Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

After a recent service call on our 32v Adventurer, I noticed the engine cover not seating properly with the right-hand,top of cover not seating against stops. Any one had any experience with adjusting this cover? I was told that it is difficult.

Jan & Don Stafford
2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
2003 Saturn toad

2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

After a recent service call on our 32v Adventurer, I noticed the engine cover not seating properly with the right-hand,top of cover not seating against stops. Any one had any experience with adjusting this cover? I was told that it is difficult.

Jan & Don Stafford
2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
2003 Saturn toad

2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
Old 12-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There have been a few posts about people removing and replacing these with no major difficulties. I believe there are a couple of screws in the rear of it that you need to loosen first. If you have coffee, I have a crowbar

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Full timing part-time in the Sunny Arizona Desert
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR. KOA, etc

Never Loose Your Temper. If Your Head Becomes Separated From Your Neck, It's Over!
Old 12-20-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ghost- thanks for the reply. I think I messed up on this post by calling my problem "engine cover"; I meant the hood, front cover. Sorry bout that

Jan & Don Stafford
2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
2003 Saturn toad

2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
Old 12-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

On my 99 Adventurer, it is easy to get out of allignment if you force it in any way..Mine was not straight along the top. A little bending thisaway and thataway put mine back straight and even all aroung. Finesse is the word when opening and closing. Happy Holidays and Happy Trails...

ichn2go
99 35C Adventurer V10
20500# Chassis
1 Beautiful Wife
2 Beautiful Dogs
NO TOAD
"It all depends on who you talk too."
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Actually, my front access cover (hood) wouldn't latch properly on the pass. side when we first got our rig.

The latch plate or mount bracket at the bottom was slightly bent. I straightened it out a bit and used some WD-40 on the linkages, hinges, latches, etc. Just like ichn2go said, it does take a little care and finesse to open and close properly. I've found I have to hold the release handles when closing the cover and push them to the closed position for proper latching. It's all a matter of getting used to the little idiosynchrasies. That's no big deal to me and half the fun.

Jim Wathen
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U, Opal Blue Metallic.
Workhorse W22 chassis w/19.5" tires.
8100 VORTEC V-8, Allison 5-Speed.
'97 Saturn SL2 toad.(Well, almost.)
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by janny:
Ghost- thanks for the reply. I think I messed up on this post by calling my problem "engine cover"; I meant the hood, front cover. Sorry bout that

Jan & Don Stafford
2002 Adventurer 32V Ford
2003 Saturn toad <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh - no problem. I have a larger crowbar for problems of this magnitude!

Hey FYI - scroll down to the Four Corners Region section of IRV2, bunch of us are planning a camp out next month or February, something like that.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Full timing part-time in the Sunny Arizona Desert
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR. KOA, etc

Never Loose Your Temper. If Your Head Becomes Separated From Your Neck, It's Over!
Old 12-21-2003, 05:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The front access cover on my 03Itasca 33V works well but has never fit right. It sticks out at the top. The factory reps at WIT state rally last March were unable to adjust it and even elongating the holes in the brackets made only a very slight difference. It is just a bad bracket design or a problem with manufaturing tolerances.

Rich & Kathy Bock
2003 Itasca 33V w/Ford chassis
Ford Ranger toad
Shae Ling the wonder cat
Old 12-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem on our 38G when we picked it up. The dealer's techs worked on it three times but it would still get out of alignment. I wound up bending the bracket slightly and putting nylon stop-nuts on the screws to keep them tight. It takes a lot of patience to get it adjusted properly but it has held for 6 months now so I'm calling it fixed. I agree that it's a very poor design but a minor headache at worst.

JB

'03 Winnebago 38G W22
'00 Honda CRV W/BB
One Weiner Dog named Schatzi

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #10

I dropped my hood yesterday to check fluids, and it wouldn't close properly. It would drop down to rest firmly against the lower edge of the opening, and the top edge, of course, had a corresponding gap at the top.

After attempting unsuccessfully to adjust the hinge brackets with the hood in place, I removed it from the brackets, and made some adjustments. Seems no matter what I do, I cannot get the hood to center properly in the opening.

Right now I have a face towel stuffed under the lower edge of the hood, and will see if I can get some assistance at a WIT campout this weekend.

Just another brilliant design that we have to figure a way around.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #11

Got my cover (hood) fixed. I took a look at another Brave while at a WIT campout this weekend, and adjusted my brackets to match that one. Still took a bit of horizontal "push" to make it center in the opening, and once I did that it fit like the proverbial glove.

There are two adjustments on each corner bracket. The nuts are located on the inside of the bracket, making it difficult to get a wrench and hand inside.

I loosened one side, slide the top part of the bracket as far to the back (in direction of engine), and the lower part all the way to the front (towards the grill). Did the same thing to the other side.

Then, I loosened the four nuts holding the cover to the frame, and dropped them all the way to the bottom of the slots.

Sorta confusing to describe, but taking a look at the hood on your coach will be helpful in "translating."
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote