Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Follow up to the "travel lock" problem. Mine have worked fine for the past four years after installing the new motor and thrust washer. I have noticed one related problem however. My Itasca 32h has about 35K miles on it and during a recent trip I noticed the slide thumping even though the locks were engaged. This occurred on very rough roads within a campground, not on the open road. After returning home, I looked at the dog leg that makes contact with the side wall plate and noticed that the contact point was worn from rubbing. Winnebago tech support acted like they had never heard of the problem, so my situation is unique or they are clueless.

The locks are always run to refusal, so they are making contact with the side wall, but I guess that there is enough play to allow the wear to occur. I filled the worn spots with super hard epoxy and then bonded some carpet over that for additional padding.

Seems like the manufacturer should have fabricated a rubber boot to go over the contacting portion of the dog leg. The current metal on metal design isn't that great.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

And..... on my system the slide lock has a weep hole on the outside wall. It is very visible. Looks like a big pimple. Make sure it is always clean and open or water may enter the RV.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

We are new to this forum since we just traded our ERA for a 2014 Itasca Sunova 33C. I have been reading this thread with great interest. Looks like all the issues were a few years ago and have hopefully been mostly resolved by Winnie. Looking at our manuals I am a bit confused. Please correct any errors I make concerning our unit. We have a Power Gear for the front right slide. Looks like lubing the gear rack is about all that is needed and there is no slide lock other than the motor itself.

We have the Lippert slides in the BR and kitchenLR area. They get more interesting. Looks like the slide lock button activates the slide locks and has been a source of trouble. Ours must not have been locked when we bought it because after we got it home, which was a five hour drive, we operated the slides by pushing the Unlock button only momentarily not the seven seconds I now read we should have. They opened fine and we had no opening at all after our drive home. I wonder if most use or don't use the lock mechanism? I see no drain hole on our Lippert slides for the lock mechanism. Also lubing the slide coupler and "gib" according to a YouTube video I watched is iffy. Hard to know if you really lubed the right area or not.

I assume that the key locking the slides on or off simply cuts or restores power to all the slide motors. Is this correct? Any other help or ideas?
Old 04-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

George,

I'm sure you know but I'm just going to state this, that every manufacture and in many cases for every year an RV is built, can and does change some of the features of their RV's. Mine for instance required the lock/unlock rocker switch to be held in until the motor stopped and yes that was about 5-8 seconds.

I do have the Winnebago on/off key for the slides that you are talking about. Basically I think it is there to keep young fingers from pushing slide buttons when that is not a good idea. My key is high up on my electrical management system (EMS) and it has caused me some consternation over the past 8 years. Once the service people turned it off and It took me some time to figure out all the processes that kept the slide from working until I finally found that the key had been turned off. Another time was when the key was just slightly bumped from the "on" position that it was not really visible until again figuring out what happened. I have learned to look for that situation first for any slide problems of not operating. I leave mine off all of the time.

So yes, it cuts off and restores power to the slide electronics that control the motor.

The electronic control modules for my system are in the electrical bay behind a panel that has to be removed. I know this why? Because when a service facility had to fix something they had to remove the control wires to the electronics and never plugged them back in and my small slide (12 Ft) would not operate.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve258 View Post
Anyone having trouble with the electric slide out lock? Only works now and then.
Is your slide lock in the slide ceiling/roof? The thrust original thrush washer would get jammed in mine. I bought two repair kits from PowerGear. What was included was a new redesigned motor and thrust washer for each lock. The instructions seemed adequate for doing all the needed replacements and adjustments. Also, a call to PowerGear will get you some good help.

Rick Y
Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #46
Winnebago Master

Rick,
That was the field service modification that came out when they knew they were having trouble. No notifications were sent out by any company that the possibility of the slide not working and the fix was available.

It's a shame when things like that happen. When I know something is wrong I fix it immediately but without good information we have to wait until it breaks to find out there was a problems and there is a fix.

Manufacturers should be held highly accountable when things like that happen.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Rick,
That was the field service modification that came out when they knew they were having trouble. No notifications were sent out by any company that the possibility of the slide not working and the fix was available.

It's a shame when things like that happen. When I know something is wrong I fix it immediately but without good information we have to wait until it breaks to find out there was a problems and there is a fix.

