Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Entrance Steps Switch Disconnect

It looks like the entrance step motor and controller have recently been replaced and the steps don't disengage when I flip the switch of off. I've looked at the 12v wiring diagram on the Winnebago website for my coach, but it's not clear how that switch is wired to the step motor.

Has anyone had this problem or know anything about the wiring on these steps?
South Florida https://knotatsea.blogspot.com
brenthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What step brand ? KwiKee?
What position are you trying to get the steps to stop in ? The switch is to over ride the door switch, so the steps stay ; out ; regardless of door opening and closing, when you are in a site.
The step controller, will still retract the steps , when the ignition is turned on with the door closed. If the switch is turned off , with the steps retracted and the door is closed, the controller will extend the steps ; for safety reasons ; when the door is opened.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
What step brand ? KwiKee?
What position are you trying to get the steps to stop in ? The switch is to over ride the door switch, so the steps stay ; out ; regardless of door opening and closing, when you are in a site.
The step controller, will still retract the steps , when the ignition is turned on with the door closed. If the switch is turned off , with the steps retracted and the door is closed, the controller will extend the steps ; for safety reasons ; when the door is opened.
Hey Skip,

I'm sure it's a Kwikee. My steps open and retract with the door opening and closing no matter what position my step switch is set to. I haven't tried testing the ignition switch safety feature yet. I'm going over to the RV today and do some more troubleshooting with a volt meter to see if the step switch has any power to it.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Do you have the owners manual ?
If it's KwiKee and you don't have one , it'll be available as a download here.

Kwikee Steps - Power Gear
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

brenthg, when the motor and controller ware replaced they may have wired the white wire from the control directly to 12VDC and not the power switch. The white wire from the controller should be connect to the purple wire number ES.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step wiring.jpg
Views:	6512
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	101213  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
brenthg, when the motor and controller ware replaced they may have wired the white wire from the control directly to 12VDC and not the power switch. The white wire from the controller should be connect to the purple wire number ES.
Today I looked at the wiring under the steps and saw a purple wire and fuse holder coming out of the Kwikee control box, but it wasn't connected to anything. The white wire coming out of the control box is a part of the 4 way plug connector with red, yellow and brown wires. Where do I connect the purple wire with fuse holder?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The purple wire from the step controller is for an option step light.

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Can you tell were the white wire in the four pin plug connects to?

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Entrance Step Disconnect Switch

Quote:
Can you tell were the white wire in the four pin plug connects to?

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
I need to look behind the breaker panel under the steps. The wiring diagram above shows a fuse in that white wire circuit.

So if the fuse is blown, that means that circuit is open. Do I understand correctly that the switch should be ON to lock the steps open and keep them from retracting when the door is closed?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthg View Post
I need to look behind the breaker panel under the steps. The wiring diagram above shows a fuse in that white wire circuit.

So if the fuse is blown, that means that circuit is open. Do I understand correctly that the switch should be ON to lock the steps open and keep them from retracting when the door is closed?
See attached test procedures for checking to see if step switch wiring is correct. So based on the diagram, if there's a fuse/breaker in the white wire circuit and it's blown, the white wire will read 0 volts and that would be automatic mode. There has to be a fuse or breaker that won't provide 12 volts to that circuit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step Testing.pdf (317.6 KB, 387 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthg View Post
See attached test procedures for checking to see if step switch wiring is correct. So based on the diagram, if there's a fuse/breaker in the white wire circuit and it's blown, the white wire will read 0 volts and that would be automatic mode. There has to be a fuse or breaker that won't provide 12 volts to that circuit.
Well, I tested the white wire on the 4 way plug on the coach side and it read 0 volts with switch on or off. I can't find a fuse or breaker anywhere on the white wire circuit. I'm about to give up and just unplug the power to the step motor when we're parked.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Just don't forget to re-connect , before you leave ( Note on steering wheel !) .
So far , I've found fuses in 10 different locations in my coach, 4 for chassis, Freightliner , and 6 from Newmar. The steps have a 12v C/B and a fuse in the power cable bay that's about as far from the steps as you can get in my RV.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Just don't forget to re-connect , before you leave ( Note on steering wheel !) .
So far , I've found fuses in 10 different locations in my coach, 4 for chassis, Freightliner , and 6 from Newmar. The steps have a 12v C/B and a fuse in the power cable bay that's about as far from the steps as you can get in my RV.
I just thought of an idea to test the step lockout. I'm going to run a jumper wire directly from the chassis battery to the switch and see if it activates the step lockout circuit.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Step Disconnect Switch

Well, after studying all the wiring diagrams on Winnebago's website and following the circuit that the disconnect switch is on, I don't understand why there isn't 12 volts in that wire. This wire is in the harness with all the other wires that carries 12 volts, getting power from the house battery, going from plug to plug.

I'm about to consider running a separate circuit directly from the battery to the switch. Kwikee troubleshooting says if you put 12 volts through the white wire that goes into the control box under the steps, it will keep the steps extended even when the door is closed. After testing that theory, I will install a 6amp fuse on that hot wire.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

brenthg, attached is a scissor cad drawing of the step disable switch circuit hope it helps.
Do you have power at the switch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elect Step off switch.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	102076  
Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Brent:

On Rv's older than about 2005 (we had an 02 Georgetown), there's usually a switch on a panel at the top of the inside steps that disables the step motor when extended after you ran them out at your campsite and when they're fully retracted.

On newer RV's, the safety nerds decided that the risk of someone being injured when stepping out without verifying the steps were extended, was unacceptable. The "door open = steps extended" was made basic, retaining the option to disconnect the power when extended. The steps would still retract with ignition "On" to prevent driving away with them extended.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
brenthg, attached is a scissor cad drawing of the step disable switch circuit hope it helps.
Thanks Grant, I have that same drawing. I tested that circuit and there isn't 12 volts on that wire and there should be.

Also, that drawing shows purple wires in and out of the switch, but mine are yellow.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Entrance Step Switch Disconnect

Quote:
Grant, thanks again for pasting the appropriate wiring sheets together and marking the circuit from the 6amp breaker to the step motor harness. Now it makes sense to me to test the voltage at the breaker. I will test both sides of the breaker and see if it's working...headed over to the RV this afternoon to check it out.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I checked the voltage at the breaker and there's 12v, but not at the switch. There seems to be a break in the circuit somewhere between the breaker and the switch.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
my 99 mh has had intermittent step operation for ever. during the last episode i found that the control module never sent a reversing voltage to the motor. It would send battery voltage to the motor for a few seconds but only to extend the step which is were they were. I finally had it with this garbage design and went to radio shack to purchase my manual momentary double throw double pole switch for less than 7 Bucks. I CUT THE WIRES TO THIS STUPID STEP CONTROLLER.

Mounted a box on the left inside wall of door and ran four conductor wire to the motor and picked up the 12 volts of a live wire, purple, to feed the switch. Now when open the door if the step is in all I do is push the switch down and the steps go out. they stay out until I push the switch up. Then they go in.

what a pleasure to use my steps now knowing I HAVE CONTROL OVER THEM - NOT THEM OVER ME. NEVER GO BACK NEVER GO BACK NEVER GO BACK.

Tags
steps