Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Eternabond removal

Since many of us with Winnebago coaches have used eternabond at the roof/sidewall seam, I thought I would share my efforts to remove some of it prior to having my coach painted. While we've elected to use a color scheme that will use enough white to allow us to leave the 2" Ebond along the seam in place, I did have to remove a couple of smaller pieces I had placed along the outer edge of the rear cap at the top (the cap will be fully painted).

The ebond website suggested heating the tape with a heat gun or hair dryer before attempting to remove it. I used the hair dryer. The tape will pull up pretty easily but the sticky adhesive backing...that is another story. I see how it got its name...the stuff really, really sticks. You can kind of roll/scrape the sticky goo as you heat it but it is a mess. What I could not scrape off I could dissolve with Goop adhesive remover. I suspect other solvents might work....perhaps acetone or MEK.

We had first picked a color scheme that would change all the white to a tan color but that would have required painting the roof radius. I had resigned myself to the task of removing 70' feet of tape. However, to save on labor (no need to paint all the existing white awning hardware, window awnings, slide awning hardware, etc.) we picked a scheme that will not require any painting above the drip rail and will include just enough white to not require a change in exterior hardware color. We've seen another coach like ours with a similar scheme and it looks really good.

So, if you ever want/need to remove any eternabond, be prepared to do some real messy work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Thanks fir the tips. But I'm really more interested in your painting of the RV. Where will you have it done? How long will it take? Any other info you may add?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If both of you guys paint your coaches. You will be the envy of the forum. Two of you with old "new" ageless MOHOS. No one will ever be able to tell what year you have. Its only money friends, go for it..Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Thanks fir the tips. But I'm really more interested in your painting of the RV. Where will you have it done? How long will it take? Any other info you may add?
All of the shops I've spoken to (3) say the job will take 3 - 4 weeks. I am likely to use Commercial Refinishers in Durham, NC. I am waiting now for their final estimate.

www.commercialrefinishersdurham.com

This is the paint scheme we have selected with a few modifications. It will be white where you see tan in the pic and green where you see brown. The gray looking swoop in the middle may end up blue (I like the gray, DW likes blue....guess who will win that argument ).

As you can see from this design, using white as the primary color will not require anything above the drip rail to be painted. Also, all our window awnings, main awning, and slide topper hardware will not need to be painted. We will also not need to paint the sidewalls of either slide...they are in great shape. This saves a considerable amount of $$ in labor.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

This is something we've been talking about doing, for more than a year. I think that design looks great, and makes sense to work a color scheme around what you already have. That will save thousands of dollars that could be used for other things.

Jimmy, yea I know, it's only money, and if we don't spend it, someone else will. If I had more of it, I wouldn't be just "thinking" about this.

I'm going to have to wait until my 'current' project (RV/boat garage) is finished, to see where we are. I'm spending more than I originally planned. Isn't that always the way.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had my 02 Journey full body painted at CDI. They do all the new Winnebago's.

Excellent price and quality. 5 days total and no complaints from me.

Worth at least a telephone call to:

Dave Nagle
General Manager CDI
641-585-5900

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey 128,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I had my 02 Journey full body painted at CDI. They do all the new Winnebago's.

Excellent price and quality. 5 days total and no complaints from me.

Worth at least a telephone call to:

Dave Nagle
General Manager CDI
641-585-5900

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey 128,000 miles
XL-7 toad
I considered them. I tried to call them twice and never got an answer....I was using a number from their web site. In any case, they are also a long way from where I live and having someone close by works better for me.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

For what it's worth - I repainted my 95 Vectra 37W locally 2 years back. It cost around $10,000 CDN at the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May, 2007 041.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	3671   Click image for larger version

Name:	May, 2007 044.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	3672  

ULTFREQCCA is offline   Reply With Quote