Manufacturers should be held highly accountable when things like that happen.
For years Winnebago had a top rating for QC and service. Now it is just another RV manufacture like Thor and Ford chassis. Sell them with good advertising. Forget the customer once out the door. So sad.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

slide locks a mystery

Oh folks I guess I am a newbie and I feel a little silly posting this but I have a 2007 journey 34 H and look as I might I dont know where the silly slide locks are located I looked under the slide on top the slide in the overhead cabinets and no luck Can anyone direct to the mystery spot where theses things are located appreciate the help
nohvccbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

My 2007 Winnebago Voyage did not have slide locks, it was a gas rig so not sure if the Journey had them or not that year.

David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

nohvccbob - Not sure how your 34H is configured and was too lazy to look it up. My Itasca 32h had a full wall slide on the street side with two locks. Look next to the roof inside the cabinets on the slide side. You should find as many black boxes inside the cabinets as you have locks. The lock mechanisms are inside those boxes. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohvccbob View Post
Oh folks I guess I am a newbie and I feel a little silly posting this but I have a 2007 journey 34 H and look as I might I dont know where the silly slide locks are located I looked under the slide on top the slide in the overhead cabinets and no luck Can anyone direct to the mystery spot where theses things are located appreciate the help
See if this helps: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_159301.pdf
It is located in the cabinet to the right of the microwave. There should be a black plastic box screwed to the slide ceiling.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

My 2007 Journey 36G does in fact have a slide lock and likely your 34H does as well. It would be located at the mid point of the slide and is accessible through an over head cabinet. Mine does not work, but it is something I plan to investigate. Interestingly enough my main slide has the lock but the bedroom slide does not, wonder why??
Old 04-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

I have done some reading on the slide locks, and from what I can gather they do not exist to keep the slide from moving. Since all the pulling and pushing is from the hydraulic cylinders at the bottom, the slide lock does that last bit of pulling for a good seal. I have it on the list to look at with my maintenance provider, will see what they say.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Maybe the slide locks on your RV are different, but the slide locks on my 32h were definitely locks to keep the slide from moving after being retracted. My slide mechanism was mechanical with two motors running individual jack screws.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

We are in agreement that the lock prevents the slide from moving out. The only difference is that what I have read states this is to provide a better seal at the top of the slide out. Unless there is a problem with the hydraulic cylinder that is allowing hydraulic fluid to pass by the slide will not move out.

The operation is the same, the purpose is where I am hearing something different.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #56
Winnebago Owner

My locks never exerted enough force on the sidewall to pull in the slide. You ran them to refusal, but that wasn't enough to move the side or compress the seal. their motors weren't that strong.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #57
Winnebago Master

Sealing when slide comes in

I was having a slide lock repaired at the factory several years ago. I was shown by my technician that the top of the slide makes wall contact before the bottom. The lock only prevents outward drifting when traveling. Thus "Travel" locks.

In most cases the thrust washer becomes jammed in the worm gear of the lock motor shaft. In my case they had a repair kit that addressed this problem which included a replacement motor.

I had another lock failure some time later and I bought the parts and did the repair myself. It takes a bit of time but is not difficult. Keeping the drain port free of bugs is most important. Even with the improved parts the system can fail when water corrodes the components. A good grease of the gear helps.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:49 AM   #58
Winnebago Master

Sounds like my research has given me bad information on the purpose of the locks. My RV Tech will be looking at this next week.

I have located the drain port at the center of my slide out. the hole is pretty small. What have you used to clean it out?
Old 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #59
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Sounds like my research has given me bad information on the purpose of the locks. My RV Tech will be looking at this next week.

I have located the drain port at the center of my slide out. the hole is pretty small. What have you used to clean it out?
I use pipe cleaners. Use care when inserting it. Work it in slowly so it doesn't kink when it hits resistance from a critter crud-up. It should go in a inch or more. One symptom of the drain being plugged is water will run down the inside wall from the motor cover in the cabinet.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #60
Winnebago Master

I will have to get some pipe cleaners then. Other than seeing water inside meaning the weep hole is clogged, how do you now it is working short of spraying some water under the topper?

Tags
slide