:
The previous owner put in an extend-a-stay hookup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now unless I'm totally mistaken the extend-a-stay uses the main LP tank and it has a tap-in device so you can run a remote LP line to another gas fired appliance adjacent to the motorhome. This allows you to use the LP from the main tank and no other LP tanks would be required at this point.

So, I believe that you can leave the extra LP tank "home".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I asked about storing a 20 lb bottle (for the BBQ grill) in the basement a few months ago on rv.net and talk about a polarizing subject! There were about ten responders telling me I was going to die in a huge ball of flame if I do and there were as many on the other side of the fence claiming it was safe enough and it is a very common practice.

I do chose to store my 20 lb bottle in the basement. My decision was based on understanding the potential dangers and the realization that there wasn't really ANY good place to haul it. I am diligent about ensuring that the valve is always tightly closed anytime I put the bottle away.

So it is a personal choice; some wouldn't dream of storing it in a basement compartment, others do (like me.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

John,
Those who would not carry the 20lb tank in their basement, are probably the same ones who will carry a number of the small bottles for the smaller BBQ's.
I don't carry the big tank (20 lbs)), just two or three little ones
Bob
Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greyhound:
John,
Those who would not carry the 20lb tank in their basement, are probably the same ones who will carry a number of the small bottles for the smaller BBQ's.
I don't carry the big tank (20 lbs)), just two or three little ones
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Driver,you are right on the money,as the extend a flow is indeed a hose that works off the big bottle...
I carry two or three of the little green ones for our grill....I use a sheet or two of bubble wrap to minimize the clanking...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
A suggestion would be to check with your insurance agent. If the larger tank would void your insurance, you may want to consider leaving it at home.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 01-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The extend-a-stay that I use serves 2 purposes. 1. I can use propane from an external source (like another big bottle) saving my onboard propane for other uses. 2. It is also a tap for fueling a propane appliance using the onboard propane.

We use a lot of propane in the winter and it's really nice not to have to move the coach to refill.

So we have an external 30# bottle that I carry in the under-kitchen slide storage. This is the storage that is not integral to the basement. Theoretically, no gas would enter the living area because it is not connected to the coach compartments.

I don't know the legality of what I'm doing, or the impact of having a bottle of propane in the slide storage in the event I get broadsided. Since the main propane tank is only 2 feet from where the portable bottle is, it might not make that much difference.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer:
Now unless I'm totally mistaken the extend-a-stay uses the main LP tank and it has a tap-in device so you can run a remote LP line to another gas fired appliance adjacent to the motorhome. This allows you to use the LP from the main tank and no other LP tanks would be required at this point.[QUOTE]
The extend-a-stay allows you to hook up an extra tank to use while keeping the main tank in reserve. It also has a tap to use for outside appliances. When I bought ours over 20 years ago you could buy the 'standard' kit with the hose to hook up the external tank; or the 'deluxe' kit with both hoses. Haven't looked lately to see how they are sold now.
Loren
Old 01-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loren:
The extend-a-stay allows you to hook up an extra tank to use while keeping the main tank in reserve. It also has a tap to use for outside appliances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Loren, Thank you for that. I got the idea now. It's an extend-a-stay more than an extend-a-flow.

By the way guys I carry a 5 lb. LP tank in the basement, wouldn't leave home without it. A 5 pounder lasts for a pretty long time and it's refillable. After about 4 years of ownership I believe it's paid for itself.

Happy New Year Loren!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
Since the main propane tank is only 2 feet from where the portable bottle is, it might not make that much difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, Your right either flash bang would be just as loud as the other.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

LP or natural gas is certainly not the thing to guess with....Some unforgiving consequences....
Old 01-03-2006, 03:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I do chose to store my 20 lb bottle in the basement. My decision was based on understanding the potential dangers and the realization that there wasn't really ANY good place to haul it. I am diligent about ensuring that the valve is always tightly closed anytime I put the bottle away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I carry a 30# aluminum tank for my Weber Q. Not any more of a problem than hauling the tank in one's car to have it filled.

Tom
lot #41 Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL until April
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I carry and 11# tank. Also look at the 5th wheel owners. There tanks are enclosed in side a cabinet and not vented.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I do like John Canfield .. Never has been a problem. If it blows, cya there. Happy New Year
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
I do like John Canfield .. Never has been a problem. If it blows, cya there. Happy New Year </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When in doubt....be like John!!

Sounds like terrific advice to me....
Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will use the smaller, 5lb, extra and wrap it in bubble under the slide. In November we were almost out, due to an unexpected cold spell and we had not left home with a full tank so we had to unhook and refill.