Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Engine swap

Hello to everyone. I would like to get into the RV thing and was looking at getting an older (1973-1976) Winnebago. I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the gas engine with a diesel engine in one of these older Winnebago's?

Does anyone have any diesel engine suggestions. I currently have a Dodge Ram with a Cummins and was thinking of using a Cummins for the swap. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Jobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I saw a Cat 3208 in one on another site and someone here put a Cummins in a Pace Arrow.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

:welcome:
The Cummins ISB engine weighs about 1,020 pounds dry; the 6.7 engine weighs about 1,144 pounds dry. That would be the main concern with using this engine in any swap. If your front axle is rated to accept the weight increase, there are engine-to-transmission adapters for almost any application available. Cummins makes a 4 cylinder diesel engine that is used in delivery vans that is not as heavy, nor as powerful.
A big-block gas engine weighs about 700 pounds. For what it's worth, there are several gas engines today that would be a good choice too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If you switch to a diesel engine and fill your tank with diesel how will you provide fuel for your gasoline powered generator? Just another thing to consider.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If you have a bigblock chev as many winnys did back then, a 5.9L (6BT) Cummins wouldn't be all that much heavier.
about what is the weight of the RV now??
The 4cyl (4BT)cummins is also a very good one for pickups. this engine has the guts to pull bread truck and UPS trucks so don't let the 3.9L diplacment fool you it really can work.
The BT serries would be the simplest to do a swap becasue they are pure mechanical injection.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you have no experience with rv's or engine swaps don't go there. The Cummins is longer than the gas V-8 and space is tight. The chassis was never designed for the additional weight, adequate cooling will be an issue and the electronic nightmare will drive a southern Baptist to serious drinking.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FWIW - I'm a retired mechanic with 45 years experience and way too many dollars invested in tools. I used to do gas to gas engine swaps, but I would never do swaps between gas & diesel. Fuel system changes and no vacuum supply for the brake power booster are just a few of the problems.

IMO, better to just buy a unit that already has diesel power if that's important to you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Engine swap

I would like to thank everyone for the great feed back. If I do push ahead on this project, I will take plenty of photos and keep you posted.
Jobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #9

I have been spinning wrenchs for over 70 years. had my own auto repair shop in the 50s..
I put a streight 8 into a dodge that had a 6 in it. the long and short of it is anything is possable // just not pracital. that motorhome more then likely has a mopar 318 in it. for running. and performance, altho that is the old style It is a fine engine. They are not uncommon to go for 15000. miles average RV yearly mileage is about 8000 miles; If you put more then that you need a Corveat;; At 8000 miles per yaer that is neer 20 years of owner ship;;. Average motorhome ownership is about 7 years. Do the numbers; Some things don't make scense;;life is good if we stay on the road, and don't drive in the Ditch;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote