Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Eternabond procedure

Noticed that my fiberglass roof had separated from the sealant on the drip rail so I ordered 4" eternabond tape. My question, for those that know, is do you start on top of the drip rail or come over the top of that to? There's not alot of material to attach the tape to on the bottom side. I only want to do this once.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Alan,
You are in luck. With Eternabond, you'll get only one chance. So you will do it right the first time. I had more room, on each side, than you do. Consider putting as much Eternabond on the lower side as possible. The ideal would be to have the seam right in the middle of the Eternabond. If the drip rail can not be used as a guide, consider running a chalk line the length you will be applying Eternabond. This helps placement of the Eternabond in a straight line. This is because you really only get one chance. Once this stuff contacts the coach, that's it. There is no repositioning. Lastly, start at the rear and work forward. If you have a seam, the most forward Eternabond will overlap the most rearward Eternabond.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When I did my 99 Adventurer several years ago...the first thing I did was cut the tape in half...to 2 inches....I then started at back of RV...doing a little at a time... placing it in the gutter rail and laying it down upwards....never had a problem and it was still secure when I traded it in last June

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I too brought the bottom edge of the Eternabond tape out to the edge of the drip rail. Tucked in as I went along. Follow the cleaning instructions is key to good adhesion (as well as using a good wallpaper seam roller). Don't try to do a long run of tape, rather remove the backing is shorter, more managable lengths.
Good luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I also cut the tape into 2" widths. My Journey has a rain gutter so I stuck the bottom edge of the tape as deep into that gutter as possible, with about 1 1/4" of the tape overlapping the top of the gutter and onto the roof radius. As suggested, start with a short run and pull the backing from the tape as you go. I cleaned the surface with non-chlorine brake cleaner and that was 4 years ago and it is stuck fast.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Alan

Go over the Top!! Get the 4" Eternabond and get the Seam as close to the centre as possible.

Get set up with a Straight Line for one side of Eternabond, Chalk Line as Gary has said or Use a straightedge to draw a line!!

Wash and clean the roof before applying.

Do ALL seams/Joints Once done No Leaks

Rick
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Eternabond is a great product. I covered every seam on my roof with it. The one thing you must do is make sure the area you are going to cover is clean. I messed up when I first started to cover the side seam running the length of the unit. I did it in sections. This wont effect the sealing of the seams but I dont like the way it looks..On the other side I layed the Eternabong in one piece. taking my time and laying it down a foot at a time. It looks much better when put down in one continuous piece.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote