Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Expected Cost of Passenger Windshield

I have a 2004 Meridian with split windshield and the passenger side needs to be replaced due to a growing crack from an old chip.

What can I expect in costs for those of you who replaced a half of a two piece windshield and is there a company better to use?

Thanks!
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Cost to replace either side should be the same. I used Nomad Glass when I had my driver side replaced. They had a local installer come to the house to replace the glass, very efficient and professional operation. Expect to pay approximately $1,000.00, give or take a little before applying any discounts or insurance deductibles.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to 2003horizon Send a message via Yahoo to 2003horizon
Hi!

Just had mine replaced in a 2003 Horizon 39d; it costed me $100 with my ins. See if yours will pay for this too.

John and Christine
2003horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Dave,
Evenin' Sir. Well, we too had a cracked windshield a while back and, it too was the passenger side. Long story short. We acquired a chip in it, very low to the bottom, about 2/3 away from the center post. So, I contemplated doing one of those "Windshield repairs kit" things myself. You know me, I always try to fix things myself. So, I proceeded to research the kits to see if there was any differences between any of the ones on the market.

That took me about a couple of weeks. So, after narrowing it down to one, the Permatex version, I decided to head out in the morning and pick one up at the local Auto Zone parts store. So, I went out to the coach to take one last look and, low and behold, that chip, which had been sitting dormant for the three weeks that we had been home from the trip, had started to "run".

It ran about 11" in ONE NIGHT!!!! So, I, just like you, put it out over the net as to what the cost etc. might be. Well, one gent came back and asked: "Why don't you just get the crack fixed"?? I said, hmmmmmm. How in the world can a crack be fixed??? Well, the wife and I cruised through the local yellow pages and found, "The crack doctor". Hmmm, sounds a bit lewd. But, a phone call later and, he was on his way to our home.

He worked for about an hour and a half. He stop-drilled the ends and, a place or two in the middle. He filled the crack with solution as he progressed. In the end, the crack almost is invisible, two, it's guaranteed to not travel. And so far, that's been repaired about 18 months and it's still only a about as long as it was when repaired. The total cost of that repair, about $130.00.

My estimate of the replacement cost of that side was right close to $1,000.00 and, we've got a high deductible so, a large percentage of the cost of the windshield replacement was going to come out of my pocket anyway.

Now, I don't know how bad yours is cracked and, in what position it is in/on the windshield but, I'd sure take a look at getting it semi-repaired, if that's an option. I was told by multiple sources that, if at all possible, keep the original windshield halves, in place as long as humanly possible. All agree that, that's the best application/seal/install that you'll ever have. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My insurance has a deductible, but both glass and awnings are covered 100%, no deductible for that.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
My insurance has a deductible, but both glass and awnings are covered 100%, no deductible for that.
tedgard01,
When I posted my windshield chip/crack issue, I encountered many folks like you, that have a "glass" rider in their policy. We've never had that luxury. In fact, I don't think any insurance company in So CAL offers any glass riders. But, I'm not an agent so, I really don't know. My deductibles on all of my policies have been $500 for decades which include the motor home, the truck, and the Goldwing. It keeps my premiums way down. But, that's just the way we run things.

It seems insurance companies do things differently all over the U.S.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our National Insurance replaced ours', no charge.

I don't know if that is a Florida law, but we had the MH windshield and pickup windshield replaced at no charge.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Windshield replacement

I would recommend "Duncan Systems" they are a national company that will come to your location, just about anywhere in the country. On a Winnebago product don't let a bad windshield go to long as it may be caused by rust on the frame the windshield attaches to. When Duncan has replaced mine the have ground all the rust off the frame, primed and painted it and then installed the new windshield. They also guarantee no leaks as long as you own the motor home.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My deductable is $500.00 and I wan't going to put in a claim until I found out it was going to cost lots more than I thought.

Fireup,

The crack is from another repair of a chip and extends from both side of the chip now. Luckly the passenger side is catching the chips and this crack. The driver's side is clean. If it can be repaired it would be great as it is so low in the windshield as to not block the view.

I have called all over to include Nomad, and will call Duncan. I have a local guy that I have used on my other vehicles and he is good. Hartford is sending an adjuster Friday. The prices are all over the place with a high of $1,800.00. It will cost me my deductable but I like a leak proof warranty that Duncan and Nomad offer.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Our National Insurance replaced ours', no charge.

I don't know if that is a Florida law, but we had the MH windshield and pickup windshield replaced at no charge.

Ron
GMAC replaced my passenger side windshield for $0
All Florida Insurance has $0 deductible for glass, except liability only polices. Probably why my MH & toad insurance is a little $$$ high.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Replaced driver side windshield November 2012; total cost was $1400+ because the framing needed to be repaired due to rust. My insurance company covered all but the deductible. The work was done in Forest City @ Winnebago.
cjlatour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The passenger windshield was replaced today by the Nomand Glass sub-contractor. He was very nice and did a great job. Once the old windshield was removed, I was pleased to see absolutely no rust in the frame. The new windshield went in and he was off. The total bill was $1,125.00 before my $500.00 deductible.