Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have been having trouble getting my entry door to latch completely when shutting. I have had to slam the door in order to get the second latch to catch. I called Winnebago, talked to a technician and was able to adjust the shaft that the latch grabs in less than one minute. Now the door shuts properly with just the slightest effort. I can't believe I put up with that door for so long when the solution was so simple.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have been having trouble getting my entry door to latch completely when shutting. I have had to slam the door in order to get the second latch to catch. I called Winnebago, talked to a technician and was able to adjust the shaft that the latch grabs in less than one minute. Now the door shuts properly with just the slightest effort. I can't believe I put up with that door for so long when the solution was so simple.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Whoa.....we've had the same thing happening. Would you care to elaborate so the rest of us can fix it?! We'd be most appreciative!!

Rose
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Be glad to share what fixed mine, I hope it does the same for you. The shaft that the latch catches had a groove worn in the top. I took a wrench (5/8") and loosened the shaft about a half turn. Then I used a screw driver and hammer to tap the shaft down about an eighth of an inch and also toward the outside of the motor home. Tightening the shaft in its new position was the final step. I do think I will order a new shaft because of the groove worn in it, but it is working perfectly now.

Robert

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #5

Actually, you can get a nylon coated "shaft" so your door wont squeek....I believe they started coming standard on the '05 and up models.

Call Lichsinn motors...they can get one for you
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The nylon coated shaft works fine for a few hundred miles and then the latch wears down the nylon on the latch shaft and squeaking starts again. I now just wrap a couple of turns of electrical tape around the latch shaft and the squeaking dissappears for a while.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had the same experience with the nylon on the shaft. Went to electrical tape also, just have to re-wrap the shaft before each trip. I think part of the trouble is, the door continues to sag downward but the shaft won't adjust down far enough to keep the latch from actually riding on the top of the shaft, which I don't think it is supposed to do. Anyway I can't get the shaft to drop down any lower than it currently is. The top of the shaft is where the electrical tape always wears through.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have had the latch problem also. Same thing always hanging on top of pin. I used teflon pipe tape to wrap mine. It worked well for several weeks, then would have to be replaced. However, after Winnebago put the new body on mine, they also replaced the entry door and I have had no problems with this new installation.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I wrapped mine with velcro and it has lasted for almost a year without wearing out or squeaking