Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

DW want a better Microwave

The PO replaced the GE Advantium 120 microwave in our Horizon with a cheap non-convection, non-speed cook microwave and the DW wants a better one.

If you replaced your microwave i'd like to know the brand and model you chose and if it required any modifications to the standard mounting hardware.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

Buy the GE Advantium 120 and put it back where it belongs.

Obviously the PO really liked it so he kept it and gave you a piece of junk.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We're very happy with our Advantium!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
We're very happy with our Advantium!
Is the Advantium really worth the additional +/- $400?

From what I've read, the Advantium differs from other Speed Cook MW's only by its use of Halogen light to generate almost instantaneous heat as opposed to conventional heating elements that take longer to generate convection heat. Are there other advantages that I'm missing?

Chris - Thanks for the help on the 43W Accent Lighting. WB is sending the correct SW.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Get a Microwave convection. You'll be happy you did. We put a Sharp in our 5th wheel and have a Sharp in our MH. Loved them both
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Put back something similar to the 925 watt Advantium which was chosen for the features and lower current draw. If the circuit was sized for a sub 1,000 watt oven then it would be best to stay under that limit.

Many will use the 850 watt Sharp R1871T available through Home Depot for $449.10:

Sharp 1.1 cu. ft. Over-the-Range Convection Microwave in White-R1871T - The Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Cafe-A...1RSS/202748242

Note that the Advantium while meeting the low power draw requirement gives you a 1.7 cu ft oven instead of the 1.1 cu ft more common to that wattage. Also the Advantium despite the low wattage does not require pre-heating like the more common ovens. You would have to judge for yourself if the extra 0.6 cu ft of cooking space and the time saved not having to pre-heat is worth the extra $600 cost of the Advantium or better stated if your wife would be $600 happier not having to wait and being less restricted in the size of the cookware she can use.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We ordered the Advantium in our present 2002 DSDP and haven't been sorry. Went looking at another rig and DW was pleased to see it had the Advantium. Unfortunately it isn't in the MH I like!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
Is the Advantium really worth the additional +/- $400?
From what I've read, the Advantium differs from other Speed Cook MW's only by its use of Halogen light to generate almost instantaneous heat as opposed to conventional heating elements that take longer to generate convection heat. Are there other advantages that I'm missing?
The main advantage for you, will be not the $400 cost.
But you will have a HAPPY WIFE. That is priceless.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
The PO replaced the GE Advantium 120 microwave in our Horizon with a cheap non-convection, non-speed cook microwave and the DW wants a better one.
If you replaced your microwave i'd like to know the brand and model you chose and if it required any modifications to the standard mounting hardware.
KD4XR
If your mounting plate was changed by the PO you may have to replace it with the one packaged with the new oven, (which is not a difficult job).

However, last week, in a Louisiana State Park, I helped a fellow RVer from Iowa, (with a '94 Vouge MH), replace his non-working GE microwave/convection oven with a new GE Advantium he had shipped to his campsite from an online appliance dealer in Atlanta, Georgia.

It fit the original GE mounting plate perfectly.

BTW, his DW calls it her "Multi-State Oven".

Mel
'96 Safari, (from Wisconsin)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The main advantage for you, will be not the $400 cost.
But you will have a HAPPY WIFE. That is priceless.
You got that right.

I was looking through the PO service records and it seems that the microwave and inverter were replaced at the same time. Hmmm?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:

You got that right.

I was looking through the PO service records and it seems that the microwave and inverter were replaced at the same time. Hmmm?
Many people choose to run their microwave off of the Inverter. I would NOT recommend doing that specifically for this very reason.

it only takes a few seconds to fire up the Generator to run the microwave.

Chances are it will prevent having to replace one or both.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. Making these decisions with the benefit of first hand experience makes the decision easier.

Quote:
Put back something similar to the 925 watt Advantium which was chosen for the features and lower current draw. If the circuit was sized for a sub 1,000 watt oven then it would be best to stay under that limit.
NeilV - I had not considered the amount of electrical current the microwave would draw. Thanks for mentioning that point. I was about to go with the biggest and most powerful microwave that would fit.

Quote:
Many people choose to run their microwave off of the Inverter. I would NOT recommend doing that specifically for this very reason.

it only takes a few seconds to fire up the Generator to run the microwave.

Chances are it will prevent having to replace one or both.
I tried to run the microwave with inverter power once, but the microwave sounded like it was starving for power, so I cranked up the generator. I've read that microwave ovens don't work well with inverters that produce modified sign wave output which is what my Xantrex Freedom 458 produces.

Quote:
If your mounting plate was changed by the PO you may have to replace it with the one packaged with the new oven, (which is not a difficult job).
It does appear that the backplate has been changed and it does look like replacing it is an easy job. Winnebago certainly installed some seriously heavy duty microwave mounting hardware.

The one thing I can't determine is what is the difference between the GE Advantium Cafe and Profile lines.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Poster Gocoffeer in this earlier thread GE Advantium Advantages & Operation was on the GE team that pioneered the Advantium. It looks like his second posting in the thread may answer your question re the Profile.

OnEdit: Typo fix

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

So we decided on the GE Profile Convection model PVM9179SFSS. I just couldn't justify the extra $400 for the Advantium. Today we installed it and it went into the MW enclosure without a problem until I opened the MW door. It would not open all the way. The left side of the door at the hinges is hitting the cabinet. The problem is the MW door. It does not open flush with the left side of the MW. With the door open the overall width of the MW is 30.5" which is 1/2" wider than the MW enclosure. So it seems the only option is to find another microwave or (worst case) shift the cabinets to the left 1/2 inch. Any Ideas?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
For all who contributed. My Sharp is acting up as well and we will be replacing soon. I did not consider the "Power Management" and was thinking more power, now I know better. Hope Everyone Is Having A Great Day...
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Check Lowel's and HD for deals. Also, there are other brands that might fit and have good features for the money.

I personally like this one: Shop Whirlpool 30-in 1.9-cu ft Over-the-Range Convection Microwave with Sensor Cooking Controls (Stainless Steel) at Lowes.com

But I don't know if it would fit my rig.

You could try Amazon.com.

Happy hunting.

Rick Y