Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Update on our latch. There is indeed a plastic cap on the outside edge of the door for adjustment. Square one on our case. Wasn't the problem though. The screen door latch was catching. It appears that the catch on the main door that hold the screen door to it and pulls open the latch had moved slightly making just enough of the (screen door) latch hang up on the door frame. We are lucky we did not break the plastic latch before discovering the problem.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Update on our latch. There is indeed a plastic cap on the outside edge of the door for adjustment. Square one on our case. Wasn't the problem though. The screen door latch was catching. It appears that the catch on the main door that hold the screen door to it and pulls open the latch had moved slightly making just enough of the (screen door) latch hang up on the door frame. We are lucky we did not break the plastic latch before discovering the problem.
I've had this happen to me, too. It's one of those things you learn to check every now and then once it happens to you.
Jerry_Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Very helpful thread. Our stuck door turned out to be the the screen latch as mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the help.

I must say that I was not able to get a socket in the hole to adjust the main door latch. Before reading about the screen latch I was attempting to make the adjustment mentioned early in the thread. Any socket large enough for the recessed nut is too wide for the access hole. Any suggestions? Are there thin wall sockets?
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Very helpful thread. Our stuck door turned out to be the the screen latch as mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the help.

I must say that I was not able to get a socket in the hole to adjust the main door latch. Before reading about the screen latch I was attempting to make the adjustment mentioned early in the thread. Any socket large enough for the recessed nut is too wide for the access hole. Any suggestions? Are there thin wall sockets?
I believe that there are thin-wall sockets. I found that I had a nutdriver which just fit through the hole. Another option would be to enlarge the hole a bit.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Even though it turned out not to be what was wrong I used a long socket. The regular ones with a nut driver handle fit from my Craftsman set but could be pulled off the driver when trying to remove it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post

I used a quarter-inch drive deep socket. It went in just fine.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

On RV.net, we've got a long thread on this very topic with lots of photos. See RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Can't Open MH Door - Fixed
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Yes there are. When I had to make the adjustment I looked all over for the proper socket and found it at NAPA. It was a 7/16", long socket.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Keller View Post
On RV.net, we've got a long thread on this very topic with lots of photos. See RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Can't Open MH Door - Fixed
We've gone full circle (and then some). The discussion on that thread originally referred to my pictures on THIS thread as the source of his fix. He then posted his pictures of the fix he did following this thread, to which I added some follow up to that thread.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
We've gone full circle (and then some). The discussion on that thread originally referred to my pictures on THIS thread as the source of his fix. He then posted his pictures of the fix he did following this thread, to which I added some follow up to that thread.

AND, hopefully, that information will always be available to be found.