Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Entry door handle

My entry door handle light does not work. Anyone have any ideas?? 2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

does the handle move ? or is it stuck?
does it pull up only ? remove the screws in the corners of the inside plate and look inside to see whats missing or broke.
usually,, if the inside lock is on, and someone forces the handle, it brakes the innerds.... oops !... Maybe a simple roll pin replacement, or worse, might need some lock innerds.
be creative. some time a nail works as a roll pin.. 8-)
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
My entry door handle light does not work. Anyone have any ideas?? 2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD.
FWIW, Mine has NEVER lit up, even though it "appears" to be the type that "should". You can see the white vertical "lines" that normally carry the light thru the plexi - but no joy. I assumed the lighted handle was only lighted on more expensive models.

If anyone has an Adventurer or Suncruiser with a lighted door handle, please tell us how to get it functioning .
Ed
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The light in mine burned out last year. I took the handle off and found a common type bulb inside the top bracket. SInce we have an LED porchlight , and the grab handle light comes on with The porch light, I decided I wanted an LED replacement. After some searching I found an LED replacement at Flying J.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

JBroadway,
First off, did it EVER work since you've owned the rig? If it did, then you know it SHOULD light up. If it didn't, then it's possible that it may have never gotten wired or, the bulb is simply burnt out. I've not had ours apart to find out where and how the wiring is routed into it but, others have and have chimed in or, will chime in with the instructions on how to trouble shoot this problem. Mine, like many others, turns on with the porch light. I'd like to separate it to a seperate switch so I can just have the lighted handle on at times. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

Does your porch light work? I would assume that your model of coach, year, make and model would have a lighted handle so, it's either a wire fell off, bulb burnt out or, most like NOT the reason, it was not wired.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Like EdGray said...not all clear entry door assist handles came from the factory wired to glow...but I too, want mine to light-up and here's a post from someone who did the upgrade:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
The first use for the new switch bank was adding LED light to entry assist handle. These are special LEDs, nearly 3/8 inch wide. Search Ebay for “20 X 10mm LED PRE WIRED WIDE VIEW ANGLE WHITE 12V DC
Remove handle and using a long ¼ inch drill bit VERY carefully drill hole from bottom center of handle at an angle into kitchen sink cabinet. First mount LED in short piece of 1/2" cpvc using caulk thrn mount assembly near base of clear plastic bar and wire to one of the new switches. Cost: Under $2.00 and about two hours when done in conjuction with new switch bank

See here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/damo...-106125-2.html
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

oops!. got excited when I saw broken handle, thought I found one I could help with..
sorry.. I missed the word "light".. ( it was late and no lights were on ) ;-)
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

door handle

Winnebago responded to my email and informed me that the door handle was not designed to light even though it looks like it should. Doesn't make total sense to me but I guess they should know.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Winnebago responded to my email and informed me that the door handle was not designed to light even though it looks like it should. Doesn't make total sense to me but I guess they should know.
JBroadway,
I'm assuming that they (Winnebago) were referring to YOURS and not all of the handles that have a clear handle like that, correct? Because like I stated earlier, some were and some weren't and, as has been posted, theres some boys out there that have made their non-lighted handles light up with not very much work. With a tad bit of research, you most likely could find quite a few of them that have done it.
Scott
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I dont believe any late model Winnies have lighted handles.
We modified our 2007 Adventerer. It was a bit scary drilling blind through the wall, but it worked out OK. I have a bulb for our Journey, but dont yet have the 'courage' to drill through. Someday...
Lighted handles are cool.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Entry door handle light

Thanks for the responses. I also think lighted door handles are "cool" but may just forget it. I also don't like drilling into a blind area.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I also think lighted door handles are "cool" but may just forget it. I also don't like drilling into a blind area.
J,
Don't give up so quickly. If you do a search both on here and RV.net, you'll find many that have made their handles light up and it's an easy project. The hardest part for about 95% of them is, finding 12V near the handle for switched power. Once you have that part figured out, the drilling, and adapting and setup of the bulb(s) is kids play. You can do it.

I just drilled right though the side of our coach for running power for the LED awning lights I recently installed. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Talk about cool lights, those are insanely cool, dimmable to full brightness and you can read a book at midnight if you want or, dim them way down for you and the Mrs.
Scott

Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The door handle on my 2009 Adventurer did not light when I bought the unit. I removed the handle and found it was never wired for a light although it sure looked like it should be a lighted handle.
LEHAFER
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I just drilled mine. Not hard at all, just a slight angle to get into the back of the cabinet with all the switches. Now I have to figure out how to wire it?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Our last RV had the lighted handle. Ours , after a few years had hairline cracks ( crazing )in the clear plastic from the constant exposure to sunlight and weather...this MH has a solid handle with a rubber grip.....like it much better..

Tags
door