Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Engine Idle Problem

Just pulled the Motorhome out of storage to dump water tank and refill. When I cranked it up the engine is running very rough while in idle. Drive it around the storage facility and it obvious that engine is not running smoothly. Did no want to get it in the road until I could take it somewhere to have it looked at. The last trip we were was July 4th and we were 5 hours away in Savannah. Everything was running great when we got home. The gauge says 3/4 tank of fuel. We were 150 miles from home when we filled up so I don't think it is bad fuel.

As I have posted many times I don't have much knowledge if engines so if anyone has suggestion I would love to hear them.

Oh, it is a 2000 model 300 hp Cat.
Thanks

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Without hearing your rough run , I can't be sure, but with what you describe , I'll put money on bad fuel , changing the filters and cutting the old filters open would be the first and cheapest step, to checking your problem out.
If contaminants entered the tank at the fill up, it would have taken the 150 miles for enough fuel to go through the filters to plug them. Possible that the contaminants just needed the month long shut down to grow in the filters & tank.
There is a return line pressure valve at the back of the cylinder head , but problems with that usually result in no start, no power condition.

The alternative ; well you don't want to hear; HEUI pump failure.
Read about this in the Cat engine section of the power train forums.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your response. I just spoke with a repair shop I have used in the past. They are completely full. He suggested starting it and letting it idle for 45 minutes or so and see if it clears up.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Update to my original post. I did as the guy at the RV center suggested and cranked it up and let it run. After about 10 minutes the engine leveled out and began running smoothly. The Tachometer returned to normal and all seems fine. I am not going to tempt the RV gods though. Going to get in ASAP to replace fuel filter.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Fast idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
Update to my original post. I did as the guy at the RV center suggested and cranked it up and let it run. After about 10 minutes the engine leveled out and began running smoothly. The Tachometer returned to normal and all seems fine. I am not going to tempt the RV gods though. Going to get in ASAP to replace fuel filter.
I had the same Coach for 13 years and it was a great rig. Did anyone show you how to put it on fast idle? after starting the engine, On the turn signal you push the cruise control botton in and pull the set slide and release it and the engine runs at fast speed to build up air faster.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

I had the same Coach for 13 years and it was a great rig. Did anyone show you how to put it on fast idle? after starting the engine, On the turn signal you push the cruise control botton in and pull the set slide and release it and the engine runs at fast speed to build up air faster.
Thank you for this information. I never knew about this. I will go back and try it. I am the second owner of this coach, but never saw anything about it in the owners manual. Any other tips?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
Thank you for this information. I never knew about this. I will go back and try it. I am the second owner of this coach, but never saw anything about it in the owners manual. Any other tips?
For more info on how your fuel system operates go to
Free books and manuals - GoBookee.net

Look for the free download
Caterpillar 3126B HEUI Engines-The faces of the Zoo Crew

The fact that you problem cleared up as the engine oil heated up , may indicate that it's time for an oil change. Cat. HEUI engines need clean oil to survive.