Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I kept loosing air in my tires. I didn't like the ride and had the Equal removed and the front tires spin balanced earlier.

Come to find out the Equal was fouling the extenders and causing them to leak air. The valve in the extenders could not be removed and the tires had the special valve provided by Equal.

When I bought the tires the dealer could not spin balance the tires and that is why the Equal to begin with. Found a dealer who could and he removed the equal from all four rear tires, spin balanced them and put on new extenders.

Yes , I know that when you use extenders unless you have a good fit they are trouble. However, I am 6'2",330 lbs and I find it very difficult to get to and fit my size 12 hands in the little holes to remove the caps and add air. The extenders help my disability.
Good Miles,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I kept loosing air in my tires. I didn't like the ride and had the Equal removed and the front tires spin balanced earlier.

Come to find out the Equal was fouling the extenders and causing them to leak air. The valve in the extenders could not be removed and the tires had the special valve provided by Equal.

When I bought the tires the dealer could not spin balance the tires and that is why the Equal to begin with. Found a dealer who could and he removed the equal from all four rear tires, spin balanced them and put on new extenders.

Yes , I know that when you use extenders unless you have a good fit they are trouble. However, I am 6'2",330 lbs and I find it very difficult to get to and fit my size 12 hands in the little holes to remove the caps and add air. The extenders help my disability.
Good Miles,
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

ichn2go;

I am on my 2nd set of tires with Equal. I have never had a problem with Equal. My extenders did however cause problems and were always causing pressure loses. I replaced the valve stems on the inside duals with long bendable stems that stick out through the outside dual. These have the special valve cores and no problems.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don, I am glad your not having any problems.
I was and am now using the braided metal type that fasten to the outside metal aluminum rim.

This makes it very easy to check the air , yet with the Equal it did clog up the original set..
and cause the loss of air in the tires.
Good Miles
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

I just went through this evolution and I posted it in the WIT Club Discussion Forum. My tire wound up flat as a pancake. I aired up my tire and it's fine and holding at the moment. Someone installed new valve cores without the equal filters.

When I stuck my tire with my air gauge the equal backed up into the valve stem and more likely into my air gauge. A slow leak ensued.

I am going to go to our Black's Tire Service (BTS) here in Conway and go back to wheel weights. I received an estimate for $350.00 to dismount, clean, re-stem and balance 6 - 22.5 XRVs. I don't think that's too bad. I'll rotate the fronts to the rears at that time as well.

On my previous motorhome I had equal installed and I didn't have any problems because I had it done by an "Equal" dealership that did the job correctly the first time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My wife keeps her Equal in a little glass bowl in a cabinet with the other condiments.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
My wife keeps her Equal .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Count me in as another satisfied Equal customer. I've had mine for nearly 3 yrs now without any problems. The tire shop was very familiar with the process.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote