Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
KIX
Winnebago Master

Electric door locks

Our coach came factory equipped with main and basement door locks that can be controlled by a keyless system. There is not a key pad but rather key fobs. They receiver was made by SCS-Frigette based in Ft. Worth, TX. Our coach is now 8 years old and I'm preparing to purchase another receiver to replace one that's about 2 years old and just quit working. This will be the 4th replacement. I cannot be reprogrammed however it is getting power AND the door locks do work electrically when just using the lock switches rather than the wireless.
Is anyone else having problems with this type of system? Anyone know who may have a reasonably priced replacement receiver? Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have an 03 Advantage with the keyless/electronic locks. Have you replaced the battery in the remote? They do get weaker over time and use. It is a 12v small battery and I've found them at Radio Shack as well as other places. I have programmed my remotes and replaced one that got lost/destroyed, but about every year or so I've found the battery to get to a point where the range is very short or won't work at all.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

I did test the batteries in all 4 remotes with a digital VOM. All are good. I tried to reprogram the receiver on the coach and it's supposed to 'click' after holding the program button for 4 seconds. It does not click. From previous times when the receiver has failed the result was the receiver was defective. And that's what I suspect this time.....again.
Anyone know where I can buy SCS-Frigette parts without going to a Winne dealer? Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Kix...... Recently on another forum it was posted that SCS has closed down. So parts may really become a problem. It might be wise to look for another system altogether if that is the case. I have the same system as you do but no problems sofar.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine are the same, and are intermittent ... works one time but not the next time. Changing battery in the remote has no effect.

There was an interesting discussion on another forum (forget where) recently about this, and someone also had a problem with their wireless doorbell system, and when they "disconnected" the doorbell system the remote locks went to working fine! I was never able to find out what they meant by "disconnected," but I think they actually removed the doorbell button from the grab handle. Perhaps the frequencies cause interference?? I haven't tried that yet, but have been tempted!!! My doorbell sticks when it is pushed (WD 40 hasn't helped), and sometimes goes off at will, even while driving!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Thanks Harry. I'll find out tomorrow when I try to call them.

Paul, You may be referring to my episode with the doorbell and door locks. I found, after several weeks that my doorbell was stuck. When I "unstuck" it the locks worked. When that was happening I found that putting the FOB very close to the receiver allowed it to work. Any distance from the receiver and it did not work.
Another clue to where the problem may be is to press the reprogram button for 4 seconds. If no clicking then the module is the problem. My module will not click........again........for the fourth time. Will have to replace again.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hello, Kix. I haven't had the issues you've had with the receiver, but I have had sensitivity issues (distance, weakness, repeatedly pushing the buttons on the fob, etc). Fresh batteries only seem to be more effective for a short while.

If you come across a diagram of that system, I'd like to see how the whole antenna thing works. If it is internal, with passive coupling, it may be the cause of most of these issues.

I can't speak to the resetting of the unit. I've never had to.

As far as SCS being in business, they have an active website, but they don't answer the phone. I've tried to get schematics of the system but nobody answers.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Tag on to this discussion a problem we seem to be having with our electronic keypad -- we have repeated the setup steps several times without success. Our electronic key fobs work without a problem for the entry and compartment doors. Our other issue in this regard was the remote fob for the awnings -- worked intermittently. Cleaned the battery connectors and it seems to be behaving for now!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have had the same problems with our 2008 Tour. In one year I am on my third reciever unit. Cross my fingers its still working.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Well guys, here's an update on my issue.
SCS-Frigette is indeed closed and is in bankruptcy, so I'm told. I was also told that the family that sold SCS to the present owners is taking the company back over. Or at least taking over the parts portion of the business whenever they complete their deal with the creditor.

I have two receivers that have failed. If anybody out there knows PCB's and would to try to repair them I'll be glad to send them to them. Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My door locks have never been reliable from the beginning. Finally, they just quit responding to the remote and the key pad. So I have decided it is not worth my time to worry about it. The keys work just fine. Oddly enough the remote and keypad work for the compartment doors. Since autos have had these systems for decades you would think that MH systems would be far more reliable. These systems on Winnebago products have been a headache for years.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ours quit on the last trip. It's time to break out keys! <shudder>

The door was acting up periodically. It wouldn't respond to the key fob, but would respond to the button if you held it for a couple of seconds. Then it quit responding at all.

Like yours, our basement locks do work, so they got it half right.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This morning the door lock started working again. I pressed the wrong button when reaching for the outdoor light, and heard a click. I grabbed they key fob and tried it and it worked too. It hasn't worked for a couple of weeks, but I didn't have time to take it to the dealer.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Have you cleaned the contacts on the door? There are two small contacts between the door frame and the door - front side about 3/4 way down the frame - that provide the electrical contact between the door lock mechanism and the electronics. They sometimes get corroded and won't work. Clean them lightly and try the key fob. If your bin doors are working and the door lock isn't this may very well be where your problem is.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Another thing to check is the spring/tabs that hold the battery inside the key fob in place. On one of mine, that was the problem, once I made sure that there was pressure on both ends of the battery, it started working again.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Just an aside, we all know that most car/truck remotes work for years with no problem -- other than a new battery every couple of years. Why is so difficult for an RV manufacturer to obtain a quality remote lock system?