Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dual pane windows

Can some of you please weigh in on pros/cons of dual pane windows in a winebago? Thanks
shpstw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Pro is insulating value - con - is that they tend to leak and loose their insulating value. When they leak they also fog up and get moisture on the inside. I just got a quote last week from Winnebago to replace the passenger window in my 2003 Adventurer, $1300 plus two hours labor. There are a couple of places that re do them however for a lot less money.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Dual pane windows are worth it! They insulate much better which virtually stops condensation problems. It is cooler or warmer inside and quieter. You will be amazed at the difference it makes over single pane windows. I would not go back to single pane windows.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Dual pane won't condensate near as quickly as the single pane. That statement gets validated every time I camp in cool weather. Windshield gathers a lot moisture while the other windows stay dry.
Dual pane are heavier, cost more, and are prone to interior leaks/fogging.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

After having two RV's with single pane windows and two Winnebago's with dual pane, I consider dual pane a must-have. Not negotiable .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had dual panes that leaked on a Bounder. Have single panes on my Winnebago now. I haven't been able to tell a huge difference, but we don't camp in very cold weather much. Having had the headache of dual panes that leaked and not seeing a huge benefit from them, I'm happy to NOT have them. So the furnace runs a little more in cold weather... meh...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

John Hilley pretty well sums it up. We have the DP windows in our 11 year old coach. Early on we had some issues with inner seal creeping however, the window mfgr, Se-Gi replaced them under warranty. If most of your travels will be in areas of non extreme climates single pane would probably work OK

Good luck with your choice

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
After having two RV's with single pane windows and two Winnebago's with dual pane, I consider dual pane a must-have. Not negotiable .
x2
Although our experience has only been with trailers so far.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Have never had any problems and wouldn't be w/o them.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #10

The leak, in and of itself does not reduce its efficiency. The condensation does. There are easy ways to 'fix' them if they leak.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Dual Pane Windows

We have a 2004 Horizon and would not go to a single pane. If yours are fogged I would recommend Sun Coast Designers in Hudson Fl. They do excellent work at a very reasonable price. They will clean and reseal all the windows in one frame for $250.00, but if they are unrepairable they will replace for about $25.00 per pane extra. Highly recommend these people. There phone number is 727-868-2773
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

After having single pane windows in two RV's we now have dual pane, and like many others, we would not go back. We camp in winter a lot, and while the windshield has lots of frost on the inside the dual pane windows do not. We have the Hehr brand windows and have not had any problems with sealing to date.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a fogged passenger window, but if I had to do it again, I would stick with the dual pane windows.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Dual pane windows have an R value in the 1.5 to 2.0 range. Single pane windows have an R value around 0.85. A 4" wall insulated with fiberglass batt insulation is roughly R19. The largest window on your MH is the windshield...single pane. We have dual pane windows on our current MH and had single pane windows on our last one. I don't see the noticeable difference, so I would chalk up the ringing endorsements to the placebo effect. The type of windows wouldn't be a major determinant for me if I was in the market.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #15

I have dual pane windows on my 5er and no winshield to subtract from the positive affect that the duals provide. Cooler in summer, warmer in winter, no inside condinsation dripping. I have had TT's without dual pane windows.They were always dripping in humdid cool weather. Regardless of the accual R rating they provide some thermal benifit and prevent interior condinsation
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

X2 with chief02. Had seal creep on a couple windows which were replaced by mfg of windows but did not lose gas in between the panes
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #17

Again, a dual pane does not have to have 'gas'. In fact, 99% of them only have plain 'ol air.

Typical window r-values. (This is with vinyl frames, aluminum are less)

Single Glass - 0.91
w/storm -

Double insulating glass
(3/16") air space -
(1/4" air space) -
(1/2" air space)
(3/4" air space)
(1/2" w/ Low-E 0.20) -
(w/ suspended film)
(w/ 2 suspended films)
(w/ suspended film and low-E) -

Triple insulating glass
(1/4" air spaces) -
(1/2" air spaces)

Addition for tight fitting drapes or shades, or closed blinds
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsims View Post
We have a 2004 Horizon and would not go to a single pane. If yours are fogged I would recommend Sun Coast Designers in Hudson Fl. They do excellent work at a very reasonable price. They will clean and reseal all the windows in one frame for $250.00, but if they are unrepairable they will replace for about $25.00 per pane extra. Highly recommend these people. There phone number is 727-868-2773
That's the thing with me. I don't want the irritation. I'm sure there are lots of great folks who, like these in Florida, do great work at a shop that's nowhere near where I live.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo View Post
That's the thing with me. I don't want the irritation. I'm sure there are lots of great folks who, like these in Florida, do great work at a shop that's nowhere near where I live.
JOHN,
where do you live? you can add this info to your avatar or signature block. there is a place in oregon that reportedly does a good job of fixing fogged double pane windows at a reasonable price.
my passenger side fwd window was fogged such that the lower part of the outside mirror was unusable.
i taped the whole inside glass with duct tape and taped a large trash bag to the bottom edge and broke out the inner pane with an automatic center punch in the lower corner. one hit and the whole inner pane of the window shattered. most of the glass came out in 1 piece. cleaning the inside seal area of small glass shards was a pita. after cleaning, my dw installed black silicon caulking around the window.
the outer pane is not tinted but i can see my mirrors normally now. that is good enough for me. i don't notice any difference in heating, cooling or defrosting with this window a single pane. it is right next to the large expanse of windshield.

http://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
JOHN,
where do you live? you can add this info to your avatar or signature block. there is a place in oregon that reportedly does a good job of fixing fogged double pane windows at a reasonable price.
my passenger side fwd window was fogged such that the lower part of the outside mirror was unusable.
i taped the whole inside glass with duct tape and taped a large trash bag to the bottom edge and broke out the inner pane with an automatic center punch in the lower corner. one hit and the whole inner pane of the window shattered.
I'm in Kentucky. I broke a pane out on my Bounder to preserve the view in my rear view mirrors. PITA only begins to describe it.

I'm probably window hexed because one of my Winnebago's single pane windows broke -- as near as I can tell -- because of the vacuum created by opening a slide.