Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I followed the direction provide in my '03 Brave Operator Manual, but still can't get the engine cover off. The Problem is that after removing the "Beverage Tray/Drawer" and unlatching the hold down with the Allen wrench provided, the cover will not come free at the dash (front end). The instruction said that after remove the "Drawer" you need to remove "Wing Nuts" to dismount the "Beverage Tray". However, there are no wing nuts only four counter sunk Phillips head screws that secure the "Drawer/Beverage Tray" to the engine cover. After removing these screws the D/BT is no longer mounted to the engine cover. Since I need to access the air cleaner to install a new air filter the cover has to be removed. I'm I missing something?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I followed the direction provide in my '03 Brave Operator Manual, but still can't get the engine cover off. The Problem is that after removing the "Beverage Tray/Drawer" and unlatching the hold down with the Allen wrench provided, the cover will not come free at the dash (front end). The instruction said that after remove the "Drawer" you need to remove "Wing Nuts" to dismount the "Beverage Tray". However, there are no wing nuts only four counter sunk Phillips head screws that secure the "Drawer/Beverage Tray" to the engine cover. After removing these screws the D/BT is no longer mounted to the engine cover. Since I need to access the air cleaner to install a new air filter the cover has to be removed. I'm I missing something?

2004 CR-V EX
Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

my understanding is there are 2 screws that are put in at factory.i think they are near the front(same side as allen screw). i see you are from summerville, we are down the road in moncks corner. good luck
Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yea, your missing the screws that are located across the front edge of the cover. They aren't in every coach, and dont seem to be in a std. location. My 04 bago had 3, phillips head, all about an inch back from the dash, one in the top center, and one on each side about 1.5 inches up from the floor. They can be really hard to find, most are buried pretty deeply in the carpet.. I located mine with a large screwdriver blade, pulled hard across that area of the cover.. Others have used a magnet to locate, but that didnt work on mine. Dont need to be reinstalled BTW ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem it took me 2 hours and 4 calls to Winnebago, found 2 screws at the front by the floor on the doghouse; they are hard to find.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I talk to Winnebago Tech support. They admitted the manual is wrong. There are no wingnuts. They also did not mention the screws at the forward part of the engine cover. I tried as best I could and I could not find place to put the allen wrench to loosen the hold down.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Pete B: look hard for a small hole it is hard to find.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have tried everything I can think of and can't locate any additional screws. Thanks all for the feedback. Pete B attached are two JPG's showing the location of the hole for the Allen wrench. Again Winnie's illustration does not show it in the correct position. That's all I can take tonight, I will start again in the morning.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 03-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Geeche, I "almost" guarantee they are in there. As you loosen the latch with the allen, if you gently lift the back of the cover, you can feel that its still attached..Yours has been down for a long time, and it is probably going to "stick down" even after all the attachments are out..What bothers me about their presence, is that it shows that the PDI guys didn't spend any time under the cover checking for leaks, etc. etc.. rgr..
Old 03-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had a hard time finding mine too. There are two screws, one on each side about 3 to 5 inches up from the floor. If you can pick up the back of the cover a little you can narrow it down to where the cover appears to swivels. If you have a small magnet you may be able to find the head of the screw. They are buryed in the carpet.
Good luck
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Geeche, re reading your post, are you sure your a/c element is under the cover. My Advent, 2004, W 20 's a/c is in the right front wheel well, forward of the tire...rgr..
Old 03-12-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I couldn't find the allen wrench release until I asked the dealer. He showed me where they hid it and mentioned that the front screws are also well hidden in the carpet. The Winne book seems to cover Workhorse and doesn't say much about my Ford. After consideration, I wonder why I would need to get under the dog house since it looks like the air filter can be extracked from under the hood on this 2005 voyage model.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I used to have the same coach, '03 34D. I didn't have any problem removing the engine cover. I don't remember any screws or bolts other than the allen wrench release.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

As has been stated there are screws in the cover. After releasing the allen wrench catch the screws are to the forward end of the cover the allen wrench catch being in the rear. NOW, this is true if the cover has never been removed before. If it has been removed then the screws won't be there.
As also suggested lift the allen wrench catch end of the cover and you should be able to tell where the screws are holding it.
This statement is true if every thing is NORMAL in your coaches build.
Many times there is nothing NORMAL in our coaches from Winnie..Good Luck and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
RET
Winnebago Camper

I am a new owner of a 2004 34D Brave. I found the allen screw to loosen the rear of the engine cover but have not been able to find the front ones. Am I looking for 2 more recessed allen screws or 2 phillips head screws. Does the fact that they are attached mean that this cover has not been removed in 4 yrs? Thats SCARY....Please help me
RET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RET:
I am a new owner of a 2004 34D Brave. I found the allen screw to loosen the rear of the engine cover but have not been able to find the front ones. Am I looking for 2 more recessed allen screws or 2 phillips head screws. Does the fact that they are attached mean that this cover has not been removed in 4 yrs? Thats SCARY....Please help me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It probably hasn't been off since new.

The best way to find these two screws is to take a flashlight and a small pick or screwdriver and dig around in the carpet.
You'll find the screws in the lower right and left hand corners on the very front down on each side. They look like machine screws with a phillips head (mine looked a little like a sheet rock screw). Pick around about 1/2" back from the very front and about 1-2" up from the bottom of the cover. This job for me was complicated by the fact that I quit drinking beer about 12 years ago and so I had to "go in" stone sober. THAT WAS UGLY.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

How about using a magnet or a stud finder (I don't get good readings with these, it always points to me ) But seriously, the screws look to be ferrous so it might work...I don't have a magnet here or I'd try it for you. Steve
Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

This subject came up a few weeks ago. I answered, pointing to the location. I had a devil of a time finding the screws. However the clever guy who had asked the question had a real simple solution. He just pulled the corners of carpet away from the doghouse and found the screws in short order. I wish I'd thought of that. It would be easy enough to glue the carpet back on after removing the screws. After removing the screw, I threw them away because one of them had drilled part way into the heater hose, causing a small leak in the cooling system. The screws were self-drilling sheet metal screws about 1-1/2" long, philips head.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Note my signature coach. The cover did not have the screws so I figured someone had the cover off before I bought the coach.

On mine the air filter is located underneath in front of the passenger side front tire. It is a panel type filter and is easily removed for service, you only need to lay on the ground
I replaced with a NAPA 6316 filter and they charged me $19.42. The list was $49.99.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
RET
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your quick response. I went out to the coach armed with a flashlight and phillips screw driver and found the hidden screws. I removed them and because it was late, I have not yet removed the cover. I feel rather foolish not having inspected the engine before purchase.I hope there are no surprises...
RET is offline   Reply With Quote