Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine doghouse

I can't figure out how to get the engine doghouse cover off on my 2004 Adventurer. Called Winnebago and the guy said remove a hex head screw at rear and 2 bolts at front. I found the 2 bolts at the front but can't find the hex head. Anybody know how the thing comes off? Thanks.
GAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You'll have to "feel around" for the hex head wrench insert location. It's hidden in your carpeting on top of the dog house in the center and on the far side from the front of your motorhome. The hex wrench you use to open it is large so if you rub your fingers on the carpet you should be able to find the hole the wrench goes into. If I remember correctly it's not a hex screw, but rather just a latch that a hex head wrench fits into and is turned to release the cover.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Gavery, if the doghouse has never been removed, you will also have to locate and remove a few screws, that are located in the front of the DH, near the seperation line.. Tough to find, scraping across the carpet with somehing like a putty knife will help ypu. Also, if you will do a search, you will find out alot about the job...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's not a hex head screw but is a latch with a hex recess that an allen wrench fits into. It takes a quarter or maybe a half turn to unlatch it.
Here is a picture of mine with a marker stuck in the recess.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Clay,
Thanks for that great picture-Iwill look in that area. The Winnebago tech rep on the phone had me looking at the very back of the rim of the cover and I can't see anything but carpet. I'm not looking anywhere close to where your picture shows it. Thanks again.
Glen
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Gavery, the latch Clay refered you to is the main hold down, and must be released, HOWEVER, as I mentioned earlier, unless someone has removed and discarded them, there are some screws located near the front edge of the cover that also must be removed. You will not find them by just looking, you have to scrape something over the area to feel them...rgr...
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I believe Gavery has already removed the screws at the front of the cover.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I believe Gavery has already removed the screws at the front of the cover.

Easy, I think you are right, I re read his post early this am, and came to that conclusion too... My Bad...rgr...
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The hex or allen wrench referred to is 5/16" You might find the Winnebago supplied wrench in the black bag
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the help-Clay's picture did the trick. I never would have looked in that area without it. Now if I can just figure out what is blowing the 20 amp fuse for the brake lights. Getting ready for a weekend trip and discovered I had no brake lights. Changed brake light switch on brake pedal but didn't help. Cruise control does not work either-feel sure the problems are related. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

As far as the brake light fuse is concerned I would check the trailer hitch socket at the rear of the coach. We had the same problem and discovered it wasn't sealed at the rear where the wires enter. Water had gotten in and shorted several of the wires togrther. It would do strange things like turn on the back camera and monitor when you stepped on the brakes. Allow only one brake light to function, and keep showing NC (no connection) when we were towing a trailer with electric brakes.

Finally it blew the fuse. When I disassembled it everything inside was either rusted or corroded. I replaced the socket with a new one and sealed it. It's been several years and we've not had any more problems