Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine compartment hatch cover (hood?) adjustment

Hi all,

On my 05 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, the engine compartment hood does not close properly. It seems to be too low with a wide gap at top where it stands away from the front cap

There seem to be a myriad of adjustment points that I am having trouble figuring out. Has anyone compiled an info sheet to help me determine which bolt/screw/nut I should be messing with? Alternatively, can someone point me in the right direction?

I hate to start moving these things around randomly without knowing what I am doing

Thanks,

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Preston ...check to be sure the fiberglass is not coming loose from the metal frame ...the fiberglass is glued to the metal with a two-part expoxy. Many of these access doors have come loose and/or completely fallen off. It could be that yours is loose from the metal, OR that when it was glued on it was not properly aligned or something got between the fiberglass and the metal frame.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
I hate to start moving these things around randomly without knowing what I am doing...
Preston, I have worked on several and I can't tell you how to do it. It's a hands on type of thing using a lot of trial and error and intuition before the screws are moved or tightened. I have gotten the hoods close however sometimes the hood mechanism gets bent and it's never easy.

What I use as a benchmark are the old fastner marks on the metal. If the fastners have moved I would restore them to thier original position and then fine tune from there.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your replies.

The metal frame is well bonded to the fiberglass so that part of the problem is ruled out.

I sorta jumped into this with both feet and I have moved things so often I can not see the original marks - shoulda scribed the outlines before touching a wrench. I am almost positive that there are only two bolts on each hinge that can be adjusted and two bolts on each hinge to hold the panel in place.

I guess every coach has a different hinge and adjustment arrangement.

After many many tries I have almost got the paint stripes lined up in the closed position - problem is the top of the hood stands about 1 inch proud of the front panel

I see no evidence of bends but I am at the point where some metal bending may be required - of course this is a last resort -

I will take some pics and if I can figure out how to include them in my message I will send them for all to see

I am almost positive that the hood will beat itself to death if I can not get it back in its proper position

Thanks for your help

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have been trying to adjust mine also since I got it two years ago. It seems to be the same as yours as far as having an open gap at the top. I sure hope you find a solution since I have beat myself up for not being able to find a fix. Keep us informed of your trials. Thanks
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have this issue with my 04 Adventurer. Took a stab at it and made it worse. My has to go into the dealer for a jack issue and they are going to look at the hood. This is what I tried so far.

I had removed the hood and adjusted the hinge. Too hard to do with hood on. I test fitted the hood and it seemed better. I installed the hood and it was still off. I removed the grille so I could get my hand up in there and loosen the bolts and then have someone press the hood flat and then tighten the bolts. Getting you hands up in there isn't easy and there are some sharp objects in there. This didn't work as well.

I might try one more time before it goes to the dealer. I think the hood latches are causing the hood to tilt out at the top. I'm going to take the hood latch catches off. Then close the hood and loosen the bolts and adjust hood flat. Then install the hood latches and bring them up till they just catch on closing. In my case I think the hood when closed is sitting on top the latches to high. Causing the hood to tilt out at the top.
cef2lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 Brave has a hood that has its own alignment, terrible.

It is always a trial and error adjustment and hope for the best. About a year ago I removed the fiberglass and then elongated all the adjustment slots, this allowed for greater adjustment and I finally got something satisfactory. This has since moved and now the top right is open again.
I guess the movement over the road vibrates it and causes the movement, I also think at times the radius is not equal to the front cap, thus the alignment issues.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
On my 05 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, the engine compartment hood does not close properly. It seems to be too low with a wide gap at top where it stands away from the front cap
My '05 Suncruiser 38R is the same way. Couple of years ago I took it to a Workhorse service center (now closed) for an oil change and it came back that way. Tried to adjust it but never made much difference. From head-on it looks OK - sideways you can see it.

It latches but has a gap at the top.
Hey, I get more air over the engine!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well I just completed a fix on this. I installed a Hood & Deck Pin Kit I found at an autoparts store at each top corner. I left the hood latches in place and use those to set the hood on when lining up the pins. I realize this is not stainless steel (SS) but for $10 I can redo this fix any time when they start looking bad enough, or I can do a bit more investigating and find these pins in SS

The curve in the Motorhome body caused a bit of grief. The points of the pins stick out about an inch from the body. After realizing the hole alignment issue I ended up just bending the pins enough to line up with the holes in the hood. Since the threaded portion has to be perpindicular to the Motorhome body. The bend is just above the threaded portion and it all works fine. I bought large rubber fender washers to keep some distance between the metal and the surface of the hood itself.

I actually removed the hinges and found that I also had the infamous broken hinge(glue broke away) from the body. It sure makes it a lot easier to check fluids etc now that I can remove the hood totally very quickly.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnpe View Post
I have been trying to adjust mine also since I got it two years ago. It seems to be the same as yours as far as having an open gap at the top. I sure hope you find a solution since I have beat myself up for not being able to find a fix. Keep us informed of your trials. Thanks
Jim here from WI. I have the same exact problem. Been in and out of the shop and is worse now than ever-adding up $$$. I realize this was posted was sometime ago however, wondering if you could send me a play by play of your fix? Perhaps some pics if you have any. We are recently retired and are new to RVing. Have a 2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
cruisncasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Got your request. I will go to the rig later today and take a few pictures.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Pictures of my fix

I took these this morning.
I use the existing bottom latch on each side to hold the bottom of the hood
Set the hood on both bottom latch carrier
Tilt the hood up to align hole for pegs
I have to use a spacer on the peg between the body and the hood. This spacer is just to make the hood not rattle .
Put pin through peg to secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8103.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	167417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8105.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	167418  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8106.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	167419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8109.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	167420  

Old 07-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Engine hood

Thanks sooo much for the pics and the play by play. Certainly looks to be a good fix. Thanks again, Jim
cruisncasual is offline   Reply With Quote