Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

OK...I need some help with my entry door. The mechanism works when I open the door from the inside but not from the outside. I have tried spraying some liquid wrench in there and that didn't help. My dealer said to try it with the RV off the jacks but it is a problem with the latching assembly, not a chassis misalignment issue. Any ideas?

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OK...I need some help with my entry door. The mechanism works when I open the door from the inside but not from the outside. I have tried spraying some liquid wrench in there and that didn't help. My dealer said to try it with the RV off the jacks but it is a problem with the latching assembly, not a chassis misalignment issue. Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like it might be something as simple as the lever that the exterior paddle operates may have come loose. I recently had to replace my entire lock assembly because someone tried to break in and destroyed the locks. While I had it off (3 t-20 Torx screws holds mine in) I had a good look at the assembly and is is pretty simple. Good luck.

I agree with you that if it operates from the inside, it's probably not a chassis issue.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Carnles,
I have a 2007 Tour FD40 and have recently experienced the same problem as you. You're right it has nothing to do with the jacks. I was in Forest City last week getting warranty work done and they couldn't duplicate the problem. It worked fine until I got home and it started again. It doesn't occur every time, but enough to really be annoying. If you hear of a fix, please share it with me. Perhaps we need to get on another motorhome site and see how many more are having this problem.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I notice both of you have newer models. I have an '01 and experienced the same problem and could not open from the outside at all. I had to climb through a window to gain access.

There was an adjustment screw on the side of the door on my older model. Do you have this? When I adjusted the nut it worked for awhile, but eventually I had to replace the entire mechanism.

There was a thread on this topic but I don't recall the subject.

Nick, '01 Journey
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem with a Brand X motorhome door mechanism. It turned out that the mechanism was worn internally and the only solution was to replace the entire thing.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

NCTom--

A mobile repair guy came and tore apart the lock (and put a nice little scratch on the outside of the door in the process). It seemed to be a simple bit of mechanics with no cause that was evident. Then I removed the little piece of "tape" that covers the adjustment nut and when it was all put back together it worked like a charm once we adjusted that nut. It seems to work like new for the time being.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just so no one is left out in the cold (literally), the abovementioned fix worked for two days...we are currently awaiting a locksmith to help us get back into our RV. I will post the final (hopefully) repair technique when it happens. Say a prayer for us!