Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Great news! I got mine out of the shop a month ago just before hitting the road on this 4 month trip. I had them "fix" both front slide locks which they found to be just jammed and in need of grease. They worked for exactly two cycles.

Do you know what the fix is?

Rick
Rick,
See my post on page 1 of this thread.

And the next post with the PDF file is not the service fix I saw for the lock mechanism. I'll try to find it.

I found it. For Winnebago it is:(on the powergearus.com tech doc site

Travel Lock/Latch Field Repair for Winnebago Ind.***Reference 82-SO519 for latest info

82-S0504
82-S0504.pdf
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

The rear slide lock on my Itasca Suncruiser with a full wall slide became intermittent shortly after purchase. The first time I took it apart and found that the motor shaft had bound up tight to the mechanism. Two or three activations later it did the same thing again. I called the local dealer and found that there was a tech bulletin on the problem. the parts kit included a new motor and thrust washer. The new thrust washer was just a flat washer, but thicker than the original roller bearing washer. Suspect that the motor was replaced because every time the motor stalled, it's overload circuit kicked in to protect it. Long story short, no problems since. I'll continue to use the locks until they prove useless.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Yep, new motor and washer. Sounds noticeably more solid as well.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

3 weeks, 7 stops, slide locks worked perfectly.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

RickO
Did you read the file on the "field fix?"
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Had the exact same problem with our slide locks from day one. After 7 tries to resolve the issue including replacing all motors twice Power Gear finally addressed the problem with the field repair kit discussed previously in this thread. Before the fix it was......leave the shop, use the locks once or maybe twice and they quit. It has now been 4 months since the field kits were installed and everything works great.

Strongly suggest th
jmiller513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Just finished a 5400 mile trip through AL, TN, KY, IL, WI, MN, ND, SD, CO, NM, TX, LA, MS and home. Locks worked every time since fix. Still haven't been able to figure out why the flat thrust washer works better than the roller bearing it replaced, but "whatever". My front lock is still running the original configuration, but hasn't shown any tendency towards jamming...yet.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Have had all three slideout locks replaced with new design under warranty. All three failed, luckily in the open position.
On my full wall slide there are two, they were the first to fail. The passenger front slide has one lock and it failed a couple months later. I stopped using it until I went to Forest City for some scheduled warranty work and they replaced it with the dew design.
So far all the replacement locks are working flawlessly.
When the full wall slide lock was not working I noticed when the door was closed hard the top rear corner of the slide would jump out and back in I assume form the air pressure from the door. That convinced me that at least on that slide I want to use the slide locks.
Good Luck on yours,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Slide Lock Fix

As noted elsewhere the slide locks on our 2011 Itasca 42QD have been problematic from the start. When into the dealer after our first trip the dealer tried the technical fix described in Powergear 82-S0504 posted earlier in this thread. About 8 out of 10 times the locks still jam down. It got so frequent that I removed the slide lock covers and it takes me about 1 minute to unjam them, but it's annoying. So....

Called Lichtsinn Motors today, they had the fix kits described in
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0519.pdf. It's a new motor and thrust washer. Given I'm out or close to out of warranty and the hassle of getting to and from the dealer and leaving the coach while they order parts, I opted to buy 3 new slide lock upgrade kits. $69.95 each.

I'll let the forum know how things go once installed.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

My problematic slide lock has been fine since installing the "kit". Hope you have similar luck. Bummer that you felt that you needed to buy them yourself. My local dealer ordered the parts for me and I installed them myself. Just had to give them back the motor for return to Winnebago.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Just had the slide lock "field repair" done on our MH. I noticed the problem just before we left on a cross country trip. During the trip I had the cover off and each time I "unlocked" the slide I made sure I pushed the button to "lock" just enough to take the pressure off the wormgear and had no problems all summer but I still left the cover off just in case. I e-mailed the manufacturer about getting the repair kit but they would only send it to an "authorized" facility. I downloaded the PDF file for repair of the lock and found the only thing added was a bievel (sp?) washer which is a washer with a concave shape, the theory being it would prevent the worm gear from overloading and jamming. I could not get one of these washers locally so let it go till we returned home...so far it works with the repair the dealer made...had to wait 10 days for the part to be shipped though..
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

The beveled thrust washer replaces the stock roller bearing. My repair with the new washer hasn't bound up yet. The full "kit" also replaces the motor. Probably just a precaution because the thermal overload protection device weakens a little ever time it is stressed. It's inside the motor housing, so it's just easier to replace the whole motor.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

If I could have found a washer I could have fixed myself in about 10 minutes.....
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

garrykk,

I have the 2012 Vista 35F and am having a problem with the slide lock. In my case, I press the slide lock button and nothing happens. Is that the same failure mode you had?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

When my slide lock would fail, it would stick and nothing would happen when you pushed the switch. No noise nothing. Before I had the upgrde done, I could tap on the lock and it would work for a while, then get stuck again. Since the upgrade has been done they have worked without issue.

Good Luck,
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Knock on wood, ours have worked without issues for a year and 8000 miles of fulltime use.

The factory checked them last month while having warranty work done and said they were the new design.

I look at these locks differently. They provide structure integrity, especially on our full wall slide. If the slide mechanisms are operating properly, the slide will not move during travel. The only time our previous coach with HWH moved was when the solenoids went bad. Our current coach with Powergear, dinnette slide, moved out during travel in the bottom rear corner, about 1 to 2 inches. The factory found that the brake was not set. It has not moved since.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #37
Winnebago Watcher

Help...Itasca 32h slide lock location

This coach is new to us & driver side slide lock is sticking/hanging up. Thanks to the posts, I have the service bulletin, but...

Where are the locks located?

Thanks
philair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

If like mine, they are in the cabinet above the slide under a plastic cover.

Good Luck,
David
Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #39
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, got 'em

Now the fun part, but learning all the time!
philair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Don't know about your system but mine had a recall (Kwikee) several years ago. The recall was to make an adjustment/removal of the screw that held something in place. They had added a flat washer and a lock washer which caused the head of the screw to rub against the worm gear shaft. Removing the flat washer corrected the problem.

In the interim, should it bind up and the slide not move. take the plastic cover off the box and grab the shaft with a pair of pliers. Have someone push the control button and wiggle the shaft on the auto-lock.

Tags
slide