Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ok, what am I doing wrong? Yesterday I had the electric furnace on and it was getting the room up to temperature at a pretty good speed. The MH was 44 degrees inside. I sat the thermostat at 70 degrees, and it kicked off at 55. Would not go any warmer or run anymore. What am I doing wrong? I did try and mover the thermostat up to 80 just to see if it had a bad sensor, and still no luck.

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ok, what am I doing wrong? Yesterday I had the electric furnace on and it was getting the room up to temperature at a pretty good speed. The MH was 44 degrees inside. I sat the thermostat at 70 degrees, and it kicked off at 55. Would not go any warmer or run anymore. What am I doing wrong? I did try and mover the thermostat up to 80 just to see if it had a bad sensor, and still no luck.

Bob
Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Clarification -- you have an electric heat pump, and one (maybe two) LP (gas) furnaces. In my rig, the bedroom LP furnace has it's own thermostat. The main LP furnace is linked to the Coleman Mach thermostat that also runs the ac/heat pump. "Gas Heat" setting equals LP furnace. "Elec Heat" setting equals Heat Pump (with below caveats).

The heat pump normally will operate at temps above 35-40, depending on humidity. Below that temp, it will "lock out" and shut down or just not come on at all and the Coleman Mach thermostat will default to the main LP furnace when the temp falls apx 5 degrees below the set temp. If you switch the thermostat to "Gas Heat" it should maintain the room to the set temp.

If you turn the thermostat up more than 3 degrees higher than the room temp, the system is designed to turn on BOTH the heat pump and the main LP furnace to bring the room temp up faster. After the room has come up to the set temp, only the heat pump should come on to maintain the set temp.

Why did the "electric furnace" (I presume you mean heat pump) only raise the room temp to 55 and then shut off? (were both the heat pump from the ceiling vents, and LP furnace from the floor vents operating?) Was the outside temp below 40 degrees? If so, the heat pump likely went into lockout due to the low temp. If you were unable to run the LP furnace in those conditions, you may have a problem there.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

sorry i did not get back to you right, i have gotten this flu bug for the last month, and it really kicked my butt this week, anyway. it is the elec heat pump i was talking about, i am going to try it again this weekend, we are suppose to have a heat wave of 55 on Sunady. thanks for the tips
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

We're still trying to get the hang of this heat situation too.

When it shuts off, it stays off for 2 hours, I think. We thought it was broken and added it to the list of things to get fixed. However, when we tried it the next day, it was functioning again.

And the thing we are finding, as has been brought up on this forum several times, is that you'll have to have the thermostat set point not more than 5 degrees above the ambient temperature. So what we've done when wanting just to use the electric heat pump is to set the thermostat for just a few degrees above the temperature and then keep "inching" it up every 3 or 4 minutes. If we don't, the LP furnace takes over.

Are we doing it right?

Here's a quote from the article somebody quoted in another thread from Winnie:

The efficiency of a heat pump decreases as the outdoor air temperature drops, so supplementary heat is often needed when the outside temperature is freezing. This system is set to automatically start the LP gas furnace to assist the heat pump if room temperature cools to 5 degrees F or more below the thermostat set point. You may wish to manually switch to furnace heat to maintain a higher temperature when outside temperatures begin to reduce the efficiency of the heat pump. The heat pump will not operate when the outside temperature falls below 36 degrees F.

To Operate the Heat Pump

" Slide the thermostat switch to electric heat mode.

" If the inside temperature is 5 degrees or more below the thermostat set point, both the heat pump and the furnace will run initially to bring the interior temperature up to the set point as quickly as possible. (If the inside temperature is 4 degrees or less below the set point, then only the heat pump will run initially.)

" When the thermostat calls for heat again, only the heat pump will run. The heat pump will remain the sole heat source unless it cannot maintain the inside temperature. If the inside temperature falls five degrees below the set point, the furnace will assist the heat pump until the set point is reached.

