Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electric Door Lock

Hi, I have a 2011 Journey and the electric door lock has quit working. There is a switch in the switch panel by the co-pilot's seat and it does not do any thing (at least you can't hear the clicking it used to make). And the wireless pendant on the key ring doesn't work either. Can anyone point me in a direction to start trouble shooting this issue.....THANKS

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefbvfd View Post
Hi, I have a 2011 Journey and the electric door lock has quit working. There is a switch in the switch panel by the co-pilot's seat and it does not do any thing (at least you can't hear the clicking it used to make). And the wireless pendant on the key ring doesn't work either. Can anyone point me in a direction to start trouble shooting this issue.....THANKS
Hey Chief,
Well, maybe the first and most simplest thing you might look at are the door contacts about 1/2 way up the door, next to the hinges. There's about two or three if I recall. They can get a bit covered with some tad bit of corrosion and what-not. Other than those, I can't help you. But, if you find out what your issue was and where the fix was, please do let us know so that others may learn.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Fire Up,
I found them and there are 2 of them. They looked clean, but I cleaned them up anyhow. Still don't work but thanks a bunch for the suggestion.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Next step would be to measure voltage on the two contacts (in the door frame) while someone pushes the "lock" button/pendant. Should be a quick 12 volts. Note the polarity when doing that test for a future test. If that is ok then measure the ohms between the two contacts in the door. Should be no more than around 1K ohms. If all is good to this point then jumper 12 volts (note polarity from first test) to the terminals to see if they work now.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Check the connections on the backside of the door contacts. Ours came factory equipped with one of the connections having fallen off and the electric door lock never worked until we found the problem. Could be as easy as a broken or disconnected wire!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our MH electric lock quit too. Camping World will replace the powered lock in the door next week. The remote unit is working but no latching sounds are heard because the power lock is bad/frozen. When that powered lock failed(ours failed in the unlock position) we couldn't even lock the door with a key, had to use the deadbolt when we wanted to lock the door.
Per an RV tech. at Camping World, this is a very good reason to always leave a side window unlocked when you leave the coach.

You might find this thread interesting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone. We are on the road now, I will check the voltage and resistance when we get home the week after next. Thanks again....

Old 04-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the help guys and toddb, you're the winner, I took the contacts out and sure enough, one of the wires came off. Hooked it up and it works like a new one......Thanks again for all your help....

Tags
door