Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveroot View Post
hi everyone. I'm not here to advertise so please do not kick me off the site.

I heard you all was talking about different things to do to your windows from my customers. They tell me i should get on and meet you all so here I am.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me either here or in my email on my site.
I was reading through some of the things you all have heard. A few things right off not to do is do not drill the glass, it will break as it is tempered and will make a mess and could cause damage to your self or others.

another thing is drilling the holes in the metal frame isn't doing anything more than what the sunlight does.. by heating up the frame and evaporating the moisture in the glass.

Putting chemicals in the glass is only going to make it not fixable when taking it to get it fixed. Placing chemicals in the glass or on it will result failure to any new seal.

If you break out the inside glass and you have had the fogging problem for a long time it will not do you much good because the outside pane of glass is the one that is stained...(etched by the moisture attached to the glass for so long) and if you break out the outside pane then you will not have the dark colored glass, or on the front driver cab windows and entry door window you wouldn't have the dot green glass that is required.

The longer the glass is foggy and the longer that water droplets in between the panes is there the more the glass will be etched and thus causing permanent damage to the glass. At a certain point new glass would be needed..thus increasing the cost of repair.

I dont want to over step my bounds in here and get kicked out.... i just giving you some safety tips...and information to the questions, I just want to help.
scirocco22:
i wasn't very clear about where to drill...

dave root: thanks for posting the window fogging info here on the forum. so far, the vent holes i drilled in my window frame are working.

driver: plz don't get on daves case. maybe you can make him an "associate" (free or at least cheap) sponsor for performing this public service for us on the forum. we need all the info about the window issue that we can get. in my case, it is a safety issue in that my mirror at times has become obscured. it looks like finally someone has come up with a fix for a vexing problem.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Dan L, your welcome.
That is very interesting that you have not gotten any fogging sense you drilled. How long has it been?
daveroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I will be near the Tampa area the end of April. I have a "foggy" window on the drivers side. I called Suncoast Designers and inquired about their prices. The lady told me it would be $200 per window and that it would take about 2-4 hours. She also said that if the glass wouldn't come out without breaking that they could replace it with new glass. The new glass replacement would be about $50 more and encompass a couple days worth of time.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Dan L, your welcome.
That is very interesting that you have not gotten any fogging sense you drilled. How long has it been?
it has been about 6 months since i drilled the window frame. there is still some residual staining, but it doesn't obscure the mirror.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Check out your local glass shops. You may find several can make up dual pane windows. In that case if your glass is good they can take yours apart, clean it and reseal it. I don't have any idea of the cost as my neighor has done two of mine at no charge. But it might be worth checking at a local glass shop.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
Check out your local glass shops. You may find several can make up dual pane windows. In that case if your glass is good they can take yours apart, clean it and reseal it. I don't have any idea of the cost as my neighor has done two of mine at no charge. But it might be worth checking at a local glass shop.

If you use a random glass shop, really check them out that they understand how the windows come out of the coach.

I have personally seen some work from some glass shops that have damaged things and made a mess of things. I'm not saying all shops do this...just be careful.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
it has been about 6 months since i drilled the window frame. there is still some residual staining, but it doesn't obscure the mirror.

Dan L ,

that is interesting that it has worked...I'll be looking into it. Did you just drill into the frame an inch or so from the glass? what size hole? 1/8'' ?
I have a strong background in IGU's and this is a first. That is awesome that it has been so long and no fogg up. What are the weather conditions your in with your coach?...hot, cold...morning night....?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Dan L ,

that is interesting that it has worked...I'll be looking into it. Did you just drill into the frame an inch or so from the glass? what size hole? 1/8'' ?
I have a strong background in IGU's and this is a first. That is awesome that it has been so long and no fogg up. What are the weather conditions your in with your coach?...hot, cold...morning night....?
i drilled 6 ea 1/16" holes through the aft vertical mount channel starting at the bottom of the channel about 1/2 inch apart. the holes vent to the outside. the glass panes are not much more than 1/16" apart on my window. the drill bit actually went between the glass panes. i think that a 1/8 drill would have been too big, it would have hit the glass. i have not sealed the holes.
we are in vanc. wa. and it rains a lot. we had about 12" of snow in nov and dec.:(
we are parked mostly in a motorhome barn when we are in vanc. wa.
when we are in the barn, the temp is about 5 deg warmer than outside. we had 27 deg lows 2 nights last week.:( it gets really hot here in the summer. i have seen it over 100 deg.:(
i read about this procedure and others on the old irv2 forum. there is a search function on the new forum, but it doesn't work as well as the old forum for me.:(
there was a lot of window info on the old forum. that is where i found out about you and bookmarked your website.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
If you use a random glass shop, really check them out that they understand how the windows come out of the coach.

I have personally seen some work from some glass shops that have damaged things and made a mess of things. I'm not saying all shops do this...just be careful.
I would suggest removing your own windows from the RV and just take the glass in if you want to save money.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i drilled 6 ea 1/16" holes through the aft vertical mount channel starting at the bottom of the channel about 1/2 inch apart. the holes vent to the outside. the glass panes are not much more than 1/16" apart on my window. the drill bit actually went between the glass panes. i think that a 1/8 drill would have been too big, it would have hit the glass. i have not sealed the holes.
we are in vanc. wa. and it rains a lot. we had about 12" of snow in nov and dec.:(
we are parked mostly in a motorhome barn when we are in vanc. wa.
when we are in the barn, the temp is about 5 deg warmer than outside. we had 27 deg lows 2 nights last week.:( it gets really hot here in the summer. i have seen it over 100 deg.:(
i read about this procedure and others on the old irv2 forum. there is a search function on the new forum, but it doesn't work as well as the old forum for me.:(
there was a lot of window info on the old forum. that is where i found out about you and bookmarked your website.

Dan L,
that pretty good temp changes. I have seen some windows that the seal is broken and the glass not even sticking to the seal and they still fog up. Must have something to do with too much venting at that point. Must be a happy medium.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
I would suggest removing your own windows from the RV and just take the glass in if you want to save money.
zippo, good idea that does same lots of money.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Is everyone enjoying the great summer??
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Just an update on my fogged entry door window. I took off the trim on the door and then removed the window frame and took it to a local glass shop. They made up a new dual pane window (new everything as they did not like the look of my glass) and installed it back into the window frame that I had removed from the door. Total cost was $165.00 and about 1 hour of my time (the time to remove and replace the window frame and trim on the door).
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

David, what did they do to evacuate the moisture in the airspace between the panes? The reason I ask, is I saw a glass shop in Florida that rebuilds/replaces dual-pane windows, and they have a needle sort of apparatus that replaces the air with an inert gas, and that is supposed to prevent fogging between the panes.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

David K..........did they order you new tempered glass to replace your old glass?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

CaptBill................I dont know what they do when they build windows.
what I use for a new seal allows me to build a window and it dries the air inside the unit after it is built. My opinion is that this is better then injecting anything in the glass after it is built because that needle would leave a week spot in the new seal which could cause premuture failure. My website tells you how it works and tells some good information about the new seal i use. I dont want to get kicked off this site for promoting my website...but i think someone else has posted it someplace up above. Lots of good info there.

Also i read here that some people are worried that a failed window can cause water damage to the walls of their coach.... that isn't likely at all the water inside the window would evap out most of the time stays inside the glass. any damage to the walls of the coach would be from water leaking around the outside of the window frame into the coach walls.