Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Adventurer 37B. The drivers side rear-most window is an emergency exit with 2 red handles to open it. I have discovered that, when the wind comes from the drivers side, there is a whistle as the wind leaks in around that window. If I push on the pane a little, the whistling stops, but the leak increases. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing it, other than poor fitment? Can the window be "tightened up"? This whistle is very loud, especially as the wind increses. Since it is in out bedroom, right next to the bed, it keeps us awake.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Adventurer 37B. The drivers side rear-most window is an emergency exit with 2 red handles to open it. I have discovered that, when the wind comes from the drivers side, there is a whistle as the wind leaks in around that window. If I push on the pane a little, the whistling stops, but the leak increases. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing it, other than poor fitment? Can the window be "tightened up"? This whistle is very loud, especially as the wind increses. Since it is in out bedroom, right next to the bed, it keeps us awake.
Joe
Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You say that when you push on the window it will seal????
I would whittle a couple of Wedge Shaped pieces of Wood and put the Wedges in the Locking Handles, forcing the window to stay tight.
It would not 'look nice' but perhaps seal the window from the outside with Duct Tape till you can get some proper advice from the Factory People or possibly some one on here has had this and can offer a better cure!

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Does the window open? I have yet to get mine open. Maybe you could open it and add some weather stripping.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I was reading the Winny manual about the emergency exit windows and they told how to get out but stated to not be trying it just to see if it worked. Undoubtedly they are sealed to not be opened unless necessary. Could yours have been opened at some time and now doesn't seal like it is supposed to? It may need a whole new seal all the way around the window, which Winny should be able to furnish.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was reading the Winny manual about the emergency exit windows and they told how to get out but stated to not be trying it just to see if it worked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I must have missed this in the manual. Thanks for the info.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I suggest that you dismantle a wooden snap clothespin ... whittle the ends to make a small hardwood shim.

Slide these shims between the red handles and the frame to cause the window to close tighter ...

<span class="ev_code_RED">Make sure that you put the shims in so that in case of an emergency the window still opens</span>
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Wedge or Shim...I think we are thinking the same things there SkiGramps....

Where did you Ski?
Maine NH and Vermont for us.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for the delayed reply fellows, but I am on theroad and last night I was in a area that didn't have WIFI. Anyhoo... If you re-read my OP, you will notice that when I push on the pane, the whistling stops but the leak gets worse. Ergo, a wedge won't solve the issue.

The window has never been opened by myself or the original owner. I think a call to Winnie is in order, I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.
Joe
Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Joe ...

You are thinking of putting the shim in the wrong place ...

Put the shim between the window frame and the latch portion of the red handle ...

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">That will cause the window to close TIGHTER</span>

The whistling disappears when you push on the window because the opening gets wider ... if you place the shim behind the latch on the red handle it will close the window tighter ..
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Skigramp. Yesterday was a long hard day and I guess my mind wasn't functioning well. I will give that a go.
Joe