Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electric charging problems 2015 Winnebago Via 25T

I have a 2015 Winnebago Via 25T.

My house batteries went dead on the last day of traveling from Florida to Nova Scotia, Canada.
I spent three nights in free camping spots and did not use my generator. I assumed that the charge I got from driving would keep my batteries up as we don't use a lot of power when traveling.
When I got home I plugged into shore power and found volts would go up to 12.8 only.
I am not a techie, so went to visit my friend.
He tested batteries, they were OK. Batteries did not seem to be charging when I ran the engine. Started the generator and batteries went up to 13.8.
Found the chassis batteries and they were charging at 13.9 volts.
Seems to us the problem is that batteries are not receiving a charge.
Batteries were replaced in November 2018 on way to Florida.

Ant thoughts??
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am a newbie to all this but I come from nearly 30 years of sailboats. Did you maybe leave something on that should be off when travelling? Something is/was drawing enough energy to deplete the house batteries, and it was probably running for awhile before it drained your batteries completely. Something small. A fridge light on a not properly closed fridge? That's where I would start looking.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It does sound like some sort of parasitic or unintended draw on the coach/house batteries. Is your fridge a 3-way, AC/DC/Propane? If so, was it on DC when you stopped driving for any length of time? Absorption fridges with a DC setting can be battery killers. Or as Eric said, some other draw down. Check the external storage compartments, if any of them have DC lighting.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It appears that batteries are not charging when engine running. With tester hooked up there is no change in volts when the engine is started and revved up.
Is there another way to check this.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Just Trying to Help

xray-

1) Unplug the coach from all 120V power sources.
2) Take a voltage reading at the house battery posts
3) On the dash, press the BATT BOOST switch up. Hear anything?
4) With the BATT BOOST switch up, take a voltage reading at the house battery posts
5) Release the BATT BOOST Switch. Does it go to the down position, or stay stuck in the middle?
6) Start the engine
7) Repeat steps 3) through 5)
8) Stop the engine

Report your results.

Also, what is the position of the COACH BATT switch near the door?

We're trying to determine if the problem cause is in the BATT BOOST switch or relay- or elsewhere.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray View Post
It appears that batteries are not charging when engine running. With tester hooked up there is no change in volts when the engine is started and revved up.
Is there another way to check this.
Are you sure your 2015 Vista was built with the parts to charge the house batteries while the engine is running?

It takes several extra $$ to add the parts to do the charging.

BTW is this one of the Vista's that Winnie was selling for $69,000. I remember there was a massive sale where they were pushing the entry level coach at a really low price.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My unit is a VIA 25T, not a vista.

Will try suggestions re battery swithches, thanks all.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My unit is a VIA 25T, not a vista.

Will try suggestions re battery swithches, thanks all.
OOPS. My bad. I read the original post too quickly.

Here is a link to the Operators manuals for 2015 Winnie MH's: http://https://winnebagoind.com/reso...uals2015-2.php

In section 6 of the Via manual there is a picture of the Power center where the 120V AC circuit breakers are located.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Do you know what voltage your alternator is producing while driving? DO you have a real voltmeter on the engine electrical system? In my experience the alternator will produce a charging voltage only until the starting battery is recharged. The cable to the house batteries is only seen as another 12 v load and not as a set of batteries to be recharged. As pointed out above you may not have the cabling and devices in place to do what you expected. In some rigs the cable is not large enough gauge to maintain a charging voltage over that distance. Too much voltage loss.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
OOPS. My bad. I read the original post too quickly.

Here is a link to the Operators manuals for 2015 Winnie MH's: http://https://winnebagoind.com/reso...uals2015-2.php

In section 6 of the Via manual there is a picture of the Power center where the 120V AC circuit breakers are located.
There's something wrong with the link posted by al1florida. Try this one:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...uals2015-1.php

I checked the Via manual and page 6-9 clearly states "House batteries are automatically charged by the chassis alternator while the engine is running."
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
There's something wrong with the link posted by al1florida. Try this one:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...uals2015-1.php

I checked the Via manual and page 6-9 clearly states "House batteries are automatically charged by the chassis alternator while the engine is running."
Thanks BobC. I was going to correct my post, but there is no "edit" function available.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

House battery charging by the alternator when the engine is running is controlled by a charging relay. You will need to locate that relay (since the Via is on a Sprinter chassis, it might be under the passenger seat) and replace it. Fairly simple job.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The VIA has a 200 amp alternator, (We have a Via), and run the fridge on 12 volts when driving. (Absorption type refrigerator). Agree that the relay which combines the alternator and the house battery is bad.Start at the battery and check voltages along the way, to be certain. It is possible that there just could be corrosion. The wiring diagram on the 15 seems to be the same as on my 13 25T.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

As I stated earlier, battery receiving 14.2 volts from the generator, same from sure power, seems that there is no charge from chasis alternator.
Checked the alternator and is iss putting out 14 volts, but it is not getting to the house batteries as it should.It makes sense that it is the charging relay, so will get that checked.
Does anyone know where it could be connected, and is it something that could be replaced by me with help from a talented friend.

Thanks, everyone for all the assistance.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
As I stated earlier, battery receiving 14.2 volts from the generator, same from sure power, seems that there is no charge from chasis alternator.
Checked the alternator and is iss putting out 14 volts, but it is not getting to the house batteries as it should.It makes sense that it is the charging relay, so will get that checked.
Does anyone know where it could be connected, and is it something that could be replaced by me with help from a talented friend.

Thanks, everyone for all the assistance.
Winnebago has excellent wiring diagrams for all their RV's here: https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Old 05-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my 2012 Winnebago Access. I replaced the solenoid and the problem was solved. The procedure is actual changing of the solenoid is not difficult, my only problem was finding it. Have had no problems charging from the chassis battery once changed.
walleyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Taliked to Winnebago Service

Talkerd with Winnebago today. They agree that problem is likely the charging relay. Boschpart # 1-141-4939=-4. Checked on the internet and was not able to find thpart or a supplier. Think I will replace it with a Bluewave relay, Any thoughts on this.
By the way they said tthe relay is in the elactrical box which is located under the passenger seat.
Think sloution is near.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, believe it was a bluesea charger relay.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

We don't have a Via but the View models all have a Trombetta solenoid under the passenger seat. Sound practice is to replace it with a Cole-Hersee with a higher amp rating. You possible have something different but normally WGO puts in a lower than optimal amp rated solenoid on the Views meaning if you find the part under the PS seat and get the info from the wiring diagrams you might want to get higher amp model. The things get pitted and develop resistance and then - no charge gets to the house battery while driving. I believe it is called a battery isolation solenoid. You should recognize it from the wiring diagrams. Goes without saying, disconnect both battery grounds, house and chassis, before changing the thing out - so I said it anyway.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Think I will change out both the solenoid and the relay. As I said they are both under the passenger seat.
I don't think I have a battery boost switch on the dash, but it is built into the Bluesea relay.

Tags
winnebago, ems, charging, problems