Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #1

I have a 2005 Sightseer and the roof & seams to look pretty good so far. I'm interested in knowing the way to do a proper inspection of roof seams, vent and skylight seams, etc. the proper way to use Eternabond. Below is a link to Eternabond by the roll; do I simply clean the seam and run the Eternabond the entire length of the seam? Once laid down, do I apply an even pressure to set the tape? Seems simple enough, but I'd rather learn from someone's experience before making a mess...

Thank you,

Eternabond Repair Tape
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=377
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #2

I have a 2005 Sightseer and the roof & seams to look pretty good so far. I'm interested in knowing the way to do a proper inspection of roof seams, vent and skylight seams, etc. the proper way to use Eternabond. Below is a link to Eternabond by the roll; do I simply clean the seam and run the Eternabond the entire length of the seam? Once laid down, do I apply an even pressure to set the tape? Seems simple enough, but I'd rather learn from someone's experience before making a mess...

Thank you,

Eternabond Repair Tape
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=377
Old 06-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Richard,

If you do a search on Eternabond, I think you will find a lot of information. Many on the forum, including myself, have used this stuff.

I washed my coach (including the roof), cleaned the roof seam area with spray brake cleaner, then applied the tape. I cut the 4" roll into 2" wide lengths and used a wallpaper seam roller to help press down the tape.

The stuff really sticks and I'd say it is pretty much a permanent fix.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #4

Thanks smlranger;

Seems pretty straight-forward; I noticed looking at Camping World dot com there is a version that says 'with built-in primer' but it doesn't say what that means. I assume I would still clean the area and I haven't seen anything more than that for prepping it, so I'm not sure what the primer-version gets you...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This version of Eternabond "Can be painted to match surface". The paintable ones without the built in primer require you to apply a special primer yourself after you install the EternaBond so that paint will stick to it.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

This site might come in handy if you do an oops with the tape.
Removing Eternabond Tape.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just applied "eternabond tape" (purchased from RV Upgrades because of this forum) to my MIL (Mother in Law) porch in Fla this past weekend.

Pesky roof (metal) leak that no amount of caulk would seal. Eternabond tape did the trick. I cleaned the seams with a soap and bleach solution because of 1/4" of mold and then followed the instructions that come with the product. Be careful when applying the tape as it is very aggressive and any mistake will require more than a little effort to correct.

I think that just about any non petroleum based medium that does not leave a residu will be adequate to prep the seam. The instructions that come with the product are really all that one needs. Good Luck...

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote