Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Nick, From your posts I gather that you are a full timer. Curosity makes me ask where are you now and how is full timing? Have you traveled a good portion of the USA? Art
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Art,

Great, I'm glad you got it fixed. I also went to Sears but no luck. I was able to find the socket in a small town -- can you believe that? I seem to have it working, but like you I am leaving my emergency entry open. I am also going by my dealer as I head north and am having them double check my work.

Nick
Old 05-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Art,

Yes, we are full-timing and love it. Life is much simpler and we love the frequent change of scenery. This is such a beautiful and geographically diverse country that we are never bored. We stay in a place until we want to leave. We are currently in California as that is our home state. At the moment we are visiting my oldest son who has been living in and taking care of our home until we decide what we want to do with it. Of course while home I have all these things to fix, etc. After a few days I'm ready for the road again!

We have travelled a good portion of the lower 48, most recently the mid-west and southeast. The folks in those parts of the country are so polite and cordial that we really enjoy being in their midst. Californians tend to be "rush-rush" and the culture out here is changing dramatically. We will remain in the west and northwest until the middle of July and then perhaps back east. We haven't decided. We do spend the cold months in Las Vegas as the weather is great there from Oct to May.

How about you, where are you and do you full-time?

Nick
Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Nick, Thanks for your reply. Wife and I live in Tampa, Fl. I am a retired Optometrist, (4 yr. now) Just turned 65(good ole medicare, sociable security and aarp) Wow, how time flies. Have been motorhoming off and on since 1972. Not full timing, do not think we could give up our home base. Our travels are approx. 4 mo/yr. Love our current Journey and hope to keep it for a good while more.Weather is nice here 6 mo/yr --fish,golf,family times,home maint.,etc. Hot in summer, we try to be elsewhere then. Good chating with you. Will watch for some of your future posts. Art
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Back at you Art. Enjoy your summer on the road. Perhaps our paths will cross if we evey get to FL during the good times.

Nick
Old 12-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I've been having the same problem recently. Thankfully we have a drivers door as a backup entry method.
Thanks for posting the adjusting procedure I'll try it out tomorrow. I've adjusted the nut but never knew which way our how much turn it.
Great forum, what did we do before the internet?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I adjusted the door latch yesterday according to the instructions, it seems to work better now. I hope this solves the problem of the outside door handle not opening the door.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

found this older thread and having the same issues, the threaded shaft the nut is attached to is loosey goosey on mine, does not seem normal. Do they have a little slop to them or should the shaft be tight? I am going to look for a socket today to try the adjustment.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Back near the beginning of this thread there are instructions on how to adjust the nut.

Since I posted on 12-29 the door latch has been a frequent problem. On my camper the lever on the inside of the outside handle sometimes slides under the plate it's supposed to push against to open the door. This makes the inside handle hard to open and also prevents the outside handle from opening the door.
I'm now in the market for a new inside and outside handle assembly.
Thank God we have a drivers door, I've used it allot lately.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

bought the socket, adjusted the nut and still the outside handle will not work. Took everything apart and looks to me like the mechanism is just worn out, too much slop in the handle and rods. I'm going shopping for a new one too.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Art,

I called Trimark and they faxed the "fix". Tried it but it didn't work for me. I'm trying to get into a dealer while I'm on the road.

The fix is to:

Get a 7/16" thin walled deep socket make sure the screws on the inside plate are tight and then

1. Close the rotor (the latch which closes around the post when locked).

2. Lock the handle from the inside (using the lower manual locking lever).

3. While pulling up on the inside handle, manually (no power) turn the nut clockwise until the latch (rotor) releases.

4. Manually turn the nut counterclockwise 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns.

5. Unlock the door and open the door from the inside handle. The latch should release before the inside handle reaches maximum travel.

Hope this helps you. Finding the thin walled socket was difficult and I was unable to find one at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, and 2-3 auto part stores.

Nick
Thank you so much for this detailed FYI from Trimark I just used this procedure on my 06 Winnebago Adventurer 35A and it worked perfectly to resolve this lock out problem we've been struggling with for months. Woohoo!
Tip47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Mission impossible door latch or lock?

I don't know if this is the problem we have but had the situation where we would go out the door and close it on our 15 vista and it would lock behind us. It started doing it repeatedly. Thank goodness we then always took a extra set of keys with us after we left the 2nd time. The factory replaced the mechanism and this situation still does it. So I'll print this out and double ck it this weekend. Yes the fist time we had accidently left a window unlocked only to be a blessing in disguise since we don't have the driver's door.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

If it is a tri-mark use a mehanic's seal pic to deprss the plunger, (From outside) then you can open the door, Dissassemle the latch and have a fabricator carve you anew striker bolt out of STEEL instad off the cheap (Term deleted by poster) Tri-Mark used.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Had to break a window

Our door locked us out which forced us to break a window to get in. Both sets were inside and every access was locked. It was late evening on a week end. Engine running as we were just arriving home after a long trip. We felt no choice. Even with insurance we had a 1500.00 repair bill and a 200.00 copay.
We've fixed it as you saw in my last thread and learned to never lock the drivers door or have keys outside the rig at all times. Lots of lessons learned including what window to never break for a future similar scenario. (The sliding passenger glass in the trio window across from the driver). It requires all three windows to replace and insert the one that's broken. Sad...very sad at the time. It took 2.5 months from claim to completion.
Tip47 is offline   Reply With Quote