If the furnace must assist the heat pump three times in a row, the thermostat will shut down the heat pump for two hours and furnace will take over as the heat source. After two hours the heat pump will become active again and try to be the primary heat source.

The furnace acts as a standby heat source if the outside temperature drops below a point that the heat pump can no longer extract heat from the outside air to maintain the desired inside temperature.

Closed or blocked vents and a dirty air filter can hinder the efficiency of a heat pump. See Air Conditioner Filter for location and instructions.

" Be sure ceiling vents are open to distribute heat pump output air. Also make sure furniture, clothing items, packages or other obstructions do not block the air return air grills beneath the rear bed.

" The filter should be checked monthly for dirt build-up and replaced as needed. The air filter is disposable woven fiberglass type, which cannot be cleaned and should be replaced when coated with dust.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when wanting just to use the electric heat pump is to set the thermostat for just a few degrees above the temperature and then keep "inching" it up every 3 or 4 minutes. If we don't, the LP furnace takes over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the way to warm things up using just the heat pump. We never raise the thermostat more than 3 degrees above room temp to use just the heat pump -- beyond that, the LP furnace will kick on.

I don't know about the 2 hour shut down period when the heat pump locks out. I have been able to get ours back on by moving the thermostat down below room temp, hear it click, and then raise the thermostat to get it to come on again. Of course, it just quits again because the outside temp is too low for it to operate!!

One it has "locked out" due to low temp, things do work better if you switch the thermostat to gas heat. The LP furnace will then work to keep the room at whatever temp you set.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I posted this in a previous thread. I don't think most folks are aware of the second reason the heatpump is shut down, which may apply in this case.

There are 2 different ways the gas furnace turns on when the thermostat is set for electric heat.

The following is one way, which is when the heat pump can't keep up with the set temp:

Heat Pump Example To Bring On Gas Furnace As Backup Heat

Setpoint Indoor Temp. Operation
70 70+ No functions occur
\\\ 69 Heat Pump turns on (Primary heat source)
71 Heat Pump turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Heat Pump turns on
65 Gas Furnace turns on, Heat Pump turns off (Heat Pump not able to satisfy Thermostat) (First strike for backup heat counter)
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Heat Pump turns on
65 Gas Furnace turns on, Heat Pump turns off (Heat Pump is again unable to satisfy Thermostat), (Backup heat counter reaches 3rd strike and Heat Pump is locked out for 2 hours), backup heat counter is reset if Heat
Pump is running for more than 20 minutes and does not call for backup heat
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Gas Furnace turns on (Becomes Primary heat source)
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat Satisfied)
\\\ After 2 hour lockout
69 Heat Pump turns on (Resumes as Primary heat source)
65 Gas Furnace turns on, Heat Pump turns off (Becomes Primary heat source) (Heat Pump is locked out for another 2 hours)
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat Satisfied)
\\\ After 2 hour lockout
69 Heat Pump turns on (Resumes as Primary heat source)
71 Heat Pump turns off (Thermostat Satisfied) (Backup heat counter is
reset any time Heat Pump satisfies thermostat setpoint and does not need Gas Furnace)
The word "DIFF" will display on LCD when backup heat is operating and the heat pump is locked out. There is a 30 second delay between
Stage 1 and Stage 2. There is also a 3 minute anti-short cycle delay time for cooling.

The second way is when the outdoor freeze sensor opens & shuts down the heat pump. Under this condition, the gas furnace will operate. BUT, according to the manual, in this case it will come on when the indoor temp reaches 45 deg F & turn off when the indoor temp reaches 60 deg F. At this time the thermostat should be changed over to gas.

I did have this happen to me once. Took me awhile to figure out. Once you change the tstat to gas the thermostat will operate as you have set it.

Hope I haven't confused anyone.
UNQUOTE
Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all for the help. I tried the 5 degree increment yesterday and it worked great.

THANKS