Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Dual pane windows have an R value in the 1.5 to 2.0 range. Single pane windows have an R value around 0.85. A 4" wall insulated with fiberglass batt insulation is roughly R19. The largest window on your MH is the windshield...single pane. We have dual pane windows on our current MH and had single pane windows on our last one. I don't see the noticeable difference, so I would chalk up the ringing endorsements to the placebo effect. The type of windows wouldn't be a major determinant for me if I was in the market.
No placebo effect, there is a huge difference if you are in a colder climate. We move back and forth between a park trailer without dual pane windows and our Adventurer with at 3500' in the NC mountains. We ended up putting that shrink wrap plastic on our trailer windows and still get more ice and condensation than the dual pane windows. The sliding glass door in our park trailer is dual pane and it doesn't ice up even when all the other windows do. I'm looking to start replacing the single pane with dual pane on my trailer as problems start (like the one above my computer that the wind cracked).

And thus far, we have not had a problem with loosing the seal on our dual pane windows in our MH (knocking on wood now).

Bottom line, it depends on your use. If you going to stay in FL or AZ in the winter, not worth the money, but if you full time where there is winter, its a must have.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I've had both in AZ, but at 6300', in temperatures down to -1*F. There just isn't much difference. An R value of 2 just isn't going to keep you toasty in the cold.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

The double panes are not just for R value. In the colder climates the double glazing helps to keep frost and ice off those side window where there is not usually any defrost. Duddly Do Good the cop, will convince you with a nice ticket if you are driving around with frost on driver's side windows. I had my side window done at Speedy Auto Glass in Calgary. They measured and ordered replacement glass, removed window frame and reinstalled. They lost their shirts at $190.00 quoted price. They were 3 hours on it.
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Rainy day here in Florida Monday, temp 70 degrees, no reason to to turn on the air. Windshield fogged up, all of the double pane windows were clear. All day. Reason enough to go with the double panes, even though I have two to fix.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I'm sorry but some people are really minimizing the value of the heat loss and gain that you get with dual pane windows. We once had a trailer with a window over the bed. Whenever it was cold outside we had cold shoulders while in bed. It was noticeable! Then we got an RV with a dual pane window over the head of the bed. We no longer even notice the window! Enough said!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

How about problems seeing out the driver and passenger side windows at night? In my experience there is all sorts of glare and double images at night with the dual panes in these locations. Hard enough for these aging peepers to see at night without double refraction adding to the problem.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
How about problems seeing out the driver and passenger side windows at night? In my experience there is all sorts of glare and double images at night with the dual panes in these locations. Hard enough for these aging peepers to see at night without double refraction adding to the problem.
Is that because they are fogged?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Is that because they are fogged?
No, becuase of the dual reflections on the dual panes..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Great I'm in the process of putting in a whole new window for the passengers front side because I could not use the mirror to back up at night if there was a little bit of light outside it was like the inside glass became mirrored, oh well nothing to do now but continue on and put the new assembly in since I can't use the great big hole that's up there right now
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
A 4" wall insulated with fiberglass batt insulation is roughly R19.
Would that make most RV walls that are usually less then 2 1/2" roughly a R10?

Dual pane make the inside quieter from outside noises.
Also less sweating from temperature changes, cooking, showers, breathing etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

After a quick search, the fifth wheels I found were listed at R 7.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I stopped most all of the dual reflections on the dual panes when backing up at night. After I retired.

I now get to campgrounds in the daylight and ask for a drive through.

I only had to back up at night a couple of times. the only way I could see was to turn all inside lights off. That included the dash lights etc.
Best way was to turn the headlight switch off as the backup lights would still work.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote