Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Entry Door Stuck

I have an 18 Vista 31 BE. The entry door to the rig won’t open, all the windows are locked, and that door is the only entry. It is not locked (lock smith confirmed), and he checked to see if he could get in a window, but couldn’t find a way to get in (didn’t charge me). It isn’t frozen; the heat is on inside, and I made a little house with a blanket hung off door and held a space heater inside to confirm, no change.

I called the dealer, they had no adivce other than refer me to a mobile rv service tech since I can’t drive or tow it. No mobile RV service is availabe (over 70 miles away).

I saw a post about drilling the latch out on a 2010. Will that work on my model? Any other options?

We are on a trip in the rig staying with family, so we can stay in their house, but most of our clothes and some other stuff are stuck in there. And, we need to travel home on the 26th. I’m going to call the factory Monday (the 24th) to ask for forgiveness of drilling, and we are only 50 miles from Forest City if I need to get a part (not sure if that is possible factory direct).
plancast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Stuck how? On our 14 Sunstar, the screen door will get stuck sometimes if it's out of alignment or there's something on the hinge side shimming it out. (I have a coat hook on that wall, and occasionally a coat will get stuck in it.

Since the screen door is latched to the main door they both get stuck.

OTOH, I read in the recall area here somewhere that some door locks had been recalled due to a problem like this. You might check that out.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If the cylinder is unlocked, drilling it out probably won't help.

If your lock is like the one on our Sunstar, the spring bolt will slide back in when the door is closed, unlike a home door lock.

You could pry/bend out the aluminum trim covering the door gap at the latch and then use a putty knife/butter knife/hacksaw blade in the gap to slip the latch.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your reply.

The door will not open at all. The door handle moves the full range of motion, but the door won’t move more than an 1/8th inch or so. I’ve tried the “push-pull” recommendation too, and no luck. I’ve added pics of my handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE3D303A-9488-4998-B2CF-18BC2F663681.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	170732   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A0665F8-034A-4747-B1C3-0FF1119EDB87.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	170733  

Old 12-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Do you have outside leveling switches? If so, unlevel or level the coach. They can get jammed due to a skewed door frame during leveling or parking on unlevel surfaces.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you, but no, the coach does not have external leveling. It was set up for a couple days, and does not to appear to have changed.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The plate on the inside of the door that holds the mechanism in position might have moved towards the door jamb slightly and the deadbolt is not being fully retracted into the door with the mechanism operated by the outside key. If that's what happened then the dead bolt is just barely into the rectangular hole in the jamb, but enough to prevent the door from opening. You can't move it any farther with the key but with door open you can pop it on in with your finger or using the deadbolt knob on the inside of the door.

The fact you can move the door back and forth 1/8" tells me that the non-deadbolt latch that catches on the big round pin is released and not the problem, it is the deadbolt plunger holding the door shut.

This happened to me on my 2015 Vista, fortunately I noticed before getting locked out. The fix is properly positioning the plate and then tightening the screws that are loose that secure the plate once you get inside. There are no index pins to keep the plate from moving out of position if the screws are not tight enough, so tighten them up well once you get in.

Before breaking a window, I suggest you remove all the screws on the plate going up the latch side door edge and carefully expose the jamb to door edge gap so you can try to push the deadbolt on in thru the gap with a tool like a butter knife or similar. You do this once you have used your deadbolt key to move the deadbolt into the door as far as the key can take it.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
2014 Journey 36M

Sorry to hear about your problem! Try
Googling your issue - I saw several discussions/YouTube videos about RV door latch/lock problems and solutions - one might be same as yours.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Just Trying to Help

plancast-

Here is a thread that may help you, particularly post #7.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yeah! That's good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
plancast-

Here is a thread that may help you, particularly post #7.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:11 PM   #11

There was a time my RV door (with the same lock as you have) would stick when it got cold out. Assuming this is your problem:

* Use a blow dryer to heat up the lock. If that doesn't work...

* Spray a bunch of WD-40 in the lock and between the door.

My guess is that the tab on the outer door lock handle is NOT engaging with the latch mechanism. The solution is to bend the tab... after you get the door open.

You might like to review this Thread so you know how to adjust the lock: http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...re-330834.html

Note: After I adjusted my door (over 2 years ago) I have never had a problem.

Good luck.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

When I experienced a non-working door handle, I took one of my little picks ($4 at Harbor Freight) got on my step ladder next to the drivers window and was able to spread the two sliding windows enough to use the pick to take the latch off the locking tab. Then gave everyone a laugh as I crawled through the drivers window, door opened from the inside. This worked so easily I'm not sure why we lock the RV's, I now keep one of the window locks unfastened in case (or when) I get a bad door lock again.
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

UPDATE

So...after tryining to take the trim off to get to the lock (couldn’t), trying WD-40, then wiggling and cussing at the latch, my six year old nephew walked up and opened it. It appears the entire latch is loose, moves about 3/8 inch up/down/left/right in door.

Going to watch the youtube for adjusting it...and have a windown unlocked to slide open.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #14

Good to go then. But to fix your door locking problem you should review the attached .pdf file on how to bend the TriMark 30-900 lock tab so you don't get locked out again... and then you need to adjust your door nut as described in the attached file.

This is a relatively easy fix.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TriMark 30-900 LOCK OUT PROBLEM & SOLUTION (PDF).pdf (760.5 KB, 282 views)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #15

Locked In or Out?

Go to this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...rk-358744.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Tri-Mark Adjustment & Emergency Hole.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	175089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimark Door Code #21396-44E (keep).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	175090  

Old 10-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #16

Additional Resource

I got locked inside my RV the other day, but was able to escape after calling Trimark. To read about my experience and what you should do in the event this happens, you should read and down load the information in this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...rk-358744.html

Tags
door